Candidates for 2017 UMass HC vacancy

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Re: Candidates for 2017 UMass HC vacancy

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 am

NilesGold wrote:McCall improved on what Wade had done..
This seems to be a fairly significant point to consider with respect to "he just inherited Wade's team."

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
NilesGold wrote:McCall improved on what Wade had done..
This seems to be a fairly significant point to consider with respect to "he just inherited Wade's team."

And then there was the current season....seems to also be fairly significant. Complaints about him not being an X's and O's guy, the team quitting, bad chemistry, lack of control...etc.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 am

Maybe the current players will like him and want to stay? Hope so. Let's see.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 am

Lost 8 of his last 12 games... someone posted before there was a fight on the team. Maybe the team just fell apart at the end of the year and the coach couldn't do anything to help it. Just trying to find a positive spin.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 am

McCall would be a great hire here. In fact, going off who we've (reportedly) spoken with, McCall would've been my second choice after Kelsey. It's funny to read people's posts on here who clearly don't understand the game of basketball or how coaching works. McCall isn't going to come in and say, ok here is my system if you can't run it, sucks for you. Good coaches make adjustments based on their roster and I believe McCall is a coach who can make adjustments.

And to the guy who's drooling of Jack Wilson or whoever who also just so happens to be the same guy who thinks it's an issue that McCall never played college ball, maybe just do a little research, just use google just for a second for me. ( From a younger fan to an older fan) since that makes a difference now.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:26 am

78 wrote:McCall has two years experience as a head coach. Solid record in those two years though. At this point he might just be the best option. My guess is that if he is the guy we might see more transfers. No sizzle there as far as I can see.
I'm not sure about transfers based on him being named alone. Might meet the guys and everyone feels good.

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 am

Some quotes from FANS of Chattanooga. They saw more games than Bamford I'm willing to bet and any of you.
Wow, if this is true Matt should be ashamed! To blackball a player for doing what he feels is right in honoring his country is inexcusable. This staff just seems to get worse by the day. They have clearly lost this team.You have players that are out of control and are just playing for themselves at this point. Maybe Matt wasn't ready to run his own team yet...

1) This team has no heart. Talent, but no heart. Hate to say it... Doesn't help that we throw weak passes and can't hit a basket

I can see us losing our first game in the 4/5 matchup vs. Wofford. Offense is embarrassing.

Not sure this coach knows the x's and o's yet. Time will tell.

i thought this team would be better than last year's, but they seem to have lost their way

There are clearly issues going on with the team. London has taken huge steps back. Woods is being blacklisted for something non basketball related. Our bench has no scorers. We jack up too many NBA range 3s.

Starts at the top, so staff isn't impressive lately. Next year I'm thinking big step back due to youth and no experience. .500ish in SoCon, hopefully the next year back to the top. Will Wade recruits will be gone. We find out how well McCall recruited the last 2 years

I can tell you about Woods. His playing time went away after he refused to lock arms with team and coaches during national anthem. Some players threatened to kneel for the anthem so coach came up with idea to lock arms and protest police brutality. (Only road games , if you've noticed team is in locker room during anthem at home games) Woods refuses so he's paid the price. I went to the same high school and that guy has always been one to stand for right things when others won't. It happens every road game. Never around a guy that works every single day at basketball like him. Just kills me how this staff has treated him. They lost control of this team a long time ago.

So UNDISCIPLINED, no OFFENSE, too many 3's, questionable RECRUITING, "lost his team," players playing for themselves. MY BOYS! We've just REHIRED DEREK KELLOGG!
Last edited by TheChamp on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:29 am

TheChamp wrote:TERRIBLE choice.

The guy had 5 senior starters and performed worse this year than last AND lost the last 5 games of the season.

I thought Bamford wanted a guy who outdid his resources? This guy inherited a great squad from Will Wade, then proceeded to oversee a team that regressed in the two years he's been head coach. Bamford just wants a young guy who he thinks can he can catch lightning in a bottle with. You saw it in Kelsey and you're seeing it in McCall. Cut from the same cloth.

No season tickets, no donations until proven wrong.

The guy was a student manager. Never played at the college level.

AWFUL!
Hilarious, hilarious uneducated post

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 am

The difference between DK and McCall is that it seems like McCall had a slide at the end of a season... not sure went on in that locker room. DK did those things for many many full seasons.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:33 am

^^^ well that is worrisome.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:33 am

TheChamp wrote:Some quotes from FANS of Chattanooga. They saw more games than Bamford I'm willing to bet and any of you.
Wow, if this is true Matt should be ashamed! To blackball a player for doing what he feels is right in honoring his country is inexcusable. This staff just seems to get worse by the day. They have clearly lost this team.You have players that are out of control and are just playing for themselves at this point. Maybe Matt wasn't ready to run his own team yet...

1) This team has no heart. Talent, but no heart. Hate to say it... Doesn't help that we throw weak passes and can't hit a basket

I can see us losing our first game in the 4/5 matchup vs. Wofford. Offense is embarrassing.

Not sure this coach knows the x's and o's yet. Time will tell.

i thought this team would be better than last year's, but they seem to have lost their way

There are clearly issues going on with the team. London has taken huge steps back. Woods is being blacklisted for something non basketball related. Our bench has no scorers. We jack up too many NBA range 3s.

Starts at the top, so staff isn't impressive lately. Next year I'm thinking big step back due to youth and no experience. .500ish in SoCon, hopefully the next year back to the top. Will Wade recruits will be gone. We find out how well McCall recruited the last 2 years

I can tell you about Woods. His playing time went away after he refused to lock arms with team and coaches during national anthem. Some players threatened to kneel for the anthem so coach came up with idea to lock arms and protest police brutality. (Only road games , if you've noticed team is in locker room during anthem at home games) Woods refuses so he's paid the price. I went to the same high school and that guy has always been one to stand for right things when others won't. It happens every road game. Never around a guy that works every single day at basketball like him. Just kills me how this staff has treated him. They lost control of this team a long time ago.

So UNDISCIPLINED, no OFFENSE, too many 3's, questionable RECRUITING, "lost his team," players playing for themselves. MY BOYS! We've just REHIRED DEREK KELLOGG!

HAHAH we are going off of one fan on the UTC message board. Could you imagine what people would say about Kellogg if a bigger school was hiring him and all they did was read our comments on here. Cmon now, you can't be this stupid, you guys cannot be this stupid, please tell me you aren't this stupid. McCall wins. All he has done is win as an assistant and as a head coach so far.

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am

I know nothing about this guy, other than what I just read here, but I have to admit I hoped that they were going to hire Shrewsberry. I hope RB picks the guy who he thinks has got the better coaching credentials - not who interviewed better. I don't give a fuck about a coach's energy level, I want to see good, well-coached basketball moving forward.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am

Heard about the Matt McCall news last night and I was indifferent at the time about it to be honest, so I decided to sleep on it.

I have now woken up... I'm not a fan, disappointed because I know we could have done better.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am

Can't say I'm jumping up and down for this one but the late season slump and comments from message board posters stuff is a little ridiculous.

Junior

Post by 5150 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 am

@StumponSports

BREAKING: Chattanooga Mocs head bball coach Matt McCall has been hired by UMass according to reports.