Candidates for 2017 UMass HC vacancy

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Berkman
Hall of Fame

Re: Candidates for 2017 UMass HC vacancy

Post by Berkman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 am

He must know what the salary range is so if he is doing a second interview today he certainly must be considering taking the job. Might not give an answer today but I would hope so soon so we can move on. The players could meet with him soon and then decide if they want to stay or move on. That will give him time to try and get some replacement recruits.

Chizzle
Senior

Post by Chizzle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 am

We don't know why Shrewsberry didn't get the job the first time around, only that PK won it outright.... Maybe Shrewsberry didn't like the money that was offered and pulled out. Maybe UMass said they have more to give... we don't know.

I wouldn't be shocked if Shrewsberry gets a bigger deal than what PK "signed" for if he is offered the job. I know the contract was back heavy because of DK's buyout but, the $800,000 annually was on the low end of what Bamford originally mentioned as the range salary for the job.

It will be interesting to see who the next coach will be.... was hoping for Chris Caputo but, seems like he didn't want to be plan B.
#LovesIt

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:53 am

As mentioned prior, I am curious why RB went public with the salary details to begin with. I would think that would be part of negotiating a deal for a new coach. Whey would he disclose that so openly. Adversely, its probably a well known fact what we can afford right now so what's the harm. But still, not sure that was a good move either way.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 am

NilesGold wrote:
TheOFFSeason wrote:Why does it matter that I'm the only one(which isn't true because it got out to Gary Parrish and he had it too), does everybody have the same info that I get?
Doesn't matter how many people have the information, that doesn't make it fact. Now, it's entirely possible what you're saying is right, but passing it off as fact is presumptuous. That's all I'm saying.
Not in the least

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 am

I'm extremely skeptical of all of the so-called insider information that has been posted here. So many of the people and "journalists" who claimed to be in the know didn't even have Kelsey on the radar, and now it seems these same people are climbing all over each other to give blow by blow details of Bamford's list and how things are unfolding in real time. Maybe the insiders will be right this time around, but I'd take what's said on this topic with a grain of salt for now.

As for MS, I'm not so sure about him. Everything I'm reading suggests his connections (media, etc) are pressuring UMass to hire him, and threatening to embarrass if he isn't hired (already painting the narrative that if he doesn't get it, it'll be because he turned it down). If Bamford hires him, it should be because MS the right guy for the job, not because he was pressured to do so.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:19 am

Chizzle wrote:We don't know why Shrewsberry didn't get the job the first time around, only that PK won it outright.... Maybe Shrewsberry didn't like the money that was offered and pulled out. Maybe UMass said they have more to give... we don't know.

I wouldn't be shocked if Shrewsberry gets a bigger deal than what PK "signed" for if he is offered the job. I know the contract was back heavy because of DK's buyout but, the $800,000 annually was on the low end of what Bamford originally mentioned as the range salary for the job.

It will be interesting to see who the next coach will be.... was hoping for Chris Caputo but, seems like he didn't want to be plan B.
We know that was within the salary range that Bamford said would be the pay. However that could be the base pay not including and extra bennies like DK has such as season tickets sold, attendance, where finished in the A 10 and many more that could bring the salary up to 1 MIL +. We will have to wait and see once he or someone else is hired.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:19 am

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread, it's beginning to give me flashbacks of an old psycho girlfriend from many years ago.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 am

My take is that Bamford is a smart guy and if he didn't consider MS a very good candidate as our next coach no amount of pressure would make him bring him in for a second interview. He would just look elsewhere. Bamfords future is highly tied to this hire as our most visible sports program, so I don't think he will settle for anyone based on pressure or otherwise. He's going for who he judges is the best available candidate. If the rumors are true that sounds like MS, but we will see....

palm14
Sophomore

Post by palm14 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 am

I respect everyone on this board because we are the few who truly care about UMass athletics. Also appreciate people sharing their inside sources. I think they're all honestly posting what they're being told. They're just being told different things.

That being said, I do not want Shrewsbury. After what happened with Kelsey, I can't help but feel Shrewsbury is a bit of a panic hire only gaining support because he is with the Celtics. I think the opinions in this thread would be very different if Shrewsbury was on the Nuggets. I just don't think an NBA AC is what we need right now despite possible upsides. Everyone here keeps mentioning "he needs a good staff" which is a bit worrying. Haven't heard that about other candidates.

