2019 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6507
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by LS71 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm

^ Isn't Buggs III a pg?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I think he’s more of a shooting guard/combo.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by NilesGold » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 pm

^ Buggs is usually listed as a CG, but my understanding is that he's really more of a secondary ball-handler and not someone you want as your PG. I'd be nervous going into next season if Tre Wood is our #1 PG, and even more nervous if Wood, Keon, and Buggs are our #1-3 options. The only two names I've heard lately are Noah Hutchins and Deuce Dean... both seem solid, but not necessarily sure-thing day 1 starters. Another name to keep in mind might be Mika Adams-Woods... UMass was in the running for him before he picked Nebraska, but Tim Miles is widely expected to be fired, so there's a good chance Adams-Woods decommits. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a name I haven't considered up to this point, either a grad transfer or JUCO.

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 10764
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Arithmetic:
Five good candidates for leaving (Holloway, Pipkins, Cobb, McLean, KTM)
Five good candidates for arriving (Thomas, Buggs, Santos, Weeks, Mitchell).
Who else might leave? I guess I should consult the poll. Maybe it's Wood, as speculated earlier.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Where has the weeks speculation come from that all of a sudden he is a sure thing to come to UMass? I've seen some say he would be great and others say he isn't a-10 level.

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:08 pm

I think he's been rumored to perhaps join his teammates (Santos & Mitchell -- a rumor himself) here -- not sure I would consider it a sure thing though. I think he flew under the radar for awhile in RI then went to Woodstock this year where he battled injuries for awhile before really coming on down the stretch. Sounds like he's improved his jump shot quite a bit (have seen several Tweets about games where he's hit 5+ threes).

We'll see...
"I wrote a column and it went national"

skizz
Sophomore
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:43 am
Location: Wilbraham

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by skizz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 pm
^ Buggs is usually listed as a CG, but my understanding is that he's really more of a secondary ball-handler and not someone you want as your PG. I'd be nervous going into next season if Tre Wood is our #1 PG, and even more nervous if Wood, Keon, and Buggs are our #1-3 options. The only two names I've heard lately are Noah Hutchins and Deuce Dean... both seem solid, but not necessarily sure-thing day 1 starters. Another name to keep in mind might be Mika Adams-Woods... UMass was in the running for him before he picked Nebraska, but Tim Miles is widely expected to be fired, so there's a good chance Adams-Woods decommits. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a name I haven't considered up to this point, either a grad transfer or JUCO.
i like Wood, his speed is exceptional and while his decision making needs work he does see the court. Missing those 10 games hurt him especially if he was unable to practice.
FITCTAJ

wmmmfan
Junior
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:16 am
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by wmmmfan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:42 pm

I came across this video interview with point guard target Noah Hutchins and thought I would share.
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffa ... h-hutchins#

Also, an article from this weekend.
https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/09/park ... -champion/

Young man seems like a leader.

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Mitchell just tweeted to stay tuned at 9 pm. I don’t think he’s talking about watching the new episode of Mr Belvedere so stay tuned...
"I wrote a column and it went national"

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Well a bit of a cocktease. He’s staying in 2019 class and we are in the final 6 with Syracuse, Indiana, Providence, Virginia tech and someone else
"I wrote a column and it went national"

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7959
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by 78 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm

We made Tre's final six. Given the competition, I will be shocked if he comes here. Georgia Tech is the sixth school. I'd really like to be optimistic and maybe TheOFFSeason knows something, but you'd have to think a chance to play in the Big East, ACC or Big 10 is going to trump playing with his friends at UMass in the A10.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

wmmmfan
Junior
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:16 am
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by wmmmfan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:02 pm

78, I agree that’s tough competition but I’ve heard Mitchell is his own man and if he likes UMass he will come and not be swayed by a brand name. 247sports prediction flipped to 57% UMass - 43% ND.
Here’s hoping he chooses UMass!

TheOFFSeason
Senior
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 pm

78 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm
We made Tre's final six. Given the competition, I will be shocked if he comes here. Georgia Tech is the sixth school. I'd really like to be optimistic and maybe TheOFFSeason knows something, but you'd have to think a chance to play in the Big East, ACC or Big 10 is going to trump playing with his friends at UMass in the A10.
He’s coming and he’s not alone

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Brian Snow seems to be pretty plugged in and he just flipped from an older ND prediction to UMass joining the few other recent UMass predictions, including our guy Mike Traini.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1618
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 pm
78 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm
We made Tre's final six. Given the competition, I will be shocked if he comes here. Georgia Tech is the sixth school. I'd really like to be optimistic and maybe TheOFFSeason knows something, but you'd have to think a chance to play in the Big East, ACC or Big 10 is going to trump playing with his friends at UMass in the A10.
He’s coming and he’s not alone
Brining a player or coach....?

Post Reply