2019 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
UMass1927
Sophomore
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by UMass1927 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:49 pm
I found a few more full games of Sean East. In the first one he's playing against Oak Hill Academy and the #1 PG in the 2019 class, Cole Anthony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qLJ9HmAyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TI0r5k2JMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMYpR3UG10
There is enough here to at least be hopeful. That's all I can ask for right now.
Make UMass Basketball Great Again

UMassHoops
Senior
Posts: 1350
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:20 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by UMassHoops » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 pm

I'd still love us to get MAW to pair with East. May the best man win from a playing time perspective, or maybe both will end up on the floor together at times as they develop. Going into next year with 1 scholarship plus Djery sounds fine. I wouldn't reach for anyone that isn't a great fit with high upside just to fill that last scholarship, better to stay patient. 2 PGs plus Buggs/Clergeot gives us plenty of ball handling.

Battle Ax
Sophomore
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 am

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Battle Ax » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:25 pm

I believe MAW goes to the same school KTM is from

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8334
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 pm

Let's hope he doesn't sign with SJU before we can get him here.
Adam Zagoria
‏Verified account
@AdamZagoria
5h5 hours ago
More
.@StJohnsBBall on Tuesday will host 6-foot-10 PF Chris Maidoh from Scotland Performance, per coach Chris Chaney.

HE's also trying to set up visits w/ UMass, Georgia, Towson and Stetson right now.

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2360
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm

I saw VCU offered that Hason Ward kid from Springfield. I wonder where we are on him. I thought at one point we had some interest and it sounds like he could be a good developmental kid with some athleticism to work with.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Battle Ax
Sophomore
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 am

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Battle Ax » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm
I saw VCU offered that Hason Ward kid from Springfield. I wonder where we are on him. I thought at one point we had some interest and it sounds like he could be a good developmental kid with some athleticism to work with.
Figured we were the front runners on him considering he’s been to a few games on campus.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:22 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm
I saw VCU offered that Hason Ward kid from Springfield. I wonder where we are on him. I thought at one point we had some interest and it sounds like he could be a good developmental kid with some athleticism to work with.
We offered over a year a go. I would say we have no interest at this point and not sure he is a great fit.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6708
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by LS71 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:50 am

I have no way of knowing if it’s a factor, but he went to Central, same school as Chris Baldwin.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8334
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:27 am

Jackson96 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm
I saw VCU offered that Hason Ward kid from Springfield. I wonder where we are on him. I thought at one point we had some interest and it sounds like he could be a good developmental kid with some athleticism to work with.
I went to a Central game this year hoping to see him play but he sat out with an ankle sprain. It may mean nothing, but I wasn't thrilled with his lack of interest in the game. He was on the bench, but playing with his smart phone most of the game. He rarely showed any emotion during the game and sometimes didn't even get into the huddle during timeouts. As I said, this may mean nothing. It's hard to read the psyche of young kids.

User avatar
natwam2547
Senior
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:29 am

69MG wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 pm
Let's hope he doesn't sign with SJU before we can get him here.
Adam Zagoria
‏Verified account
@AdamZagoria
5h5 hours ago
More
.@StJohnsBBall on Tuesday will host 6-foot-10 PF Chris Maidoh from Scotland Performance, per coach Chris Chaney.

HE's also trying to set up visits w/ UMass, Georgia, Towson and Stetson right now.
That is quite the mixed bag of schools. Intriguing though.

As for the PG situation. We need a guy who can get 5-6 APG, control the pace on offense and hit a couple 3's. That's basically it. We don't need a guy who has to score 12+ PPG or anything like that. Feed Mitchell and Pierre and put them in good positions to score. Diallo and Keon can be the slashers and Sy can clean up the boards and get some put backs.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8334
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:41 am

UMass1927 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm
NilesGold wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:49 pm
I found a few more full games of Sean East. In the first one he's playing against Oak Hill Academy and the #1 PG in the 2019 class, Cole Anthony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qLJ9HmAyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TI0r5k2JMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMYpR3UG10
There is enough here to at least be hopeful. That's all I can ask for right now.
This is from the Indiana University recruiting site and is probably the most realistic opinion of East that I have seen since it comes from someone who saw him play 40 times.
Posted March 11
I have watched him play 40+ games. His shooting skills especially from deep are exceptional. Court vision is also very good. Always seems to make the right plays. I question his defense and lateral foot quickness. I put him in a 'Diamond' class. He is and has been a proven winner. He was coached by a Indiana HOF coach. I just wonder what his ceiling for development is. If he was a true D1 major recruit, he would've gotten an offer. Lord knows that he was seen countless times by coaches with all the Romeo attention. He never got to play a true point all of the time before this season because Romeo handled the ball so much. Most down here think that he is a sleeper and given the opportunity, would be a smart pick up and would benefit whomever gets him. Another question I have though... how much he benefited from Romeo being double/triple teamed.

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8334
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:57 am
I saw some concerns on twitter about his highlight tape not showing any passing. According to his coach college coaches had question about his ability to score so that was the focus of the tape. He passing ability and vision was well respected
You want passing, I've got passing for you. :) Seriously, he does appear to have good instincts and court awareness. Caveat, this is a highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaeWWudgFNk

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4316
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by MJatUM » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 am

natwam2547 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:29 am


That is quite the mixed bag of schools. Intriguing though.

As for the PG situation. We need a guy who can get 5-6 APG, control the pace on offense and hit a couple 3's. That's basically it. We don't need a guy who has to score 12+ PPG or anything like that. Feed Mitchell and Pierre and put them in good positions to score. Diallo and Keon can be the slashers and Sy can clean up the boards and get some put backs.
It seems like that is exactly the kind of PG East is though right? A steady ball handler with plus court vision that can make you pay if you leave him open.

Battle Ax
Sophomore
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 am

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Battle Ax » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:55 am

Seems like a good get. A guy with good handle, sees the floor well and can make you pay if left open. The offense will flow through Mitchell and Pierre so having a STEADY PG is really all you need.

User avatar
natwam2547
Senior
Posts: 1563
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by natwam2547 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:05 am

MJatUM wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 am
natwam2547 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:29 am


That is quite the mixed bag of schools. Intriguing though.

As for the PG situation. We need a guy who can get 5-6 APG, control the pace on offense and hit a couple 3's. That's basically it. We don't need a guy who has to score 12+ PPG or anything like that. Feed Mitchell and Pierre and put them in good positions to score. Diallo and Keon can be the slashers and Sy can clean up the boards and get some put backs.
It seems like that is exactly the kind of PG East is though right? A steady ball handler with plus court vision that can make you pay if you leave him open.
Yup which is why I'm all for this signing. Especially if he is a late bloomer like some have mentioned.

Post Reply