2018 Recruiting needs and potential recruits

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Re: 2018 Recruiting needs and potential recruits

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't know, Niles...maybe Cremmo didn't actually care how many minutes he got and just wanted to play for the defending national champion? And also I'm not sure all of these grad transfers are done strictly for basketball reasons -- most probably are, but not all -- and even then, those reasons may not be about themselves but about the team they are going to...meaning maybe there are some kids who go somewhere bigger and play less and that is okay -- they just wanted to play somewhere bigger and have the experience. Hardly any of these transfers are going to be NBA bound so maybe they are just about the experience instead (and if they aren't good enough to get minutes in those experiences than maybe having any type of professional basketball career is a bit of a pipedream.)

And then I think you can find examples of people transferring up where playing-wise it did seem to work out for them. The Mooney kid at Tech is a good example. I think that Mason kid from Yale did pretty well at Baylor too. I think there are examples of everything under the sun.

Every case is different. Some kids made mistakes. Some kids didn't (regardless of how their seasons turned out) -- I don't think it's something you can make a blanket statement on.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm I don't know, Niles...maybe Cremmo didn't actually care how many minutes he got and just wanted to play for the defending national champion? And also I'm not sure all of these grad transfers are done strictly for basketball reasons -- most probably are, but not all -- and even then, those reasons may not be about themselves but about the team they are going to...meaning maybe there are some kids who go somewhere bigger and play less and that is okay -- they just wanted to play somewhere bigger and have the experience. Hardly any of these transfers are going to be NBA bound so maybe they are just about the experience instead (and if they aren't good enough to get minutes in those experiences than maybe having any type of professional basketball career is a bit of a pipedream.)

And then I think you can find examples of people transferring up where playing-wise it did seem to work out for them. The Mooney kid at Tech is a good example. I think that Mason kid from Yale did pretty well at Baylor too. I think there are examples of everything under the sun.

Every case is different. Some kids made mistakes. Some kids didn't (regardless of how their seasons turned out) -- I don't think it's something you can make a blanket statement on.
I thought I addressed that in my post last year:
"Of course, it depends on what the transfer wants to accomplish..."

History is demonstrating that a significant percentage of grad transfers who move up a level end up playing a much smaller role on their new team than on the team they left. If they don't care about that, and they're accomplishing what they want, then more power to them.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 pm

aah missed that.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Also, Makai Mason transferred to Baylor because graduate students are not allowed to compete in athletics in the Ivy League.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:07 pm

In the successful grad transfer dept, if I have this right, there's the Saint Louis PG who dominated the a10 tourney. Can't think of his name right now.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:29 pm

^ Tramaine Isabell?

CAA to A10 isn't a very big step up, and his role and production did decline rather significantly. Depending on what his goals were, he did make the NCAAT.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm

MJatUM wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm Also, Makai Mason transferred to Baylor because graduate students are not allowed to compete in athletics in the Ivy League.
Yeah I wasn’t even looking at reasons just whether or not he did well in a step up in competition. But now I’m wondering...couldn’t he have stayed as undergrad and gotten another major? Wonder how that works.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm
MJatUM wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm Also, Makai Mason transferred to Baylor because graduate students are not allowed to compete in athletics in the Ivy League.
Yeah I wasn’t even looking at reasons just whether or not he did well in a step up in competition. But now I’m wondering...couldn’t he have stayed as undergrad and gotten another major? Wonder how that works.
But why do that when you can start a masters degree for free

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm

A girl, maybe? Maybe you like the place you are going to school? Maybe a double major from an Ivy League school is worth as much as a master's degree from somewhere else? I don't know, I'm sure there are probably a few reasons.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:29 pm ^ Tramaine Isabell?

CAA to A10 isn't a very big step up, and his role and production did decline rather significantly. Depending on what his goals were, he did make the NCAAT.
OMG, we've sunk so low that we're not a big step up from the CAA. S**t. Anyway, thanks for the name. I think he was MVP of the a10 tourney.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:22 pm

^ It's all relative... the step up from America East to the Big East (this whole conversation started with Joe Cremo) is much bigger than from the CAA to the A10.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 pm

True

UMassFan99
Senior

Post by UMassFan99 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Not sure about our most recent offer..Mondo. Literally nothing or just about nothing on him. Wonder what the connection is?

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:54 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm
Rivals Nation
@RivalsNation
Follow Follow @RivalsNation
More
Congrats to Gould Academy’s Daniel Buie who picked up an offer today from UMass head coach Matt McCall today while on an unofficial visit.
Methinks there is a plan afoot. Buie is a teammate of Wildens Leveque. I'll take both of them, Leveque for 2018 and Buie for 2019.
Holy shit, look at this now.

Wildens ended up being a Minuteman anyway, coming along with Frank after McCall was jettisoned.

But the much bigger whiff is Buie. Buie cashed in on the COVID-bonus year, and has racked up over 2100 points in the process. Their Senior Night broadcast worked in a mention of how UMass pulled his offer.
https://twitter.com/CurryHicksSage/stat ... 5643488681

Someone in UMassTwitter said that the timing also coincided with Tony Bergeron sending his pack of Woodstock dudes to UM, and working himself the assistant job in the process, and Buie might have gotten squeezed out in the process. Well, a lot of good that did us in the long term.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:20 am

MikeUMA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:54 pm
69MG wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm
Rivals Nation
@RivalsNation
Follow Follow @RivalsNation
More
Congrats to Gould Academy’s Daniel Buie who picked up an offer today from UMass head coach Matt McCall today while on an unofficial visit.
Methinks there is a plan afoot. Buie is a teammate of Wildens Leveque. I'll take both of them, Leveque for 2018 and Buie for 2019.
Holy shit, look at this now.

Wildens ended up being a Minuteman anyway, coming along with Frank after McCall was jettisoned.

But the much bigger whiff is Buie. Buie cashed in on the COVID-bonus year, and has racked up over 2100 points in the process. Their Senior Night broadcast worked in a mention of how UMass pulled his offer.
https://twitter.com/CurryHicksSage/stat ... 5643488681

Someone in UMassTwitter said that the timing also coincided with Tony Bergeron sending his pack of Woodstock dudes to UM, and working himself the assistant job in the process, and Buie might have gotten squeezed out in the process. Well, a lot of good that did us in the long term.
Well, that was indeed brutal to listen to.