New UMass coach Matt McCall

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheOFFSeason
Senior

Re: New UMass coach Matt McCall

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Leten55SP wrote:
NilesGold wrote:^ Give me someone who can recruit the Northeast instead of Chatman every single time.
Given the level of prep school play and the number of players that go on to D1 from the Northeast, this SHOULD be an advantage for UMass. I'm not sure Kellogg utilized this pipeline, or built meaningful relationships with the 3 powerful NE AAU Programs: BABC, NE Playaz and Rivals. Hopefully McCall will...
Davis is someone I have met a few times and watched games with and although I don't know him well I can say that he is a genuine guy who is very friendly and makes relationships pretty easily. He would be brought in to get the New York kids(many of whom play in NE prep schools).

Also, I would say that the Expressions have passed the NE Playaz in the AAU hierarchy...Playaz have become a NMH summer league team and although NMH has plenty of good players they all look to go to Ivy or other high academic schools(I understand UMass is a great school too but not their type). Laszewski will probably not go Ivy so it will be interesting where he ends up(always thought he was a lock for Wisconsin as his father played there but apparently they aren't that high on him as they are stocked at his position)...the A10 school that fits best is Davidson (Grady going there next year has a chance to be really good)...thought Brodeur would have been perfect there too. I don't think Platek fits UNC but that's just my opinion. Anyway, Davis gives me reason for optimism.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm

All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

thecaptain
Senior

Post by thecaptain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm

"talked" about as an asst for Patrick Ewing at Georgetown...

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/4/3/1516 ... candidates

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:02 pm

so, are we now in competition for Rasheen Davis?
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 pm

thecaptain wrote:"talked" about as an asst for Patrick Ewing at Georgetown...

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/4/3/1516 ... candidates
This article is a week old and it's pure speculation. I'd put my money on Davis being an assistant at UMass.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Great article by Matty V. It sure looks like MM really has his act together. I hope everyone else stays so that we can see how good these guys can be.
http://www.gazettenet.com/New-UMass-coa ... ng-9214975
McCall’s coaching staff hasn’t been entirely determined yet and UMass administrative rules prevent him from announcing even the coaches he has decided on.
Sources confirmed Sunday that Peter Gash, who was an assistant under McCall at Chattanooga, and former VCU assistant Rasheen Davis are already on board. The third assistant has yet to be determined.
Davis is a home run if this is true. One more assistant to be named. Have no idea but Bopp would be a good fit.
In addition to future Minutemen, McCall said he’s made connections with former players and coaches. In addition to Travis Ford, whom, like him, is close with Billy Donovan, he’s spoken to Julius Erving, John Calipari, Rick Pitino and Marcus Camby.
“Those guys meant a lot to this university and this program and really laid the foundation,” McCall said. “They’ve all been great and supportive.”
Nothing else needs to be said. MM has really impressed me. Keep up the good work and get us some recruits.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Praised his bigs. But didn't mention Baldwin... hmmmm.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 pm

m626t wrote:details of the contract
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... ncart_2box
Hope he can get that $100,000 bonus.
#maction 🚩#flagship

Mizor
Sophomore

Post by Mizor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:11 am

Rudy wrote:Praised his bigs. But didn't mention Baldwin... hmmmm.
Hopefully he thinks of him as more of a 4. But yes it is worrisome.

Mizor
Sophomore

Post by Mizor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 am

"In addition to future Minutemen, McCall said he’s made connections with former players and coaches. In addition to Travis Ford, whom, like him, is close with Billy Donovan, he’s spoken to Julius Erving, John Calipari, Rick Pitino and Marcus Camby.
“Those guys meant a lot to this university and this program and really laid the foundation,” McCall said. “They’ve all been great and supportive.”

I haven't noticed it mentioned in any of the threads but I am curious how Cal has been effected by DC being fired. He has been over the top supporting the program so I hope it doesn't change. Has anyone seen any comments by him?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:45 am

IMO he said the magic words.... If we have to adjust our style to fit what we have in the roster then we will. Paraphrasing....

I love it! I have not heard anything like that in 9 years....

Not sure I like not hearing baldwins name either, and I wonder if the one who may be also out is pip. Those shooting comments were not just pointing at one person and the point guard stuff is his position too?

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 am

Article suggests there will be more players leaving. Also he seems to think we haven't got a true PG. That's what I saw last season, too.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 am

My guess on Bopp would be that he is part of Weir going from NM St to NM...that makes the most sense.

As far as Cal, I think his silence is a way to continue to support the program in the future once DK has moved on. If he was looking to separate he would be commenting now. UMass is a much bigger part of his life than an ex player being let go.

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 am

Cal was quite vocal when the NC State coach was fired. His silence is a good thing.

Mr.Stopherson
Freshman

Post by Mr.Stopherson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 am

uz2b-len wrote:Article suggests there will be more players leaving. Also he seems to think we haven't got a true PG. That's what I saw last season, too.

Is there a certain cut off date that students must let the college know they are transferring?