Pat Kelsey

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Max11
Junior

Re: YOUR NEW MENS HOOP COACH: PAT KELSEY

Post by Max11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 pm

From a friend who played as a walk-on at Wake while Kelsey was an assistant there:

"[UMass fans should be] 11/10 thrilled! He is one of the hardest working coaches in the biz! Maniacal enthusiasm and energy!"

Let's Go Minutemen!

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Ajmal wrote:
TheChamp wrote:But he had a 5'7 Point Guard who was Conference PLAYER OF THE YEAR just like DK did with Chaz!! We were supposed to wait and see how good of a coach he is when that guy left!!!!!!

Great Hire! Stoked. Recruits Australia very well. Hello, pipeline.
I need to see evidence of this supposed Australia pipeline. Xavier Cooks – absolutely, no question, great get for Winthrop. But before we anoint him, who else are we talking about?
Cooks, and he has a 6'10 commit from Geelong. Cooks is a REALLY REALLY good player--- no telling about this other guy. So 2 in 4 years, not quite St. Mary's level, but 2 more than we've ever had. He also has a kid from Latvia on the team, so looks like he's willing to go overseas to get in guys.

http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball ... class/2017

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Really like that he worked with Skip Prosser. From what I've read over the years he was an outstanding person.

Bay Area UMie
Sophomore

Post by Bay Area UMie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

This 7-minute post game presser shows it all-articulate,intelligent, energetic, self-deprecating humor, solid tactician with a clear understanding of the importance of establishing a vision/system/identity for a program-we are unquestionably in good hands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOLK1yd7MOM

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm

I have spent an entire lifetime trying to never be too positive, but damn, I cannot get the smile off my face regarding this new hire. There's a lot of work to do to make the Mullins Center a place where no opponent wants to play and I love the fact that he is clearly confident he can succeed.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Can someone tell me on here or maybe via PM if that's better, how important John Kennedy is to UMass basketball? I've seen his name thrown around here. Is he related to "the" Kennedy family, is he our biggest booster?

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm

chapter 11 wrote:Really like that he worked with Skip Prosser. From what I've read over the years he was an outstanding person.
Skip's son, Mark, will take over at Winthrop.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm

https://twitter.com/chasin_dadream/stat ... 4885249026

This is GOOD.. Holloway tweeting "let's eat then" which is an excellent sign
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 pm

inthescoop wrote:Can someone tell me on here or maybe via PM if that's better, how important John Kennedy is to UMass basketball? I've seen his name thrown around here. Is he related to "the" Kennedy family, is he our biggest booster?
Biggest booster? The Champions Center is named after him, so yeah, I think you could say he's our biggest booster lol.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm

inthescoop wrote:Can someone tell me on here or maybe via PM if that's better, how important John Kennedy is to UMass basketball? I've seen his name thrown around here. Is he related to "the" Kennedy family, is he our biggest booster?
Huge UMass fan and supporter.
UMass basketball Champions Center: University christens new practice facility in honor of long-time supporter John F. Kennedy after $11 million donation
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... cen_1.html
Last edited by Steve81 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm

This is an OUTSTANDING HIRE.

Just don't be upset when he leaves in three years after a tourney run.

Who's going Thursday? Might have to get sick or take a vacation day to be there.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:47 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:Based on a quick search, Marty was the first to bring Kelsey up:
Pat Kelsey at Winthrop. Just wins. Believe he's had 3 20+ win seasons since arriving in 2012-2013 and is 15-4 this year. Experience as an assistant at top programs. Highly regarded.

Well done!
Thanks for the hat tip. I was high on this dude from day 1 and I am surprised we nabbed him, but very very pleasantly surprised.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Bay Area UMie wrote:This 7-minute post game presser shows it all-articulate,intelligent, energetic, self-deprecating humor, solid tactician with a clear understanding of the importance of establishing a vision/system/identity for a program-we are unquestionably in good hands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOLK1yd7MOM

Well that was impressive
Hire Matt McCall!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Marty Peretz wrote:This is an OUTSTANDING HIRE.

Just don't be upset when he leaves in three years after a tourney run.
Was going to post the exact same thing. I am ready for the coaching carousel as long as UMass continues to make strong hires.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Sounds like Kelsey has a little Cal in him with respect to marketing. UMass can really use some of that (along with, obviously, good coaching).