Pat Kelsey

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
jj
The Dude

Re: Pat Kelsey

Post by jj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 am

eldonabe wrote:C'mon relax. Look the fact that he waited until 11:59:45 to make that call sucks. But I would rather know now than in 12 months, that is much worse IMO.

Don't let a bruised ego get in the way of the facts. The guy is a good coach and while he looked like the kind of guy we wanted/needed it was not quite right. Put away the Holloway jokes and stop with the insults, you sound like a bunch of jilted spoiled brats.

Go over to the candidates thread and stay with constructive conversations, we need a new coach.
^^^^^
THIS.

The stuff about his family and invoking the names of guys on our team is bullshit. It's ok to be mad, but don't be a dickhead.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:08 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
NilesGold wrote:
TheOFFSeason wrote:Dooley or Shewsberry weren't offered the job...Mike Rhodes was going to be the new coach until Wade got involved with LSU...once that happened it went to Kelsey...both were Fogler guys. I don't know where Matt got Dooley or Woj got MS, but that's the way it went down.
My sources indicate differently. Rhodes was never mentioned as a candidate and definitely not a finalist.
Your sources are incorrect
That is quite possible. But your information might be flawed as well. The hire of Kelsey, the Woj bomb on Shrewsberry and the reported interest in Dooley all fit with what I was told.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 am

That is quite possible. But your information might be flawed as well. The hire of Kelsey, the Woj bomb on Shrewsberry and the reported interest in Dooley all fit with what I was told.[/quote]

MS and JD were contacted in one way or another but Rhoades was zeroed in on and offered...he waited for Wade to move and the RB went Kelsey quickly, which is what he didn't make it to campus until Wednesday and why after he thought it over he felt it wasn't right.

To echo Eldonabe, I don't feel upset in the least and nothing about this is embarrassing, just move on and go get the right guy. Thanks

I didn't comment on here or twitter after the Kelsey hiring because although there is little doubt that he can build a winning program he had a reputation as a guy who can be a little slick, but so did Cal, so I just wanted to see how it played out. There is a lot that goes into what we want as a HC besides X's&O's and recruiting...the guy that fits the profile as having it all is Caputo. There are only so many stars and he is pretty close to a sure thing...thinking about him only being an assistant is foolish imo

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 am

PK’s flip-fop is a reflection on him, not UMass. As much as yesterday sucked for UMass fans everywhere, the fact is that a no-hire is better than a bad hire. If PK wasn’t 100% committed to the job than it would have been a bad hire.

Given the quality of school, the players on the team, the facilities and the conference, the opportunity that coaching UMass basketball represents is an outstanding one. There are candidates who will recognize this to be true and I’d like to think that fans will rally behind Bamford as he continues the search.

Go Ryan Bamford and Go UMASS!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:42 am

Both of your "sources" are wrong, you both sound ridiculous, and you both should stop.

Where were your "sources" the hour prior to the announcement of PK? No where, so stop pretending you have inside info when you do not.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 am

^^^ +100000. Plus PK may have just paid DKs buyout. Go get a guy that wants to be here.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:45 am

LS71 wrote:PK’s flip-fop is a reflection on him, not UMass. As much as yesterday sucked for UMass fans everywhere, the fact is that a no-hire is better than a bad hire. If PK wasn’t 100% committed to the job than it would have been a bad hire.

Given the quality of school, the players on the team, the facilities and the conference, the opportunity that coaching UMass basketball represents is an outstanding one. There are candidates who will recognize this to be true and I’d like to think that fans will rally behind Bamford as he continues the search.

Go Ryan Bamford and Go UMASS!
^ Couldn't agree with this more. Yesterday SUCKED, but it is far better that it happened now than PK bolting at the end of next season... because now we can say with confidence that's exactly what would have happened.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:46 am

TheChamp wrote:Both of your "sources" are wrong, you both sound ridiculous, and you both should stop.

Where were your "sources" the hour prior to the announcement of PK? No where, so stop pretending you have inside info when you do not.
My sources are not connected with PK, so they had no idea it was coming.

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:47 am

Niles, just stop.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:50 am

^ Fuck off, ignore my posts if you don't like them.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 am

Niles you obviously don't know that TheChamp is Bamfords name on here.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 am

All you guys just need to go and listen to Bamford's press conference yesterday. He DID SAY that there were several good prospects and he chose PK. I am sure that he will contact the search outfit and have them contact these people and see if any are still interested. There are always people that are looking to improve their position even if they are second choice. If so I would expect an announcement by sometime on Monday. Enough of this wild speculation of possibilities.

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 am

NilesGold wrote:^ Fuck off, ignore my posts if you don't like them.

HARDOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:59 am

NilesGold wrote:^ Fuck off, ignore my posts if you don't like them.
Niles, chill out. Now would be a great time to make a donation to Mike if you haven't previously. This bandwidth is not free and pissing contests just make the costs go up.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:00 am

ktabz16 wrote:It's pretty embarrassing how so many posters here care more about maintaining their "insider" persona than in what is actually happening in this mess.

(This is not a subtle call out of TheInsider, who I'm sure is lovely)
:D thank you for that