KAEO: Keon Clergeot (Memphis Transfer)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
capezona
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Keon Clergeot (Memphis Transfer)

Post by capezona » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Matt "Crusher" Glass

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:54 am

Damnnnnn Keon went off on Twitter! That's A LOT of Retweets!!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 am

capezona wrote:Love it! Reminds me of Chris Lowe who got an inbound pass while running full speed with 6 seconds left against Rhoddy. Instead of a gorgeous step-back 3, he drove across the lane for a six foot floater over three defenders. Can't wait to see Keon in action in '18.
I have always thought that CLowe was the best point guard UMASS has ever had and I go back to Alex Eldridge.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 pm

KahunaK wrote:
capezona wrote:Love it! Reminds me of Chris Lowe who got an inbound pass while running full speed with 6 seconds left against Rhoddy. Instead of a gorgeous step-back 3, he drove across the lane for a six foot floater over three defenders. Can't wait to see Keon in action in '18.
I have always thought that CLowe was the best point guard UMASS has ever had and I go back to Alex Eldridge.

Hey KK this isn't intended as a shot at you as you are certainly entitled to your own opinion but Edgar played against the best guards in the country and won most battles defensively and did everything the team needed out of a pg offensively...namely get the ball to the right guys in the right spots. Lowe, Chaz etc were all good players for UMass but IMO Edgar was on a whole different level as a basketball player.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:45 pm

He had a whole different level of teammates
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:49 pm

uz2b-len wrote:He had a whole different level of teammates
Yes, no doubt, but you have to be very good to play with very good players and contribute as he did. Also, as has been stated, he played against much better players.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:33 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote:
uz2b-len wrote:He had a whole different level of teammates
Yes, no doubt, but you have to be very good to play with very good players and contribute as he did. Also, as has been stated, he played against much better players.
Great topic for debate. Edgar was great but he got to play with All Americans Roe and POY Camby. Also Bright was a top 5 recruit out of high school. I think that if CLowe was on that team he would have been more recognized than he is. He could take the ball the length of the court in a way that Edgar never could. Chaz was pretty good too- I never realized how good he was until he left. Alex was special as well. I've been lucky to see many good pgs that played for UMASS.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 pm

I have to agree about Padilla but I never saw Al Skinner play at UMass. The thing about Padilla is that he was a really good shooter but was a pass first guy and rarely turned the ball over. Big thing was his defense was absolutely fantastic and no other UMass point guard since 1972 could come close to his D.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Padilla could anticipate an opponents moves so quickly that it seemed like he was reading their minds. Very quick hands. As a senior CLowe had to adjust to the first year Kellogg dribble drive fiasco and it drove him crazy.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 am

Sometimes it is easy to think a guy isn't as good as he is because he plays with good players but Edgar had a lot to do with their success which equaled wins.

Here are 2 situations that we will never be able to prove but I would say that the '96 team never gets to #1 with Lowe or Chaz instead of Edgar no matter how good those other guys were. Also, the NIT team in Lowe's junior year goes to the NCAA's if Edgar is the pg. He just did so many things that affected the outcome of a game at a higher level than those other 2.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 am

capezona wrote:Padilla could anticipate an opponents moves so quickly that it seemed like he was reading their minds. Very quick hands. As a senior CLowe had to adjust to the first year Kellogg dribble drive fiasco and it drove him crazy.
The reason Padilla and Travieso could be so aggressive on defense was if they ever got beat, Camby would block the shot of anyone that got past them. Camby was a once in a lifetime player. No guards wanted to drive the paint when he was there. Without that type of shot blocker, the guards could never have been able to apply the pressure they did.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Here are 2 situations that we will never be able to prove but I would say that the '96 team never gets to #1 with Lowe or Chaz instead of Edgar no matter how good those other guys were. Also, the NIT team in Lowe's junior year goes to the NCAA's if Edgar is the pg. He just did so many things that affected the outcome of a game at a higher level than those other 2.
I think Lowe and Padilla had very similar games, using their quickness and smooth handles in lots of ways. But Edgar had a decent outside shot. Big difference there.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 am

KahunaK wrote:
capezona wrote:Padilla could anticipate an opponents moves so quickly that it seemed like he was reading their minds. Very quick hands. As a senior CLowe had to adjust to the first year Kellogg dribble drive fiasco and it drove him crazy.
The reason Padilla and Travieso could be so aggressive on defense was if they ever got beat, Camby would block the shot of anyone that got past them. Camby was a once in a lifetime player. No guards wanted to drive the paint when he was there. Without that type of shot blocker, the guards could never have been able to apply the pressure they did.

While that is a very true statement, neither of them got beat that often.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:04 am

This is a great topic and fun to think about. I wonder if Keon has an opinion? :)

Kickdrum
Sophomore

Post by Kickdrum » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:50 am

KahunaK wrote:
You cannot forget that Lowe had Lasme, who happens to be our shot block king. No guards wanted to drive the paint on him, either.
"We just fouled a freshman walk-on"