Page 129 of 130

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:05 am
by eldonabe
UMassHoops wrote:
DoctorJ wrote:Eldon, thanks for taking the time to write all that. I enjoyed reading it.

I gotta add that Unique looks really unhappy out there not playing. I hope we find a way to get him minutes next year and see what he has to offer.
Hope Unique can shoot 35+ from 3.

35% or from 35 feet away? Any farther away he will be shooting from half court :D !

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 am
by UMassHoops
Well if he shows that extended range out to 35 feet might get him some playing time. :)

Sometimes with the extended dribbling and shot clock winding down you need a guy that can step way back to create some space and get a shot up!

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am
by 69MG
Long range shooting was not his strong suit in prep school. He was a slasher and used his leaping ability to get a lot of putbacks. However, he has had a year to work on his shooting so perhaps it has improved. I'm tempted to make a comment on the good shooting coaching he has received this year but I'm sure those comments will come.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am
by DTM80
Of course he can't shoot, when is the last time we recruited a pure shooter?
We go for athletic guards that love to heave up bricks. Teams need some balance and a few zone busters that can come off the bench. I think our show ends today but if not we are done on Friday.
Always can hope for a miracle!!

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am
by MJatUM
DTM80 wrote:Of course he can't shoot, when is the last time we recruited a pure shooter?
This past year. Ty Flowers was/is a pure shooter.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:35 pm
by baseline47
:D :D :D :D

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:56 pm
by UMassHoops
Just took a glance at the season statistics and my apologies to Pipkins. He finished the season as our second best 3 point shooter, i.e. If it's not CJ shooting we should hope it is him.

Here it is:
CJ 37.5%
Pipkins 31.6%
Flowers 30.8%
Clark 30%
Lewis 29.3 %
Deeky 25%

And Pipkins was down below 30% for awhile so he's been shooting a better percentage than that for most of the 2nd Half of the year. Just saying, he's a quick trigger but he's improving and actually our best option not named CJ (percentage wise).

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 pm
by MJatUM
He has been shooting a lot better because he has stopped taking (as many) poor three point shots. He shot pretty well on catch and shoot threes all season - his biggest problem was his three's off the dribble, in transition or with a guy in his face - he probably took 3+ of these a game for the first 20 games and no hyperbole I think he shot under 10% on them.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:10 pm
by UMassHoops
MJatUM wrote:He has been shooting a lot better because he has stopped taking (as many) poor three point shots. He shot pretty well on catch and shoot threes all season - his biggest problem was his three's off the dribble, in transition or with a guy in his face - he probably took 3+ of these a game for the first 20 games and no hyperbole I think he shot under 10% on them.
Agree, and think it's just interesting statistically he shot better than our "pure" shooter Flowers, our "top dog" scorer Dante, our "hero ball" scorer Lewis and our "top recruit" Deeky.

He clearly has improved his decision making as the season wore on.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm
by fenway617
Image

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:18 pm
by Roadtrip
^That and 3 sheets of TP will wipe your butt.
On a side note: it's great to see all you angry cranks on this board. Maybe a few less next year.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 am
by InnervisionsUMASS
Did the banquet end up happening? Did anyone go? I'd like to know if the Academic Award has had Skip Connor's name removed from it. I meant to ask awhile ago but forgot.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 am
by 69MG
The banquet was cancelled. As for Skip, his complete turnaround is disturbing.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am
by InnervisionsUMASS
^

I figured it had been cancelled with the lack of chatter about it.

I emailed Ryan last month about removing Skip's name from that award and I hope that is followed through on. His actions over the last month warrant him being removed from anything official the school does going forward, with that award being the first thing.

Re: 2016-17 Season

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am
by CarriageEstates22
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:^

I figured it had been cancelled with the lack of chatter about it.

I emailed Ryan last month about removing Skip's name from that award and I hope that is followed through on. His actions over the last month warrant him being removed from anything official the school does going forward, with that award being the first thing.

Apologize if I'm late on this...........but who is Skip Connors/what's the deal with the backlash?