Game 14, 2016-17: St. Bonaventure (12/30)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Berkman
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 14, 2016-17: St. Bonaventure (12/30)

Post by Berkman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:18 pm

I don't think that DK should sit him for a game. To me it looked like he was trying to push the player away from him rather than actually throwing a punch but I could be wrong.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Flowers can shoot. Time to add some screens to get Flowers and Clark (possibly Lewis too?) some wide open looks where they can catch/shoot in rhythm.

Our guards couldn't beat Bonaventure's guards off the dribble which hurt our spread the floor dribble drive/dish offense.

Holloway can score inside and rebound (and make foul shots); but smaller, quicker F/C's seem to give him trouble on defense.

Starting two point guards (Pipkins and Deeky) with Clark as a shooting guard is nuts (especially w/ Deeky running the point and Pipkins as the other shooting guard). Someday Pipkins may be a reliable shooter (was in high school?), but he isn't there yet.

Liked Baldwin's effort. He has length, strength and quickness. Want to see more of him.

I was impressed with Bonaventure's quickness. Most important attribute in basketball is quickness. Then size/strength.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Brison

Sometimes it's effective to sit a player for a couple of rotations or even a half and let him stew. Then ask him if he's ready to play. If you get a good answer, then put him in. The hungry ones will respond well to the situation. And it's over and done with.

Edit: I just saw the incident. Technically, I guess it was the right call, but it really wasn't anything.
Nice to see a player not backing down, but this is a nice learning situation about how to react in the future.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:13 pm

NilesGold wrote:Looking back, the game was going just fine for UMass through most of the 1st half. Despite a lot of mistakes, the score was tied at 27 all after a Clark score with 5:53 left in the half. By the end of the 1st half UMass was down by 8 and then by the 13:08 mark in the 2nd half the score was 58-40. In that span of 13 minutes SBU outscored UMass 31-13, the other 27 minutes of the game UMass outscored SBU 64-58. As best I can tell that stretch was marked by a lot of missed shots and turnovers from UMass along with offensive rebounds from SBU.

Here are the details during that stretch:

7 SBU offensive rebounds (vs 4 for UMass)
6 UMass turnovers (vs 1 for SBU)
2-13 FG UMass (vs 10-24 FG SBU)
Also note that with 1:34 left in the 1st half the score was 39-35 in favor of Bona, from then until the 13:08 mark of the 2nd half Bona went on a 19-5 run putting the game effectively out of reach. I re-watched that section and noticed a few things.

1) Not having Hines, but especially Gresham, really hurt as the interior defense and rebounding was lacking (Bona had 6 OREB in that 8 minutes) and DK went to zone and some smaller lineups including one with CJ and the 4 and another with Flowers at the 5.
2) Bona's qualify of shots was pretty similar to UMass, they just got more of them and were able to make more where UMass could not. Berger, Lewis and Pipkins each had a wide open 3 after nice inside-out action and/or ball movement but all missed. Adams nailed difficult deep 3 off the dribble. Several of Bona's made shots and FT attempts were a direct result of UMass not being able to effectively defensive rebound and protect the rim.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Granted, losing Hines and Brishon Gresham hurt us, but the Bonnies had to do with out their starting big man (Ayeni) who scored the first 2 buckets of the game.

As for quality shots, my sense is that Bonaventure got better looks for their shooters (primarily Mobley and Adams) then did UMass. I suppose Clark is our primary shooter and Bonaventure was quick to close out on him.

In the first half I watched Bonaventure run sets (screens) for Adams to get open looks (and he made them!). We spread the floor and looked for pick and rolls with Holloway, but other than that it was primarily Deeky (our point guard) trying to drive (unsuccessfully) to the rim.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:04 pm

baseline47 wrote:Granted, losing Hines and Brishon Gresham hurt us, but the Bonnies had to do with out their starting big man (Ayeni) who scored the first 2 buckets of the game.
You are right, but that goes against the party line, which states that losing Hines and Gresham hurt us. But SBU losing Ayeni, on the other hand, did not really factor in. Smilarly, Georgia State was without their 2nd leading scorer and some of their key guys were sick, but that is just an excuse on their part. And don't forget we would have beaten Ole Miss if Gresham had been eligible. UMass seems to be the only program in the country that must constantly deal with injuries, youth, quick game turnarounds etc. I mean, we SHOULD be 13-1, maybe even 14-0, if it wasn't for all the bad luck.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:13 am

They dug their own hole with the poor start, poor finish to the half and the dreadful stretch in the 2nd half. And when they started to play better and really grind, they couldn't get a call to go their way and couldn't get the Bonnies to miss a FT. The energy in the building sucked too, even when we made the first half run.

DK shouldn't press all game. It doesn't work in long stretches like that. I like the press in small spurts, and we've shown it can be effective, but that's it. And in a game where you're down two of your bigs..... not smart at all.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades