New UMass coach Matt McCall

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass coach Matt McCall

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 pm Does anyone know if McCall or anyone on the staff is at Springfield College tonight? Lots of talented high school players there right now for a national tournament.
McCall + at least 2 assistants were there earlier, not sure if they stayed the whole day or not.

Cahoonaville
Junior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 pm

What does Matt McCall think of our horrible fan base? 2,400 show up against St. Joe's are you fucking kidding me? No wonder some coaches jump ship when offered greener pastures...our fan base sucks!
FBS Football finally! A dream come true!!!!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 pm

That's more than he was playing in front of in Chatty.
We all know if they keep winning the tag along band wagon riders will eventually show up.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 pm

^
Exactly. We just notched another nice win, not sure why anyone would spend emotional energy right now to roast the fan base. Rome wasn't built in a day, and when it comes down to it, we are still a .500ish team with students still returning from break. The program is turning a corner and it's only a matter of time before the team gets noticed and attendance rises.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Keep this up and we could be looking at Coach of Year in A10
The E sho, best show in town

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm

What's the biggest deficit overcome by a DK team?

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 pm What does Matt McCall think of our horrible fan base? 2,400 show up against St. Joe's are you fucking kidding me? No wonder some coaches jump ship when offered greener pastures...our fan base sucks!
x-post from http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... 93#p467381
Merlin Samuels wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm Great game. I think McCall’s Minutemen can beat anyone in the conference. Pipkins continues to impress me. It’s a shame some of the other talented guys didn’t buy in - but then again, there is a reason for that and why this group of guys has performed so much better than expected. Hoops is just as much of a mental game as it is a physical game.

My hope is McCall is the next Greg Marshall!
As y'all probably know, Gregg Marshall's teams have reached six straight NCAA appearances (including a Final Four) and made postseason for every season except the first year of his tenure. His team's success also led to Wichita State's invitation to the American, averaged a full house nearly every game (10,500), and have driven donations etc. such that a relatively small state school (as far as D1 goes) can afford a $3.3M coach.

My hope is McCall is the next Gregg Marshall as well.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Not Trigger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm What's the biggest deficit overcome by a DK team?
I know they trailed Drexel but a lot in the NIT game back in 2012 and came back an won.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Swampy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 pm That's more than he was playing in front of in Chatty.
We all know if they keep winning the tag along band wagon riders will eventually show up.
Actually, UTC averaged 3846 last season. But, yes, attendance will only go up if they keep winning.

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Interesting that the tv announcers mentioned coach flew to Chicago after being hired to talk to Pip. Wonder what other outreach outside of Amherst took place by the new staff after the transition. Seems coach knew who to target. Any insight into coach's views of Amherst and the school thus far beyond the requisite sound bites?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 pm What does Matt McCall think of our horrible fan base? 2,400 show up against St. Joe's are you fucking kidding me? No wonder some coaches jump ship when offered greener pastures...our fan base sucks!
Blunt but true.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am

The core fans show up for every game every year. The challenge is expanding the fan base both in terms of students and non-students.

Success on the court generally translates to more fans at the Bill. After getting to the Dance in 2014, the team's record declined to underwhelming 14-18 last season. Very few fans predicted that this year's team would be very good, given the roster turnover and a new head coach.

That said, things are changing...for the better. UMass is improving as the season progresses; the games are exciting and UMass is winning its fair share of them; and stars are emerging. In other words, the pieces of the puzzle needed for attendance to increase are starting to come together.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that we'll see significantly more students at games once intersession is over and if they continue to improve, and I think they will, more non-students will re-discover UMass Basketball.

I also expect this 'trend' to carry over to next season and future seasons, under MM.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 am

LS71 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am The core fans show up for every game every year. The challenge is expanding the fan base both in terms of students and non-students.

Success on the court generally translates to more fans at the Bill. After getting to the Dance in 2014, the team's record declined to underwhelming 14-18 last season. Very few fans predicted that this year's team would be very good, given the roster turnover and a new head coach.

That said, things are changing...for the better. UMass is improving as the season progresses; the games are exciting and UMass is winning its fair share of them; and stars are emerging. In other words, the pieces of the puzzle needed for attendance to increase are starting to come together.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that we'll see significantly more students at games once intersession is over and if they continue to improve, and I think they will, more non-students will re-discover UMass Basketball.

I also expect this 'trend' to carry over to next season and future seasons, under MM.
This is the first year I will only attend one or two games. Usually I make it to 5-7. Almost every home game, we have conflicts with youth basketball. (I coach). I live in Western MA. My ticket rep told me she heard a similar refrain from other people who have brought groups to games prior to this season. I didn’t go and look at what made this year have more conflicts. I don’t know if UMass has changed start times or youth basketball has. I hope students start attending. I would love for Bamford to have the problem of “selling out” student tickets and letting more in if the non student seats aren’t selling.

Cahoonaville
Junior

Post by Cahoonaville » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:12 am

My fear....other teams see what McCall is doing with a depleted roster....offer McCall better job....McCall jumps at chance. Support this guy now people if you don't want him jumping ship to a bigger fish in a better conference with way better fans! First 3000 fans at Saint Louis game on Sat get Marcus Camby rookie card....bigger question? Will 3000 even show?
FBS Football finally! A dream come true!!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am

^ I know...that was my first thought too. I thought I heard them say that Camby will be there Saturday, too.

The game's live on Facebook. while it's good that the game is being broadcast,the fact that it's on FB instead of a more traditional outlet, might translate into more people coming to the game.

Too bad school is still out.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving