Pat Kelsey

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Pat Kelsey

Post by LS71 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
LS71 wrote:Maybe Tony and DK can switch jobs
DK doesn't have a job!
Obvibuously... :roll:

You know what I meant.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 am

PK behaved like a complete douche towards UM. Its not on Bamford, its a reflection of PK's poor character and poor judgment - bad qualities in a HC. UM should enforce the buyout and the MOU. Ultimately PK being a douche to UM & Bamford should not impact whether an excellent candidate will accept the position.

To recap: It sucks right now - but we avoided hiring a douche, the buyout will fund the DK buyout and we will wind up w/a much better HC for our kids, our fans and our program. I feel bad for Bamford - he's trying to do his best for the University and he was ambushed & stabbed in the back - but he will learn from this as well and move on.

Anybody blaming Bamford for PK acting like a dick is really off base.

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:12 am

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 am

1) I don't blame Bamford at all; made what almost everyone though was a good hire, dude signed the MOU and then back out at the last minute.
2) i hope Bamford goes after every cent of the $1M because
3) I have two theories on what happened. He either was enticed back by Winthrop with a big pay raise, or some other school made a bigger offer. Maybe its Xavier, but I wonder if Mack would leave Xavier now seeing that he is also an alum.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:29 am

Now that I've had a little while to digest (and ignore the rumors about Xavier), I think it could be as simple as they got off the plane and it was awful, windy, and colder than a witches' tit for the two days that they were here. I mean, really miserable. Rock Hill, SC is a beautiful place visually and the weather is certainly aces. His Wife could have just said, "I don't want to live here" and that would seal it.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 am

^
I don't know man. $800,000 a year buy a lot of fur coats. I would have told her to shut up and color.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 am

jj wrote:Now that I've had a little while to digest (and ignore the rumors about Xavier), I think it could be as simple as they got off the plane and it was awful, windy, and colder than a witches' tit for the two days that they were here. I mean, really miserable. Rock Hill, SC is a beautiful place visually and the weather is certainly aces. His Wife could have just said, "I don't want to live here" and that would seal it.

....And IF that's what happened - then it means that PK is a complete douche w/horrendously poor judgment. If You back out of a multimillion dollar commitment, reneg on your agreement and F over your employer b/c its cold & windy in March then you are = by definition - a complete douche.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:46 am

C'mon relax. Look the fact that he waited until 11:59:45 to make that call sucks. But I would rather know now than in 12 months, that is much worse IMO.

Don't let a bruised ego get in the way of the facts. The guy is a good coach and while he looked like the kind of guy we wanted/needed it was not quite right. Put away the Holloway jokes and stop with the insults, you sound like a bunch of jilted spoiled brats.

Go over to the candidates thread and stay with constructive conversations, we need a new coach.
In Matt McCall I trust!

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:49 am

Matt Vatour drew an analogy between this situation and the Red Sox Billy Bean situation, where he backed out of the GM position and we had to "settle" for Theo Epstein. Trying to remain positive (difficult for me) I choose to wait for our Theo to arrive. Go UMASS!!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:49 am

^^^^^^

The irony over your self-righteous bullshit is hard to take. This is for Eldonabe.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 am

Eldonabe: Yeah because UMass athletics fans have been so spoiled in the past 20 years... :roll: Spoiled is definitely not the right description.

I agree on not crossing that line like someone did, but we have every right to be pissed off about this. I do agree I'd rather it be now than at the end of next season, but cut the crap on telling everyone to get over it. We all will at some point, likely when we hire another great candidate.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 am

eldonabe wrote: Put away the Holloway jokes and stop with the insults, you sound like a bunch of jilted spoiled brats.
"spoiled" ?? WTF are you talking about e-babe? right now you sound like a spineless fool. people are entitled to be mad as hell and pissed off at PK for acting like a dick. feel free to turn the other cheek e-babe - just don't attack others for not lamely rolling over like patsies just b/c you think they should.

bunkerhill87
Senior

Post by bunkerhill87 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 am

eldonabe wrote:C'mon relax. Look the fact that he waited until 11:59:45 to make that call sucks. But I would rather know now than in 12 months, that is much worse IMO.

Don't let a bruised ego get in the way of the facts. The guy is a good coach and while he looked like the kind of guy we wanted/needed it was not quite right. Put away the Holloway jokes and stop with the insults, you sound like a bunch of jilted spoiled brats.

Go over to the candidates thread and stay with constructive conversations, we need a new coach.
plus one!!! he is a royal asshole but the personal insults to family is lame. need to move on and hope we land a solid coach and keep this from imploding any further
Last edited by bunkerhill87 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 am

My favorite post so far from a BB pundit:
Dan Wetzel‏Verified account @DanWetzel 7h7 hours ago
@acallagy It happens. if he wasn't 100 into it, wouldn't have succeeded. It's not like UMass just lost Popovich. There are other coaches

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 am

TBH as long as we don't have any of our young guys transfer IDGAF about Kelsey anymore. I think the two main jobs of Bamford right now (not sure what's more important) are to 1. hire the right candidate and 2. reassure our players that this coach is the best fit for us going forward. I have confidence that Bamford will be able to achieve both