Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by LS71 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:05 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 am
Only because I’ve seen this posted before, it is not at all arguable that class was best in school history...Camby, Edgar, Carmelo and Tyrone was a class. Cal had 3 more that were better. This class this year is better.
Don’t want to be a nitpicking poster but when I keep seeing this I cringe.
I couldn’t agree more.

As far as 20/20 hindsight goes...the fact that Cal’s classes
were here long before these guys walked through the door means that those who anointed this class as the best ever need hindsight glasses. :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14770
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am

NilesGold wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 am
^ Looks like Camby was a top 50 recruit, not sure about the others in his class.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html

Donta Bright (different class) was a McDonald's all-american, depending on how you factor these things in, you could argue he makes for a better ranked recruiting class all by himself.

I fully concede that rankings can be arbitrary, and different then vs now. I just don't think someone saying we had a great recruiting class is cringe inducing.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8635
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by 69MG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 am

It was a great recruiting class "on paper". For whatever reason, they didn't jell on the court here.

Flowers is the only one who has put up big numbers in his new location, and his have been against somewhat lesser competition. Gresham has been a mediocre 7th or 8th man, McLean has done OK, but nothing spectacular, Baldwin had a great game against Oregon this year (27 points) but hasn't scored more than 4 in his last 9 games and we all know what Jarreau has done.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6788
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by LS71 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:55 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am
NilesGold wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 am
^ Looks like Camby was a top 50 recruit, not sure about the others in his class.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html

Donta Bright (different class) was a McDonald's all-american, depending on how you factor these things in, you could argue he makes for a better ranked recruiting class all by himself.

I fully concede that rankings can be arbitrary, and different then vs now. I just don't think someone saying we had a great recruiting class is cringe inducing.
Can’t speak for TheOFFSeason but I believe it was referring to that class as “the best in school history” that’s cringe worthy.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14770
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:08 pm

LS71 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:55 am
Can’t speak for TheOFFSeason but I believe it was referring to that class as “the best in school history” that’s cringe worthy.

And in hindsight he's not wrong, but I don't think it's cringe worthy. That's a bit much.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheOFFSeason
Senior
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:26 pm

LS71 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:55 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am
NilesGold wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 am
^ Looks like Camby was a top 50 recruit, not sure about the others in his class.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticu ... story.html

Donta Bright (different class) was a McDonald's all-american, depending on how you factor these things in, you could argue he makes for a better ranked recruiting class all by himself.

I fully concede that rankings can be arbitrary, and different then vs now. I just don't think someone saying we had a great recruiting class is cringe inducing.
Can’t speak for TheOFFSeason but I believe it was referring to that class as “the best in school history” that’s cringe worthy.
LS, you are correct, however I wasn’t talking in hindsight as that would’ve been a waste of time as everyone on here would know that class is the best in school history by results...I was talking about rankings. Camby made one of the Post Season All Star games and was top 30 in final rankings. Edgar was in the 40 to 60 range and Carmelo and Weeks were right around the 100 mark.
Roe just missed the McDonalds game and signing with UMass hurt his case...if he signed with Syracuse he might’ve gotten selected...Williams and the kid from Ct who transferred were 100ish.
There are other classes too

The Jarreau class had 1 guy in the 40-70 range and everyone else was +150

vanmeter
Senior
Posts: 1937
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by vanmeter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Agree with Off Season. DK's class not even close to the best.
(The guy who transferred was Jerome Malloy, I thought, was pretty darn good. A solid shooter.)

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6840
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by Floyd » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm

I can't even believe this conversation. Look at the level of competition that Camby class played against, and how they did. If we could land another Dana Dingle, Donta Bright, or Lou Roe this team with these young guys will make a big mark on the program, and could go down as one of those best classes in time. I'll take this class over that DK class
The E sho, best show in town

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8635
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by 69MG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Floyd wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm
I can't even believe this conversation. Look at the level of competition that Camby class played against, and how they did. If we could land another Dana Dingle, Donta Bright, or Lou Roe this team with these young guys will make a big mark on the program, and could go down as one of those best classes in time. I'll take this class over that DK class
Here's the schedule from 1995-1996. Look at the OOC teams we played, including some games in the middle of the A10 part of the year. Nobody in the NCAA these days comes close to that schedule. It's a testament to just how good that team was.
https://umassathletics.com/sports/2016/ ... -html.aspx

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3494
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Back in FL
Contact:

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by Roadtrip » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:08 pm

And Cal built teams to beat anyone, not just win in the A10. If you can beat anyone, you should be pretty darn good in the A10. Our last NCAA team was not that great in the A10, and a Dance disaster.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 pm

I am not and was not saying that DK’s last class was definitely the best class. On paper using recruiting systems, that have changed a ton, an argument can be made about the national ranking of that class. Taking prop 48 guys, Weeks, Bright, etc. probably lowered the rankings, even though they were fantastic ballers. My main point was that implying DK did nothing deserving of his pay and scholarship was over the top. My secondary point was that he (and his wife mores) obviously felt they had done enough to be be fired so quickly after signing that class and other contributions to the program. It can easily be justified and argued that DK should have been fired sooner as well.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Floyd wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm
I can't even believe this conversation. Look at the level of competition that Camby class played against, and how they did. If we could land another Dana Dingle, Donta Bright, or Lou Roe this team with these young guys will make a big mark on the program, and could go down as one of those best classes in time. I'll take this class over that DK class
Samba Diallo Reminds me of a poor man’s Dingle. He doesn’t have the skills level, so maybe he’s more of a Rigo......

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6840
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:57 am

^ & ^^ I agree pretty much with both posts. Samba does remind me a bit of Dingle, both in his quiet demeanor and toughness. Dana was probably one of the most consistent players ever here, you knew night in and night out what you were getting from him. If Samba can produce like that, it would be huge. Tough shoes to fill, but I like Samba

On the DK thing, I can understand being a little disappointed, but mad at the school for making the change seems over the top. Its a results based occupation and no one owes you nothing. Paid well for past performances ends when the season does, unless you are a top level coach with a long successful history. Most people liked DK, but we were stuck in mediocrity and needed a change. Same as anyone else
The E sho, best show in town

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14770
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:29 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 pm
I am not and was not saying that DK’s last class was definitely the best class. On paper using recruiting systems, that have changed a ton, an argument can be made about the national ranking of that class. Taking prop 48 guys, Weeks, Bright, etc. probably lowered the rankings, even though they were fantastic ballers.

Exactly.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Badger13
Freshman
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Re: Derek Kellogg - LIU Brooklyn

Post by Badger13 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm

69MG wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Floyd wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm
I can't even believe this conversation. Look at the level of competition that Camby class played against, and how they did. If we could land another Dana Dingle, Donta Bright, or Lou Roe this team with these young guys will make a big mark on the program, and could go down as one of those best classes in time. I'll take this class over that DK class
Here's the schedule from 1995-1996. Look at the OOC teams we played, including some games in the middle of the A10 part of the year. Nobody in the NCAA these days comes close to that schedule. It's a testament to just how good that team was.
https://umassathletics.com/sports/2016/ ... -html.aspx
Unreal schedule...Nobody has this day and age that was unreal!! Yet the A10 gave them the most problems- a testament to how good the league was!

Post Reply