Candidates for 2017 UMass HC vacancy

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: Candidates for future UMass HC vacancy

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:24 pm

^ UMass is probably going to be a stepping stone job for a long time, maybe forever, no shame in that. Moving to a new conference, even a P5, won't change that.

Get a good coach, ride the momentum, build the program, reinvest the revenue into the program with facilities, money for coaches, etc.

umassfan.com
Junior

Post by umassfan.com » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:47 pm

I agree it will be a long time, everything you said we should do upon getting momentum is what I was talking about.
Looking forward to winning seasons again!

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Is Mike Babul to close to home after this DK dumpster fire? Looks to be progressing quite well in the assistant/associate HC career path

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm

^

Probably not a good choice. I'd imagine Ryan will be looking for someone with established HC experience. And look at this place exploding right now. Can you imagine what it would be like if the admin brought in another former UMass player came in and he failed???????
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:26 pm

bmc24 wrote:Is Mike Babul to close to home after this DK dumpster fire? Looks to be progressing quite well in the assistant/associate HC career path
A logical next step (provided he is actually doing well there) would be a AC position at a place like UMass.

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Cool, thanks. ^

How bout luring a younger associate head coach from a power school. One that comes to mind is Baker Dunleavy. I love Nova's style of play, plus he has the name recognition. If he is hanging on for Jay's job, he's going to have to wait for another decade. might be worth a kick of the tires.

Also, a guy like TIm O'Shea might be a good fight as he has plenty of HC experience with Ties to the state as well as conference (URI assistant). His name was hot a few years back. I know Bryant has not done much, but his reputation has been pretty good from my grandstand.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:36 pm

^ I'm sure there are good AC's out there, but I think it's a riskier proposition than hiring someone who's already exhibited the ability to lead a program to success as a HC. Bamford's two hires (that I'm aware of), WBB and hockey were both established HC's.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:^

Probably not a good choice. I'd imagine Ryan will be looking for someone with established HC experience. And look at this place exploding right now. Can you imagine what it would be like if the admin brought in another former UMass player came in and he failed???????
Totally agree IV. Has to be a proven guy with HC experience
Time to Win

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:51 pm

The UMass job will be more attractive now than it has ever been. While they may not want to pay the same money that DK got, the fact that a candidate knows there is that much money available, if successful, will be enticing. In addition outside of elite schools, not many others have a facility like the Champion Center to recruit with. The fact that there are no seniors (other than Turcotte) on the team is also a plus. While a new coach may lose a player or two or 3, there will still be a lot of returning strength and 4 or 5 scholarships for the next years class.

In addition, given the state of the program, a new coach is not walking into a situation re like Bruiser where the only place to go is down. Tough to fill big shoes - not the case here.

Of course all of this is speculation assuming there is an opening.

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm

I think they have to go with someone with head coaching experience. This is the wrong moment to go with an assistant, especially if you can convince some of the young players to stay. No need to risk it this time around.

I am still not convinced DK is gone after the season. I still think he comes back for one more year.

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 pm

The down side of what UMass can offer is that candidates know they will have to be successful in their first decade or they will be on the hot seat.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:00 pm

How about Tony Barbee? He hired Harper Willliams at Auburn...maybe he comes too.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:06 pm

lane one wrote:The down side of what UMass can offer is that candidates know they will have to be successful in their first decade or they will be on the hot seat.
LOLOL

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Vanmeter, you're absolutely right. Great opportunity to step in and make something happen and parlay that success into a nice recruiting class the following year with 4-5 open scholarships. Great facilities and people will show up if the wins come and they play a smart, disciplined, exciting game.
Time to Win

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Mike0473 wrote:I am still not convinced DK is gone after the season. I still think he comes back for one more year.
I can't see how Bamford could let that happen. If DK isn't gone it will be bad for DK, bad for Bamford, and horrible for the program and the University. Bamford has three programs palpably on the rise (FB, WBB, and hockey). It's time to take decisive action to improve the men's hoop team.