New UMass coach Matt McCall

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass coach Matt McCall

Post by NilesGold » Tue May 15, 2018 5:40 am

^ He doesn’t need another stepping stone, that would only give him increased risk, he just needs to prove himself here for 5+ years, for example, Miller and Smart.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 am

I think if we get 4 or more years out of MM, I can live with it.. unless of course we make the FF in 2020..

skizz
Sophomore

Post by skizz » Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am

McCall will be just like Ford on that 1st train out if the right P6 gig comes up. I think he will leave on better terms than Ford did but he will be gone especially if its a school in Florida. If he is still here in another 4-5 years than UMass probably isn't winning enough.
FITCTAJ

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 am

I can't believe we're talking about losing McCall already. :lol:

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:07 pm

^ Shoot right after Kelsey was "hired" people (myself included) were putting an expiration date on his time at Umass. Little did we know....

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm

skizz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:39 am McCall will be just like Ford on that 1st train out if the right P6 gig comes up. I think he will leave on better terms than Ford did but he will be gone especially if its a school in Florida. If he is still here in another 4-5 years than UMass probably isn't winning enough.
I get that that's the reality and that's the cards that UMass has been dealt. I'm just hoping that if McCall is successful he'll stick around until UMass can get into a more steady conference situation.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue May 15, 2018 5:41 pm

I love Coach McCall, but he hasn't won anything yet here. If we end up losing him in a few years, I'm sure we'll all be happy with the nice run we had with him at the helm
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Okay, I'm done preparing myself for the inevitable. I won't be thrown for a loop like I was when TFord bolted.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm happy with MM as the coach right now and that's all I care about. The future is irrelevant.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm

When Marcus Smart turned toward the crowd new the end of tonight’s game and pointed to the name on the front of his jersey, I thought of MM.

I’d like to think that if the team watched the game together, when Smart did that, MM would say, “That’s what I’m talking about!” 8)
Last edited by LS71 on Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Tue May 15, 2018 10:51 pm

^^^I’m all in with Floyd. I am not worrying about losing any head coach until he proves himself capable of winning often and big. I hope MM will do this and if he does then we will deal with the luxury of having a successful coach who atttacts interest from other schools. In the meantime, he and the team will face many, many tests and we will see how they handle things like disappointment, competition, failure, success, animosity, academic demands, personality differences, family and AAU opinions, transfers, injuries, and personal doubts and demons. I’ll keep cheering but as a coach I know how tough the sailing can get. Worrying about losing successful and respected coaches would be a real luxury in the future.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 am

LS71 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm When Marcus Smart turned toward the crowd new the end of tonight’s game and pointed to the name on the front of his jersey, I thought of MM.

I’d like to think that if the team watched the game together, when Smart did that, MM would say, “That’s what I’m talking about!” 8)
Please tell me you aren't really that naive....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 am

uz2b-len wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 am I don't think that's true that a coach has as good a chance here as anywhere other than the perennial top teams. As far as I can tell, there has not been a national champ outside the 05+Big East since UNLV in 1990. And before that, maybe Loyola in 1963. I'm not 100% certain about which teams are in those top conferences, especially going back in years, but I think I've got it right. Maybe UConn in 2014 had just moved into the AAC, but I would still count that as a Big East win in terms of the players on the team. You say, who knows, maybe Cal would have won one here, but I sincerely doubt it. Camby was a fluke. As we all know, Cal didn't find Camby, it was more like the other way around. Camby was probably the top player to ever come out of the A10, before or after 1996. (Not qualifying Dr J since he didn't come out of the a10.) Cal's post-Final Four recruiting class did not match up. I think McCall is looking for the most direct route to that NC game, and that route requires another step-up or two. I'd love to be wrong. I'd love to have a great coach for eight years and I think that could happen. But I don't think McCall's that guy. The one mitigating factor on our side, I would say, is that I've heard him comment a few times about how great it is to be at a "basketball first" school.
I read something written in the mid-90's recently that UMass was ranked #1 before UConn, and Calhoun was complaining that nobody had the tough conference schedule he did to build the Huskies program. He basically said Calipari had to get through Chaney, whereas he had to get through Thompson, Boeheim, Carnesecca, and the likes. Anyway, had Cal stayed on for the long-term, I don't see the trajectory changing. I believe he out-recruits Calhoun in the NE and wins a title first as well.

Didn't Bayno "discover" Camby?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 am

Question:

Is it better to lose your coach because he took a "better" job; or is it better to lose your coach because you had to fire him because he sucks balls....?

I will take a new HC every 3-7 years for the first reason EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Guys like Chaney and Mark Few are the exception not the rule.... Further you would not know you had a guy like that until he was still standing in your gym 10+ years down the road and you were a successful program. Stop lamenting about losing the guy and just hope we lose him for the right reasons when we do....

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 am Guys like Chaney and Mark Few are the exception not the rule....

God forbid people strive for the exception and not the rule sometimes.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades