1/29/17 poll - Fire DK?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Fire Kellogg after the 2016-17 season?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 am

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 59

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Re: 1/29/17 poll - Fire DK?

Post by Berkman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:14 pm

I can see our gals are being worn out only playing 6 players most of the games but the guys have been playing 10 or 11 so what the heck kind of shape have they been in to be worn out?

Mike0473
Junior

Post by Mike0473 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:50 pm

78 wrote:^^^^^^
"evaluate what can be done going forward"? Are you serious? The evaluation is over. The program needs a new coach.
If you were the AD, and firing DK was not an option, what changes would you demand of the program?

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:00 pm

^ I would start looking for a new job. If UMass is serious about basketball the only logical course of action is to fire Kellogg.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Mike0473 wrote:
78 wrote:^^^^^^
"evaluate what can be done going forward"? Are you serious? The evaluation is over. The program needs a new coach.
If you were the AD, and firing DK was not an option, what changes would you demand of the program?
If I don't have the power to fire any coach then I don't want the job and I have my resume on the street. It's critical that Bamford move quickly. He is coming up on his 2-year anniversary and I cannot remember a time in the modern era when the athletic program was in such a shambles. For example, the win-loss record of the three major winter teams coming into Saturday -- 27-61-2 and 8-43-1 in conference. Our once great softball program has regressed to mediocrity since the death of coach Sortino. After today's losses, it now sits at 2-7. and for the most part they are not playing stellar competition in Florida. Add to that the state of the football program, and the sinking fortunes of men's lacrosse, 0-3 after today, and Bamford needs to make a move to put his mark on the program. John McCutcheon left him a HUGE pile of shit, bigger than I think most of us ever realized, and Bamford needs to quickly start shoveling that shit out of the UMass athletic program yard.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Niles and 78 are dead on. If I were AD, and a new hoops coach is off the table, the move to make is to get a new AD. You have to have control over what you are responsible for.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:01 pm

Mentally, emotionally, psychologically...

I have known walk on players at UMass who are banged up and mentally tired by this time of the season. The practicing, travel, classes, pressure of being a student, exams, adjustment to college life, being away from home/family/friends. It all takes a toll on them. Physical exertion in games is only part of what wears them down. The emotional let down that comes with losing streaks can take a toll on kids.

Look at a guy like Ty Flowers. He's not getting a lot of minutes. But does that mean he isn't working his tail off in practice trying to get in the game? Look in their eyes. These kids are exhausted. I don't mean in a cardio vascular sense.

I got to know student athletes in football, hockey and basketball at UMass and at other schools. By far, I found hoops players to get burned out toward the end of the season -- again, I am including walk-on players and women's hoop too. The student athlete puts a lot of heart into what they do for the team, regardless of minutes.

Personal knowledge of player experience and the look on their faces - that is how I can say it. I say it with 100% confidence too.

Losing hurts. Failure to meet personal expectations hurts. Trying to be a student athlete when other kids can party five or six nights a week, etc. It is not an easy experience.

Don't forget, some student athletes don't come here with a lot of academic ambition as much as athletic high hopes. It hurts and when they struggle academically, it adds to frustration. Winning can provide an adrenaline rush that keeps them charged up and fighting. Losing to teams like Duquense the way we did was a sign. The team hadn't been blown out all year and couldn't turn the corner. Player X has a better game playing in more control and not turning the ball over, but player Y can't hit shots that were falling a game before -- result, a loss. Ouch, man this sucks... and I got a D on my paper. Shit now I got to double down on my studying for the final while I'm choking in my calculus class too, and the guys down the hall are smoking weed and doing shots tonight while I have to worry about keeping my eligibility or I go freaking home and my NBA dream is dead. And coach is up my ass for throwing the ball three feet over Donte's head. And my girl went out with a linebacker last night...

It ain't just about only getting four minutes in the game. I didn't appreciate the struggle of the student athlete until I got to know so many of them. I didn't see that at my D3 undergrad. But I saw a lot of guys deal with issues they were not fully prepared for when they got to school. That's why I try not to get to down on the kids or the coaches. It is so easy to be an arm chair coach and start freaking fire a fellow alum website. Real easy to shit on other human beings until you walk in their shoes.

When you find yourself tearing into another human being, while hiding behind the anonymity of an internet website, remember that some day you might end up on the wrong end of an anonymous critic who lives vicariously through your accomplishments and feels no guilt when taking out his vicarious frustration by venting in an anonymous but public forum.

I love this site and my fellow fans. I just wish we tried to understand that they are human. They represent us publically without anonymity, we sometimes tear them down mercilessly without taking time to consider what it must be like for them. Are we being supportive when we do this? To some extent, it goes with the territory. But at a certain point it is "piling on" and is uglier than any sub-300 3point percentage or play calling out of a timeout. At some level we are bein shitty and poorly representing who we are as a university. I just hope we can all keep college athletics in proper perspective. I am guilty of piling on sometimes too. But I am really feeling for the players right now. They don't get a million dollars and they are just young people trying to live their dreams.

Go UMass...
Refuse To Lose!!!

umassfan.com
Junior

Post by umassfan.com » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Doctor J you blatantly ignored the question of why it is only our players. See most teams continue at the same level of play. Under Derek Kellogg we get worse through the year. Other teams don't, it is a fact DK sucks, that is all there is on the "players get banged up" nonsense you spew.

The look in their eyes imo is despair, realizing that they were spoon fed a pile of bullshit during recruiting and lost 25% of their college career with in general, a regression of their skills. That they are part of the worst team in the conference. That's why they look that way, because Derek Kellogg failed them and it cost them a lot.

No one is piling on the players, we are piling on Derek Kellogg because he has screwed the players through bad coaching. If I had the ability to say this to Derek Kellgg's face I would but I cant do to a lack of access. No one is doing anything out of fear or hiding this is a message board. I post the same stuff on my Facebook account. If Derek Kellogg can't handle the stuff people say now, while sitting back on his millions of dollars, then he is a little fragile snowflake.

Give me 8 millions dollars and I will let everyone on this board talk shit to my face or anonymously every morning for 1 hour without the option to respond, everyday for the rest of my life and I will laugh afterwards and go play golf.
Looking forward to winning seasons again!

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 pm

Dr. j you seem like a super nice guy and appreciate your desire to walk in the other guys shoes. I appreciate the kids that commit to us but their lives aren't any harder or easier than any other D1 athletes at rival schools. They have a great opportunity, free education and they give us all a lot back in terms of entertainment and pride when they do well. I root for them all to represent us well.

However I have zero sympathy for DK after raking in millions of dollars and delivering a below average program. Walking in his shoes? I've been fired for having one bad quarter in sales after 5 straight exceptional quarters. In the real world most people have 6 months to a year to produce results or move on and are mostly getting paid a small fraction of DK's largesse to be held to higher standards. At least that's been my experience. And frankly I feel blessed as my experience has been quite fortunate and I'm quite grateful for it.

I was rooting for DK all the way, I liked him as a hire with his backgrounds and roots here. I thought he would succeed. He hasn't and he of all people should be exceptionally thankful for the opportunity he got. He will be just fine and can get another job or just retire (unless he's managed his money like the program). DK sure isn't a victim here and if some fans are fed up and want to gripe that just comes with the territory after 9 years.

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:22 am

^^ Well put

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:47 am

Agree

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 am

The biggest hurdle the AD has is convincing the couple big donors that are big DK supporters it's time to move on. Hopefully they love the University more than the coach and can see its time for a change. I've heard from multiple people that the AD is looking and I would be shocked if he didn't have a short list ready the second the season was over.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 am

^ At this point I have to believe that anyone willing to donate large sums of money to UMass basketball can see that their money is being wasted if Kellogg is retained.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 am

^ Not that this is/has ever been a problem for you...

If the Internet went down...your fandom, such as it is, goes down with it.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

umassfan.com
Junior

Post by umassfan.com » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:06 am

^Clearly you are just angry because DK is being fired.
Looking forward to winning seasons again!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:10 am

^ Clearly you know nothing.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving