Post Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
EBox
Senior

Re: Post Season

Post by EBox » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 am

Mizor wrote:Interesting article on tournament payouts. ACC is cleaning up. Selection Sunday can really cost the conference money by snubbing teams like Saint Bonaventure.

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-c ... _media_acc
I remember making a post last year or the year before about how the A10 fared, and because the payouts continue for 6 years, the nice A10 run of teams getting into the Dance, the A10 has done pretty well. 11 of the A10's team have made the tournament over the last 6 years (URI, Duquesne, Fordham have not). LaSalle, Dayton and Richmond made the Sweet 16 in that time frame as well, so I forget how much the A10 has been earning, but business has been good as of late.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:53 pm

inthescoop wrote:Possible Starting 5 scenarios for next year.. I know that some of the players listed may not be on the team next season for whatever reason, however right now, this is what we have..

PG - DeJon Jarreau
SG - Donte Clark
SF - Zach Coleman/Seth Berger/Tyrn Flowers
PF - Brison Gresham
C - Rashaan Holloway

PG - LuWane Pipkins
SG - DeJon Jarreau
PF - Brison Gresham/Chris Baldwin
C - Rashaan Holloway

Will we go with a 3 guard system... who will be our #1 SF when the season starts.. Will Donte Clark be back...Will LuWane Pipkins be able to play.... so many possible questions up in the air right now
PG - LuWane Pipkins
SG - DeJon Jarreau
SG - Donte Clark
PF - Brison Gresham
C - Rashaan Holloway
Scenario 2 with Donte Clark on the bench seems very unlikely, assuming he's available. Jarreau, Pipkins and Gresham, not to mention Zach Lewis and others, sound like impact players. But the other scenario for starters that seems quite possible to me is: PG-Anderson, SG-Clark, SF-Berger, PF-Coleman and C-Holloway. All 5 will have started at their positions before, and not just a couple of times.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:50 am

inthescoop wrote:Possible Starting 5 scenarios for next year.. I know that some of the players listed may not be on the team next season for whatever reason, however right now, this is what we have..

PG - DeJon Jarreau
SG - Donte Clark
PF - Brison Gresham
C - Rashaan Holloway

PG - LuWane Pipkins
SG - DeJon Jarreau
PF - Brison Gresham/Chris Baldwin
C - Rashaan Holloway

Will we go with a 3 guard system... who will be our #1 SF when the season starts.. Will Donte Clark be back...Will LuWane Pipkins be able to play.... so many possible questions up in the air right now
PG - LuWane Pipkins
SG - DeJon Jarreau
SG - Donte Clark
PF - Brison Gresham
C - Rashaan Holloway

This should be in the 16-17 thread....

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:19 am

bobolink wrote: Scenario 2 with Donte Clark on the bench seems very unlikely, assuming he's available. Jarreau, Pipkins and Gresham, not to mention Zach Lewis and others, sound like impact players. But the other scenario for starters that seems quite possible to me is: PG-Anderson, SG-Clark, SF-Berger, PF-Coleman and C-Holloway. All 5 will have started at their positions before, and not just a couple of times.
If this is our starting lineup, the 2016 recruiting class (add Pipkins and Lewis) will go down as the biggest bust in UM recruiting history. It will also lead to a new head coach and attendance of under 2,000 per game. It will also be impossible to get through 1 day on this board. :D

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:38 am

69MG wrote:
bobolink wrote: Scenario 2 with Donte Clark on the bench seems very unlikely, assuming he's available. Jarreau, Pipkins and Gresham, not to mention Zach Lewis and others, sound like impact players. But the other scenario for starters that seems quite possible to me is: PG-Anderson, SG-Clark, SF-Berger, PF-Coleman and C-Holloway. All 5 will have started at their positions before, and not just a couple of times.
If this is our starting lineup, the 2016 recruiting class (add Pipkins and Lewis) will go down as the biggest bust in UM recruiting history. It will also lead to a new head coach and attendance of under 2,000 per game. It will also be impossible to get through 1 day on this board. :D
DK wouldn't even make it to Thanksgiving.....

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:48 am

eldonabe wrote:

This should be in the 16-17 thread....
Totally agreed. Can we please try to keep discussions relevant to the actual topics? I've been known to threadjack myself, so I realize this is a bit hypocritical.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Just a note about 3 dates to keep in mind:

April 3 - Slam Dunk Competition featuring Unique McLean. Broadcast on CBS at 3:00.
April 6 - Basketball Banquet at 6:00, Campus Center Auditorium
April 13 - First day of the next 2016 signing period. Need a Tyrn Flowers NLI.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:25 pm

"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

Almontis
Junior

Post by Almontis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Globe article on Mass. colleges' struggles in NCAA tournament:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/ ... %3Atwitter

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:29 am

Another article, another mention (two) of the how we supposedly really didn't make the FF.

Hey, Globe, it hasn't been 68 years, it's been 20 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rg6rZzKTIM
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Just a dumb article on a lot of levels. And I say that as a former sportswriter who is usually reticent about throwing mud at others in the business.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:26 pm

"Boston College, perhaps the best situated to make a postseason run, is currently undergoing an athletic existential crisis. Harvard, an occasional tournament participant, has never advanced particularly far. And in today’s college basketball climate, a program like Holy Cross would likely need some divine intervention to find itself battling for college basketball supremacy."

What the fuck is this garbage? BC is best situated? In what fucking universe? Did they not just run the [loss] table in the ACC? They are not situated to do jack squat. You don't just suddenly become a title contender in the ACC over night - there are a lot of better program in their way (like all of them). That program is in a very deep hole. I would even bet that a DK-led Umass team makes the tourney more than once before even BC sniffs an NCAA appearance. The writer of the piece is a piece....

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Dude's from Missouri, so who knows how long he's been at the Globe or living in Massachusetts.

http://www.poynter.org/author/darnett/

This smacks of either: (A) an idea from an editor who hasn't sniffed a tournament venue in person in 18 years; or (B) a hare-brained pitch by a writer trying to muscle his byline into the Globe for the first time in a month.

Too bad Bob Ryan isn't around full-time anymore to set him straight. 1996 happened. Wins were vacated afterwards, but a Massachusetts team did get there. Don't have time to deal with the rest of the idiocy, like mentioning there are 80 colleges in the Bay State (yes, but how many play Division I? Duh).

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:08 pm

apropos of not much, tonight's NIT final 4 has zero teams from "power conferences" (9 entered). 2 of the final 4 were champions of their leagues (Horizon, Mountain West), BYU was 3rd in the Mountain West (not looking good for them tonight), and GW was 5th in the A10.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 pm

GW are dawgs tonight. Put the house on them, they're winning the NIT. They're playing like the team many thought they would be this year.
Hire Matt McCall!