2019 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
jrdupe
Junior

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by jrdupe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm

If he recruits this well at various prep schools, I can't wait to see what kind of talent he could bring to UMASS! Bring Tony Bergeron on board now!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 am
wmmmfan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 pm Hopefully Bergeron is coming aboard, he's done an excellent job everywhere he has been.

I see a Pitino connection with Papile being a friend of Bergeron, Donovan being Pitino's protégé and Donovan being McCall's mentor. Pitino had a hand in Calipari and Ford ending up here as well.
Pitino has had his hand in a lot of things!
Actually, subsequent journalism found that Pitino had little or nothing to do with Cal's arrival at UMass. (I forget. Globe, SI, ESPN?) It's a myth that Pitino himself promoted. It's been discussed here if you want to dig around.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:18 am
TruBluMaroon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am
UMassfan_19 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 am Bergeron has been retweeting a lot of stuff about UMass recently. Just RT some one realizing Santos Mitchell and weeks all go to Woodstock and santos could definitely get mitchel and weeks to UMass. He should make it a little less obvious where his future is. Personally after reading more I'm excited about him. He seems like a guy who can really coach the fundamentals of the game and his teams are supper connected which is good to see.
FYI When a coach builds a reputation for pressing full court for the entire gsme, he is not doing it to emphasize the “fundamentals”!
He also has a reputation for his work at the five star camps where he crafted there station curriculum and got noticed for his ability to teach aspects of the game
As the self appointed lead PR person for Tony Bergeron, you should know that the Five Star Camp started in 1966 and the model was developed by Hubie Brown and Chuck Daly among others. The station curriculum that you give Bergeron credit for crafting, was started by Bobby Knight. I would be curious to see what changes Bergeron made, that were enough to take credit for it. I also have some concerns about his 1/2 court offense, since I believe he does not have one. Winning in the A10 without one has proven to be difficult recently.
Didn't mean to cut into your business, but there is a lot of information that you have put forward that needs addressing.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm

You seem to have a lot of concerns about EVERYTHING.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:53 pm

I think the thing about Bergeron is (a) he should be able to recruit the prep leagues big-time (b) he knows something about coaching to win and (c) he'll bring talent with him. He also seems not have stuck around anywhere too long and hasn't been invited to coach at the Div 1 level, so those things give me pause. That said, we need an infusion of something different and he might be it. Worth a try. We gotta get out of the box we're in. I'm hoping it happens.
p.s. I think McCall can coach the half court offense, I'm not too worried about that.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am
UMassfan_19 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 am Bergeron has been retweeting a lot of stuff about UMass recently. Just RT some one realizing Santos Mitchell and weeks all go to Woodstock and santos could definitely get mitchel and weeks to UMass. He should make it a little less obvious where his future is. Personally after reading more I'm excited about him. He seems like a guy who can really coach the fundamentals of the game and his teams are supper connected which is good to see.
FYI When a coach builds a reputation for pressing full court for the entire gsme, he is not doing it to emphasize the “fundamentals”!
That’s not necessarily a true statement...being a good pressing team or a good 1/2 court defensive team are both based on sound fundamentals in what you are doing.
Woodstock teams play very well together with passion and intensity. Much of the offense runs thru Mitchell as he is a great passer who knows where to look and what the coach is wanting done in a particular play.

go_gou
Sophomore

Post by go_gou » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 pm

He's not taking over as HC so we don't need him to be perfect in every way. If Bergeron can recruit at a high level and has an impressive record of winning then he seems like a great addition to the staff.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Talk about overthinking things. Guy has deep connections to top talent, a tremendous winning record as a head coach and could bring 2-3 high level recruits to the table. This folks is what is called a no-brainer. Hope to see MM add him to the staff and UMass to retake its rightful place atop New England basketball.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:10 pm

^ true dat!
Time to Win

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 pm

UMassHoops wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm Talk about overthinking things. Guy has deep connections to top talent, a tremendous winning record as a head coach and could bring 2-3 high level recruits to the table. This folks is what is called a no-brainer. Hope to see MM add him to the staff and UMass to retake its rightful place atop New England basketball.
If this is a no-brainer, why didn’t someone else hire him years ago?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 pm
UMassHoops wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm Talk about overthinking things. Guy has deep connections to top talent, a tremendous winning record as a head coach and could bring 2-3 high level recruits to the table. This folks is what is called a no-brainer. Hope to see MM add him to the staff and UMass to retake its rightful place atop New England basketball.
If this is a no-brainer, why didn’t someone else hire him years ago?
Hiring TB before may have been a good move in the past for certain schools, what makes this much better than a good move now is the package deal with Mitchell

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:00 am

Did you know ----- (dramatic pause) that Preston Santos and TJ Weeks are both from Warwick RI and went to the same high school (Bishop Hendricken) before moving on to Woodstock?

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 am

Is he the new Vince Wahlberg???

Man, the good old days.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 am Is he the new Vince Wahlberg???

Man, the good old days.
I wonder how much of the DDM failure while Vance Walberg was on staff was due to not having appropriate players in place. You do often hear that the "cupboard was bare" in DK's first few years. And while DK was known to be a good recruiter from a stars point of view, individual talent is not the same as system talent.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:45 am

^ That is correct. I'm too tired to scroll though the threads, but in DK's first year, Chris Lowe was the PG and Chris hated the dribble drive. His turnovers were way up that year. I think it had to do with his size. Cal ran the DD at Memphis and KY, but he had 6'5 or 6'6 guards that could penetrate and finish or penetrate and dish. In DK's next 2 years, we really didn't have a point guard. Gary Correia gave it his best shot but he was a game manager, not a dynamic PG. In year 4, Chaz arrived and everything changed.