NOLA DUO GONE!!!!!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: NOLA DUO GONE!!!!!

Post by eldonabe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:44 am

This is the first time something like this has EVER happened - EVER - to any school - EVER in this history of college athletics! Poor Umass to have to trail blaze this new path of player exodus when a new coach comes to town.

Good bye and good luck - thanks for trying.

I am not happy to see them go in the sense of the "Family" connection, but at the same time I did not see anything so special from either of them that cannot be replaced. I would not be surprised at all if these two left because they were not allowed to do whatever they wanted anymore. Given the lack of structure that seemed to be the culture here, actual responsibility and process may have been a shock to their system.

These kids were good players who were stroked beyond belief in HS and a loose "players making plays" structure in college does little to nothing to reign that in. If you are a 18-19 year of kid and you are allowed to do whatever you want - you are pretty happy - as soon as someone tries to restrain you - there is a high probability that you will not like that and push back or flee. I have no idea if that is the final case here, but it would not surprise me at all based on what I know about how things were going around here.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am

Tough loss but holding the program hostage another year for two players who were, as it turned out, not totally tied into the program would have the dumbest move possible.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:32 am

Deeky was more flashy but I really thought Brison had a huge upside. Kid had a good motor, a little edge to his game, and lots of athletic ability. Don't find a lot of 6-9 guys like that around. A little more polish and I think he could have made a big impact. Deeky was talented for sure, but I think it's a bit easier to replace guards
So. It is what it is, and I hope they find success wherever they go
Time to Win

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 am

Yeah, I'm with you on this one Floyd. Gonna miss Gresham.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

eldonabe wrote:This is the first time something like this has EVER happened - EVER - to any school - EVER in this history of college athletics! Poor Umass to have to trail blaze this new path of player exodus when a new coach comes to town.

Good bye and good luck - thanks for trying.

I am not happy to see them go in the sense of the "Family" connection, but at the same time I did not see anything so special from either of them that cannot be replaced. I would not be surprised at all if these two left because they were not allowed to do whatever they wanted anymore. Given the lack of structure that seemed to be the culture here, actual responsibility and process may have been a shock to their system.

These kids were good players who were stroked beyond belief in HS and a loose "players making plays" structure in college does little to nothing to reign that in. If you are a 18-19 year of kid and you are allowed to do whatever you want - you are pretty happy - as soon as someone tries to restrain you - there is a high probability that you will not like that and push back or flee. I have no idea if that is the final case here, but it would not surprise me at all based on what I know about how things were going around here.
I agree with your analysis. Given the hype, I expected to see more from them even as freshmen. Are they over rated or is it a case of lack of proper development/discipline? Time will tell. On the other extreme was Chaz, clearly under rated. I recall after his first game, I went home and remarked to my wife "Wow, we have a REAL point guard!". Granted he had a year under his belt, but also sat out a year. How much we miss him. Best point guard I have seen at UMASS, bar none. So give Derek credit for getting him here and good luck to those who are leaving.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:47 am

My gut tells me the NOLA duo were just waiting to see if Chatman was going to be retained and once that was made clear to them he wasn't they decided to announce their intentions to transfer. Good luck to them but we'll be fine !

RageintheCage
Junior

Post by RageintheCage » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am

Bottom Line to me:

1. Sucks to lose these two guys. We clearly would have been better off with them talent wise.

2. With that said, this program needs a complete reset and might as well start now. If MM is ultimately the guy, he has to have full control and buy in. That means building his program his way with everyone bought in. Without that, he has no real chance of success even with these guys.

3. Beyond the top tier programs, recruiting is only part of the battle. Teams like UMASS needs a strong system that gets more from the whole than the sum of the parts. Just watch the 30 on 30. Outside of Camby, I'm pretty sure Cal created a system and environment that was the main driver of us overachieving. That is really the only way this program can attain the consistent success any of us want going forward.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 am

NilesGold wrote:
69MG wrote:At the luncheon today Ryan said that MM was out of town on a recruiting trip talking to a kid who recently decommitted from a major program.
I don't suppose Bamford said if he flew or drove to visit him? The only guys that fit that criteria within driving distance are Thomas Allen (NCST) and Tremont Waters (GTown), both would be huge pickups. If he flew, some possible targets would be McKinley Wright (Dayton), Javon Pickett (Illinois) and Amauri Hardy (OKST).
One more, Naz Carter from NYC area. De-committed from Dayton when Archie left. McCall just started following him on Twitter.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 am

NOLA's gone. Talent wise, it's a major hit.

Kellogg had to go. If the NOLA duo, Lewis, Berger, and Coleman is the price we have to pay, so be it. I'm still glad Bamford made the move. We were going no where under Kellogg.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

TheChamp wrote:Wow. Not a good look for McCall. That was his first recruiting job. Didn't help at his presser he didn't give very compelling reasons for them to say by saying "guys need to do what's best for them." Woof.

Another idiotic comment...
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

ElGuapo Hoy
Junior

Post by ElGuapo Hoy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 am

LOL some of you sound just like Trump supporters justifying your vote to no end and blaming Hillary
Please think before you type.

Mr.Stopherson
Freshman

Post by Mr.Stopherson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am

78 wrote:
TheChamp wrote:Wow. Not a good look for McCall. That was his first recruiting job. Didn't help at his presser he didn't give very compelling reasons for them to say by saying "guys need to do what's best for them." Woof.

I don't feel like it was his fault at all. I'm sure he tried to convince them to stay. Didn't really have control of that situation. What he does in response to this tho, will be!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

78 wrote:

There has been a lot of that lately..........

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 am

ElGuapo Hoy wrote:LOL some of you sound just like Trump supporters justifying your vote to no end and blaming Hillary
This makes no sense.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am

^ the analogy sort of breaks down for me, too. Not sure what this means.