NOLA DUO GONE!!!!!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: NOLA DUO GONE!!!!!

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Brison would fit in nicely with this group. He's got size, he's strong, athletic, and primarily a rebounder/shot blocker. Pretty high energy kid who looked like a worker. Just the kind of kid we need to compliment RH , and provide depth with KTM
Time to Win

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue May 15, 2018 7:49 pm

^^ I agree.. of the 2 I wish he stayed.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Wish people wanted to stay. They didn't for whatever reasons. I am not going to wish ill towards anyone trying to make their way through this life. I wish they had connected with my alma mater the way I did and stuck it, but they didn't.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Brison Gresham would have really helped us last season, this coming season too. Most likely he would have started this coming season. Definitely would have given us some defense & rebounding and some scoring too. But, he followed Jarreau to junior college and the University of Houston. Both were good prospects. I think McCall and his assistants could have developed them, but they didn't want what McCall had to offer.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

baseline47 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm Brison Gresham would have really helped us last season, this coming season too. Most likely he would have started this coming season. Definitely would have given us some defense & rebounding and some scoring too. But, he followed Jarreau to junior college and the University of Houston. Both were good prospects. I think McCall and his assistants could have developed them, but they didn't want what McCall had to offer.
If not for a buzzer beater three from eventual National Runner-Up Michigan, Houston would have made the Sweet Sixteen this year. There's certainly worse places to play.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I think McCall's coaching style would have been hard on Jarreau to adapt to. Kellogg seemed to let players freelance more which was more inline with Jarreau's style. McCall is more structured.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm
baseline47 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm Brison Gresham would have really helped us last season, this coming season too. Most likely he would have started this coming season. Definitely would have given us some defense & rebounding and some scoring too. But, he followed Jarreau to junior college and the University of Houston. Both were good prospects. I think McCall and his assistants could have developed them, but they didn't want what McCall had to offer.
If not for a buzzer beater three from eventual National Runner-Up Michigan, Houston would have made the Sweet Sixteen this year. There's certainly worse places to play.
Yes, there are worse places to play than U. of Houston except for the hurricane season. However, I don't believe the NOLA DUO played last season (in JUCO). Sitting out a year apart from your chosen destination university can't be helpful. I'll bet dollars to donuts neither of the fabulous NOLA DUO will be able to crack Houston's starting rotation. Then what? Transfer again? They'll be pushing 30 before they graduate. Maybe, just maybe, the DUO have overestimated their basketball abilities.

If they stayed at UMass: Jarreau couldn't beat out either Pipkins or Pierre; his shot is suspect and he turns the ball over too often. Point guard? Maybe. We have question marks here. Gresham would probably have started simply because we're short on Bigs. And, if he paid attention to McCall and the coaching staff, he would have improved.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 pm

baseline47 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm They'll be pushing 30 before they graduate.
Did someone say pushing 30 before graduating?

A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 pm

If folks leave, so what? 25% of all first years transfer, in general. Bad fit, bad climate, whatever.

All I offer is this for them: please obtain a meaningful degree to you, and a decent GPA to back it up. Lots of jobs will train employees, and they don't necc. care about the subject matter.

Athletes often get caught up in taking more courses in the summer, to take the minimum in their 'season', rather than taking summer internships that will make them more employable in the future job market, via enhanced resumes. Paid or unpaid.

Econ
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am

Speaking of UMass connections.. if Houston loses its coach this late in the cycle it could make hiring a bit more difficult.. they have also proved they don’t mind hiring a guy with an iffy past.. wouldn’t be shocked if Pitino is in their short list for replacements
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am

baseline47 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm If they stayed at UMass: Jarreau couldn't beat out either Pipkins or Pierre; his shot is suspect and he turns the ball over too often. Point guard? Maybe. We have question marks here. Gresham would probably have started simply because we're short on Bigs. And, if he paid attention to McCall and the coaching staff, he would have improved.
Man you are really pigeon holing Jarreau here huh. You're completely removing any effect the current staff could (and likely would) have had on him with a whole off season of training. He had good handles (and size) and if they could have reigned him in a bit he could have been very good for UMass as a point guard. ESPECIALLY if McCall wanted to switch everything.

The fact they had to go JUCO makes me wonder about academics, however, so it may just be a moot point.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu May 17, 2018 10:54 am

Ability wasn't MM issue with Deeky... it was attitude

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 am

MJatUM wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am
baseline47 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:48 pm If they stayed at UMass: Jarreau couldn't beat out either Pipkins or Pierre; his shot is suspect and he turns the ball over too often. Point guard? Maybe. We have question marks here. Gresham would probably have started simply because we're short on Bigs. And, if he paid attention to McCall and the coaching staff, he would have improved.
Man you are really pigeon holing Jarreau here huh. You're completely removing any effect the current staff could (and likely would) have had on him with a whole off season of training. He had good handles (and size) and if they could have reigned him in a bit he could have been very good for UMass as a point guard. ESPECIALLY if McCall wanted to switch everything.

The fact they had to go JUCO makes me wonder about academics, however, so it may just be a moot point.
Not pigeon holing Jarreau. We play 3 guards and Jarreau can't shoot it as well as either Pipkens or Pierre. If he had stayed, he probably would have started at point guard last season. Could McCall have reigned him in? Who knows? My sense is that If Jarreau had stayed last year, he'd probably be transferring this year.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 pm

OK. Agree with you both. Almost certainly talented enough, but it's going to really take a coach to get through to him - or a system that allows him to play on the fly.