New UMass coach Matt McCall

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MassModestMouse
Senior

Re: New UMass coach Matt McCall

Post by MassModestMouse » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 am

The few times I met Subbaswamy when I worked at UMass, he came off as very much a legit dude who would deliver on things he said he would do. Not that Cal isn't biased to praise him too but I think Suby means what he says.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:37 am

Talked with a few guys connected into the program who didnt really know what to expect with MM.. they both said after spending time with him and learning about him they have come away impressed. They both think it will take some time but they can see him putting a good team out there that's fun to watch. They also said that most of they guys that left didn't fit in and had to go.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 am

watching that video of him at the Hall of Fame, I came away impressed with the way he interacted with the kids. This is going to turn out well for the hoops program over the next 3-4 years.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:32 am

TheInsider wrote:Talked with a few guys connected into the program who didnt really know what to expect with MM.. they both said after spending time with him and learning about him they have come away impressed. They both think it will take some time but they can see him putting a good team out there that's fun to watch. They also said that most of they guys that left didn't fit in and had to go.
I've been very impressed with MM approach so far. My impression of the previous regime is that they were nice people that ran a feel good operation but lacked discipline. I read the bio's and articles about every player we've signed and you see the constant themes of hard work, leadership, character, gym rats. It's obvious MM is building a team in his own image and players that don't want that type of accountability naturally will migrate away. To each their own, everyone needs to live their life the way they want to. I'm just glad we have a coach that is attracting the type of kids who's idea of a fun spring break is shooting 200 jumpers every day in the gym and then lifting weights vs. sipping Mai Tai's in Miami. That's how to create a culture that builds upon itself with each player motivating the others to greater heights. It's impressions from afar, but that's what I've seen consistently so far and I like it. That's a program to be proud of.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:09 pm

^Not sure anyone sip's anything on spring break :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hire Matt McCall!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:34 pm

/\

...or going to Miami on spring break...
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:45 am

^ Morty and Helen Seinfeld. 8)

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 am

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll put it here. I'll preface this by first saying that we have not seen any results yet and that is the ultimate measuring stick. My comment is that the latest group of head coaching hires, MBB, Hockey and WBB looks like a huge turnaround to me. They are all reasonably young and this is the most optimistic I have felt about all 3 programs in quite a while. As I said above, we'll need to see results, but I'm encouraged by what I have seen so far.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 am

I think Whip will get it done too. Football is a tough thing to turn around immediately, but I like what direction that's headed as well. But good point 69
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:48 am

Floyd wrote:I think Whip will get it done too. Football is a tough thing to turn around immediately, but I like what direction that's headed as well. But good point 69
I didn't include FB because Whip is a special situation, different from the other 3 hires. I do agree that things are looking better, but it's a tougher climb.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Swampy wrote:^ Morty and Helen Seinfeld. 8)
Del Boca Vista

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:12 pm

^ Tip calculator.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:52 pm

69MG wrote:
Floyd wrote:I think Whip will get it done too. Football is a tough thing to turn around immediately, but I like what direction that's headed as well. But good point 69
I didn't include FB because Whip is a special situation, different from the other 3 hires. I do agree that things are looking better, but it's a tougher climb.
One would hope, though, that Whip will be a mentor to the new guys, even if it's just through his presence and his actions.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I was watching the early edition of Sportscenter (7am) and the ended that telecast with Buccigross mentioning the Umass Hockey team having two of their incoming players drafted by the NHL @ #18 and #44 (I think) - the other guy on the telecast (whose name I just cannot remember) follows Umass Hockey - leading to that commentary.

Arguably all of these programs only have one real direction they can go, but they all seem like they are on the precipice of actually moving in that direction and all together at the same time. I think some good times are ahead for the entire athletic department.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 pm

eldonabe wrote:I was thinking the same thing this morning. I was watching the early edition of Sportscenter (7am) and the ended that telecast with Buccigross mentioning the Umass Hockey team having two of their incoming players drafted by the NHL @ #18 and #44 (I think) - the other guy on the telecast (whose name I just cannot remember) follows Umass Hockey - leading to that commentary.

Arguably all of these programs only have one real direction they can go, but they all seem like they are on the precipice of actually moving in that direction and all together at the same time. I think some good times are ahead for the entire athletic department.

FWIW. The other guy (Kevin Connors) on ESPN is a college teammate of AD Bamford’s at Ithaca. Kevin Connors graduated from Ithaca in 97 Bamford in 00.