Kudos to Bamford

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Kudos to Bamford

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Who cares if he moves on if he makes great hires here first? Good people make career moves, and that typically is what makes them good. If his hires are that good, we should have success.
Bottom line is if DK had better success, they wouldn't replace him. It's a job, like any other, and a state one at that with lots of public scrutiny. Part of the deal I guess
Time to Win

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm

How amazing he is remains to be seen, our entire athletic program is in shambles at the moment ..I hope you're right. I get that people move on,but this guys seems to be a little too buzzwordy for me...or usedcar salesman like...I don't know. Hope he knocks this out of the park though.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:28 pm

bmc24 wrote:How amazing he is remains to be seen, our entire athletic program is in shambles at the moment ..I hope you're right. I get that people move on,but this guys seems to be a little too buzzwordy for me...or usedcar salesman like...I don't know. Hope he knocks this out of the park though.
You haven't seen used car salesman until you've met Charlie Molnar. As I have posted elsewhere, while the results are not there yet, the selection of Carvel for hockey and Verdi for women's basketball seem to be really solid moves. This move is his most critical to date. He has to hit a home run here.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 am

inthescoop wrote:I'm at Barclays Center right now for the Florida State - Virginia Tech game and everyone thought I just went crazy because of the announcement of the FSU starting line up. NOOPPEERRRR, I just found out DK got fired!! Helllll yeahhhh babbyyyyyy
I was at the Barclays for the UNC vs. Miami and Duke vs. Louisville games. I heard the news of DK getting fired right before heading into MSG for the late slate of Big East games. I was so happy, and a bunch of people stared at me when I let out a loud cheer :D
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:53 am

Ryan came to UMass to run a successful athletics program, not to raise a family. If UMass alumni and fans want winning teams I think Ryan will provide that over his tenure, he has already proven to me he is more competent than the last four individuals to hold this position. Today's decision took balls, he pissed off a lot of BB alumni, alumni, local fans, maybe some influential supporters and as we have all seen by now some of the players. Balls are something that has been lacking at UMass for a long time, we want Big Time college athletics well today we got. It was unpleasant, DK is a great guy/local hero/bleed maroon alumni with a well respected family and the endorsement from God himself John Calipari. But it was the right move at this time, hell there was an article last week saying the AAC was interested in Wichita State and they don't even have a football program!!! Basketball is our chosen sport and this program is where UMass makes a statement about who we are athletically, a solid football program puts us in a position for even bigger things down the road, POSSIBLY. We are a basketball school.

Ryan is limited as to who he can hire by the finances of the athletic department, I have been surprised frankly he has terminated some of these coaches by buying out their over priced/excessive years contracts he inherited. Who he hires for the coach will depend on what amount of revenue he feels he can generate. Now is the time to make a donation to the athletic fund and make a call to the ticket office to place a booking for season tickets to let them know we support the move.

I feel bad for DK the person, and his family, I wish things had gone better and he could have remained here but that isn't the reality. UMass Men's basketball needs to become competitive ASAP if it is to find a conference with the necessary revenue to survive in Major College Athletics.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 am

Well put. I hope in 5 years that Bamford is AD at a Power 5. What that would mean is that our Athletic Department would be in pretty damn good shape. He can only succeed if we succeed.

I really like his decisive action, and feel confident that Football, Men's and Women's Basketball and Hockey will be much improved next year!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:48 am

Don't feel too bad for DK and Family. He may not be a smart basketball coach but he is a smart guy and I would be wiling to bet he doesn't have to work another day in is life if he so chooses.

In this day and age - the higher you are on the food chain ($) the (significantly) lower the odds are that you leave a job on your own terms.

I give Bamford a lot of credit for do this as quickly as he did - I am confident that he will find the right person for the job.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 am

wmmmfan wrote:Now is the time to make a donation to the athletic fund and make a call to the ticket office to place a booking for season tickets to let them know we support the move.
I can book season tickets now?

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 am

bmc24 wrote:If you fire an alum and local legend like Derek. You better make a splash with the new coach...I could tell from listening to that podcast last summer with Bamford that he had an itchy trigger finger. Remember how he mentioned how he kept a list of potential coaches in the top drawer of his desk.....let's be 100% clear. This firing is about Bamford making a name for Bamford. He wants to build his resume by hiring his guy to come in and "turn the program around". This guy will split in a heartbeat to take a bigger job because that is what careerists do.....you think he has a desire to live in Amherst ....he'll no
This is so wrong. If UMass had even a respectable season this year, DK would still be the coach. The recruiting class, his ties to the school are you kidding me? If this team went 7-11 in conference it would have been a tougher decision to fire a coach after a 20 win season. The bottom line is he had one of the more talented rosters in the A-10 and he couldn't get results with it. IF the team looked good but had a few tough luck losses and Bamford still canned DK he would be getting reamed for it - not praised.

Let's be 100% clear. This firing is about Derek Kellogg.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:36 am

^absolutely.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 am

MJatUM wrote:The bottom line is he had one of the more talented rosters in the A-10 and he couldn't get results with it.
Please, please make this be a true statement and the next person in charge can make it a reality because with the TOs and shooting percentages they certainly didn't look like it this year.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:32 pm

bmc24 wrote:If you fire an alum and local legend like Derek. You better make a splash with the new coach...I could tell from listening to that podcast last summer with Bamford that he had an itchy trigger finger. Remember how he mentioned how he kept a list of potential coaches in the top drawer of his desk.....let's be 100% clear. This firing is about Bamford making a name for Bamford. He wants to build his resume by hiring his guy to come in and "turn the program around". This guy will split in a heartbeat to take a bigger job because that is what careerists do.....you think he has a desire to live in Amherst ....he'll no
Derek Kellogg's firing is not about Bamford; it's all about Derek's inability to put together a consistently successful program. If Derek's teams consistently challenged for the A10 title, he'd still be the head coach. It's no fun having to fire someone; however, with finishing in the bottom of the A10, dwindling attendance, etc., Bamford had little choice.

Derek chose a tough profession. All Div. 1 basketball coaches are expected to win. If they are successful, the rewards are great. Obviously, for every winning program, there have to be losers. And, coaches of losing programs are routinely dismissed. Derek had his chance, his dream job. Most of us were thrilled by his hiring. Unfortunately, he couldn't deliver. I wish him well in his next endeavor, whatever that may be.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm

baseline47 wrote: Derek chose a tough profession
I understand what you are saying, but this gets said a lot and it simply not true. It is NOT a tough profession. Getting paid very well to be around sports all day and night is not a difficult job. Head coaches certainly earn their position, but that doesn't make it tough. Working as a social worker or an underpaid public school teacher is a tough profession.

umassfan.com
Junior

Post by umassfan.com » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm

DK made more in 3 years than 80% of the country will make in their lifetime working. Please tell me how hard it was for him. :roll:
Looking forward to winning seasons again!

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:12 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
baseline47 wrote: Derek chose a tough profession
I understand what you are saying, but this gets said a lot and it simply not true. It is NOT a tough profession. Getting paid very well to be around sports all day and night is not a difficult job. Head coaches certainly earn their position, but that doesn't make it tough. Working as a social worker or an underpaid public school teacher is a tough profession.
I don't know. Every time i see the coaches going nuts on the sideline, i have to wonder how enjoyable a profession this is. The pressure on these guys to win is enormous. It can't be healthy. Plus, the recruiting is tough as is the travel (away games etc.). And, every time you get a new job you have to move the family, etc. I agree, the pay is good, at least at the Div. 1 level, but the turnover is mind boggling.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.