And keep in mind garnering the attention of the Boston media could backfire spectacularly. They are already not our biggest fans.

Please Ryan, get us a current college coach. Take your time with this. Moving quickly initially was smart and you landed a good hire. But now we can take a little more time. Don't rush to get the deal done with Shrewsbury because he initially reached out and because he coaches for the Celtics.

Go UMass.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:31 am

UMassHoops wrote:My take is that Bamford is a smart guy and if he didn't consider MS a very good candidate as our next coach no amount of pressure would make him bring him in for a second interview. He would just look elsewhere. Bamfords future is highly tied to this hire as our most visible sports program, so I don't think he will settle for anyone based on pressure or otherwise. He's going for who he judges is the best available candidate. If the rumors are true that sounds like MS, but we will see....
Agreed. RB could very easily decline to give MS a 2nd interview. Regardless of what happened the first time around, I think it's very likely that during this 2nd phase of the search, UMass reached out to MS.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:33 am

DEM wrote:I'm extremely skeptical of all of the so-called insider information that has been posted here. So many of the people and "journalists" who claimed to be in the know didn't even have Kelsey on the radar, and now it seems these same people are climbing all over each other to give blow by blow details of Bamford's list and how things are unfolding in real time. Maybe the insiders will be right this time around, but I'd take what's said on this topic with a grain of salt for now.

As for MS, I'm not so sure about him. Everything I'm reading suggests his connections (media, etc) are pressuring UMass to hire him, and threatening to embarrass if he isn't hired (already painting the narrative that if he doesn't get it, it'll be because he turned it down). If Bamford hires him, it should be because MS the right guy for the job, not because he was pressured to do so.
I think that is a fair point. But on the surface, what do we know about Micah? He was a head coach for 2 years at an NAIA school. He then moved on to join Brad Stevens at Butler for 4 seasons, before moving to Matt Painter's staff at Purdue. Brad Stevens then brought him to the Celtics, where he's running the defense and coaching the Summer League team. To me, the fact Stevens tabbed him to join him with the Celtics means (obviously) that he holds Shrewsberry in high regard. I think we can all agree that Stevens is one of the best basketball coaches on the planet, so to grab one of his top assistants feels like a good move. I suspect Bamford's hesitation with Shrewsberry was his lack of head coaching experience, and related to that no established recruiting pipelines. And yes, I think we are all somewhat nervous about the lack of HC experience given what happened with DK. But by all accounts, Micah is much more involved with the in-game stuff than DK was with Cal. The recruiting aspect might be the biggest question mark for me. But I still think it would be a very good hire. Either way, Bamford doesn't make the hire if he isn't completely sold, I don't believe.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 am

DEM wrote:I'm extremely skeptical of all of the so-called insider information that has been posted here. So many of the people and "journalists" who claimed to be in the know didn't even have Kelsey on the radar, and now it seems these same people are climbing all over each other to give blow by blow details of Bamford's list and how things are unfolding in real time. Maybe the insiders will be right this time around, but I'd take what's said on this topic with a grain of salt for now.

If you are talking about me I will tell you that I didn't know at the time it happened that Rhoades was offered the job but I do know how it went down after the fact and that is all I posted and even though many don't know me or choose to believe what I say I can tell you that the people that do know me on here know what I'm saying is fact. I don't care about having everyone believe me but the reason I keep telling what happened is there is so much bad info/guessing on here.

As for Kelsey, a poster on here DM'd me about who I wanted before anything went down and I answered by saying Caputo first and if he doesn't get hired I would take Kelsey over Dooley for someone who can build a program in the A10. Kelsey accepting the job in Atlanta without ever visiting campus was a major mistake on his and RB's part. So, yes, I was aware of Kelsey before he was hired.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:43 am

Does Stephens have a coaching tree? I certainly buy the logic that MS has learned from the best, and he does have some diverse experience. My big question mark about him is personality. I think the HC has got to inspire his players and mold them into a unit. Does MS have the personality to do that? Cal has that ability in spades, something that can't be taught. Which is why his coaching tree sucks.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

chdavis295
Senior

Post by chdavis295 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am

^
In all reality, he's too young to have a coaching tree

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:59 am

How about some real information? Can anyone verify that the interview has taken place or confirm that it is scheduled for later in the day? We are all worried about a thousand things but what we should be worried about is that we don't have a coach yet.