2019 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by DoctorJ » Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Mondo is a cool name at least, not that it will help...

Is the new strategy to get guys who are largely seen as needing another year to get D1 offers? Worked with Carl but IDK if we can make a habit out of it.

So is it still 3 open scholarships with East a likely signee and a couple more guys like Mondo possibilities.

I don't understand why a guy like Noah H is considering going to woodstock if he has good D1 offers. Maybe he thinks he can do better after another year but I think he would be our starting point guard this year. The way people transfer so easily, you would think the minutes available at UMass would be a grab for a guy like him.
Refuse To Lose!!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 pm Mondo is a cool name at least, not that it will help...

So is it still 3 open scholarships with East a likely signee and a couple more guys like Mondo possibilities.
I love it.... You can use this kid's name like an adjective in infinite ways...as in

That was/has a.....
Mondo possibilities
Mondo dunk
Mondo pass
Mondo defensive stop
Mondo

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Many have posted that this class is in the top 40’s in the country, but if you look at those rankings, it’s kind of bogus. It’s based on the total number of recruits not the average ranking of each recruit. For example, there are some teams with 2 recruits who are just slightly behind UMass. But, if you take the average scores of their 2 recruits, they have a better class. I love Tre Mitchell and think he will be a great A10 player, but see the rest of the class as just okay. This is a decent class, but I’m not going to get carried away until we see these guys play. I’ve leaned my lesson with this team, and as most of you know I’m not on the McCall bandwagon, but in the this should be his last year if the team doesn’t show promise.

Here’s a link to the 24/7 rankings if you want yo see what I mean:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... mRankings/
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Junior

Post by 5150 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Perhaps I am aging myself here but can't help but think of Mongo coming to town. https://purpleclover.littlethings.com/e ... g-saddles/

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 pm

78 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:28 pm Many have posted that this class is in the top 40’s in the country, but if you look at those rankings, it’s kind of bogus. It’s based on the total number of recruits not the average ranking of each recruit. For example, there are some teams with 2 recruits who are just slightly behind UMass. But, if you take the average scores of their 2 recruits, they have a better class. I love Tre Mitchell and think he will be a great A10 player, but see the rest of the class as just okay. This is a decent class, but I’m not going to get carried away until we see these guys play. I’ve leaned my lesson with this team, and as most of you know I’m not on the McCall bandwagon, but in the this should be his last year if the team doesn’t show promise.

Here’s a link to the 24/7 rankings if you want yo see what I mean:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... mRankings/
One of several reasons for looking at roster rankings rather than class rankings.

For those interested here's 247's class ranking methodology:
The Formula
where c is a specific team's total number of commits and Rn is the 247Sports Composite Rating of the nth-best commit times 100.

Explanation
In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.

Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.

Readers familiar with the Gaussian distribution formula will note that we use a varying value for σ based on the standard deviation for the total number of commits between schools for the given sport. This STANDARD DEVIATION creates a bell curve with an inflection point near the average number of players recruited per team.

Below is a graphical representation of how our formula works. You can see that the area under the curve gets smaller both as the rating for a commit decreases and as the number of total commits for a school increases. The y-axis in this graph represents the percentage weight of the score that gets applied to an overall team ranking.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm

Clearly we are getting a lot from the Mitchell ranking.

I don't know how sensitive this ranking system will be to adding lower end recruits. But it doesn't really matter. What matters is how they play once they get here. I love statistics and am highly trained in the area.

Thanks for posting the methodology. I'm going to try not to spend the night plugging and chugging numbers into this formula.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm

McKinney makes my head explode
Time to Win

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Tue May 14, 2019 5:39 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm Clearly we are getting a lot from the Mitchell ranking.

I don't know how sensitive this ranking system will be to adding lower end recruits. But it doesn't really matter. What matters is how they play once they get here. I love statistics and am highly trained in the area.

Thanks for posting the methodology. I'm going to try not to spend the night plugging and chugging numbers into this formula.
All true, and it seems adding lower level recruits doesn't hurt that much IF, as is the case at UMass this year, many are coming. However, I think we have no zero or 1 star recruits, and that has to help some. 1 4-star and 3 or 4 1 stars would result in a pretty low overall rating, but I think Santos and Weeks have 3 stars and Buggs and East have 2.
Also as previously discussed, these stars ratings are far from a perfect predictors. I think I've seen UMass, Dayton and St. Louis well ahead of the rest of the A-10 in recruiting this year. Could be a very good recruiting class.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm

I'd rather they grab a kid who might be a little under the radar right now, or a late bloomer if they can't get a stud. Sy, Samba, Carl, Keon, Tre will get a lot of minutes, so its a good opportunity to develop some of these young guys, or even redshirt one or two. With all these new freshman, its almost a wasted year for some
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 14, 2019 5:50 pm

I watched the first Mondo game and couldn't force myself to watch the second game. It was painful. He's an OK player on a mediocre team with mediocre competition. Woodstock would have beaten either team 100-4.

He reminds me of Unique, but a couple of inches shorter and doesn't rebound like Unique. He shot very poorly in this game. In fact, his only scoring came from slashes to the basket and free throws. His free throw shooting was about 50% and he missed all of his outside shots, although he only took 2 or 3. In the entire game he made only 2 passes that were better than ordinary.

So I guess you know where I'm going with this. Unless he showed a lot better in game 2, I don't think his game translates to A10 level. He'll get stuffed 90% of the time he drives and he has no outside game.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 pm

bobolink wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:39 pm
DoctorJ wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm Clearly we are getting a lot from the Mitchell ranking.

All true, and it seems adding lower level recruits doesn't hurt that much IF, as is the case at UMass this year, many are coming. However, I think we have no zero or 1 star recruits, and that has to help some. 1 4-star and 3 or 4 1 stars would result in a pretty low overall rating, but I think Santos and Weeks have 3 stars and Buggs and East have 2.
Also as previously discussed, these stars ratings are far from a perfect predictors. I think I've seen UMass, Dayton and St. Louis well ahead of the rest of the A-10 in recruiting this year. Could be a very good recruiting class.
Yes, I agree.

Do the ratings continue to be updated? Or are these basically final ratings w HS season over?
Refuse To Lose!!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Also, are we still in the hunt for the kid from Canada? He seemed like a better option than Mondo.

If Mondo is the best we can do, maybe transfer is a better idea.
Refuse To Lose!!!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Welp the CJ Jackson kid just announced his commitment to UMass. I don’t think he even visited yet.

The “not another wing” crowd is probably gonna be upset.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm

I think he is more of a bigger guard/wing.. in the little stuff I watched online reminds me a bit of a CJ Anderson type
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:26 pm Welp the CJ Jackson kid just announced his commitment to UMass. I don’t think he even visited yet.

The “not another wing” crowd is probably gonna be upset.
Maybe not since he appears to be able to run point in his tape. To me he almost looks like a less explosive Deeky with a slightly better looking jumper.