2016-17 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
chdavis295
Senior

Re: 2016-17 Season

Post by chdavis295 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:34 am

chlaur1 wrote:Can anyone update me on the status of our big 4 recruiting class for next year (Mclean + Bawldwin + 2 New Orleans studs) -- call me paranoid, but I have a worry in the back of my head that if we really sux it up this year (which is certainly a possibility givin DK's subpar ability as an 'in-game' coach and the disappointing news regarding Pinpkins) that these recruits may get cold-feet and jump ship (literally)...

Did they all sign the 'official' Letter of Intent -- is there another more formal signing period deadline that will essentially lock them in for next year?

Hopefully my concern is unfounded, but I would LOVE for Umass to return to powerhouse standards and I am nervous that we may just be getting teased for lack of a better word...
They all signed their NLI so there isn't anything to worry about.

SoCal
Junior

Post by SoCal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:39 am

All 4 LOIs are IN. If they were to back out now, they would not be allowed to play D1 hoop next year unless UMass excuses them from their commitment.
These kids all want to play immediately and it is one of the reasons they committed to UMass. If this year is as bad as it could be, it only means more opportunity for the incoming class. We should be alright with all of them honoring their commitments.

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:17 am

chlaur1 wrote:Can anyone update me on the status of our big 4 recruiting class for next year (Mclean + Bawldwin + 2 New Orleans studs) -- call me paranoid, but I have a worry in the back of my head that if we really sux it up this year (which is certainly a possibility givin DK's subpar ability as an 'in-game' coach and the disappointing news regarding Pinpkins) that these recruits may get cold-feet and jump ship (literally)...

Did they all sign the 'official' Letter of Intent -- is there another more formal signing period deadline that will essentially lock them in for next year?

Hopefully my concern is unfounded, but I would LOVE for Umass to return to powerhouse standards and I am nervous that we may just be getting teased for lack of a better word...
No need to worry. They all signed their NLIs which means they have to play at least one year here. The only exception is if the school grants them access to leave, which usually only happens if there's a coaching change.
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:51 pm

mlaconte459 wrote:^^ Holloway is a starting center as a freshman currently.. Why the hell would he transfer? He is a talented big man that will improve greatly over the course of the year as he gets into game shape. I truly hope that he does not transfer at all.

But in all honestly I just HATE the talk about well maybe XXX will transfer next year. I know it happens but these kids have decided to play their college basketball at Umass. I expect them and us to hold our ends of the bargain on that 4-5 year relationship. Just really don't like the talk of who will be transferring especially when it is purely guesswork.
That is LOL funny that you hate transfer talk and guesswork. Umm have you noticed that this is a frigging team message board for fans and 90% OF POSTS AREA GUESSWORK!!!!!!!! This is about next season and the past is a good indication of the future and the past showed us one player (at least) leaves the team earlier than expected.

Holloway is starting for now and only because there are no other options. I was merely saying with 6 new highly thought of players potentially coming in next season the returning players may feel a squeeze in minutes. I speculated with him because of his size and can his body/conditioning hold up all season enough so he can play significant minutes. It's all but certain one of the underclassman on this team is not coming back next season. That type of talk you may hate and I don't care that you do.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Did you really laugh out loud? If so, you and I have different senses of humor.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:22 pm

LOL funny??? someone needs some help.. And yes I do have a problem with it. I dont like to hear people implying that for this example Holloway may transfer. There are NO signs that he is going to doing anything of the sort. Is working his ass off to get into playing shape and is going to be a huge asset for us in the future. He is a true big bodied center that we have not had in a long time. Expect him to jump out of the gym or be the fastest guy down the court, but if hes not than maybe he will transfer. Talk about transfers all your want, dont imply a kid that played ONE game with us in it
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:30 pm

mlaconte459 wrote:^^ Holloway is a starting center as a freshman currently.. Why the hell would he transfer? He is a talented big man that will improve greatly over the course of the year as he gets into game shape. I truly hope that he does not transfer at all.
Besides, he just sat out a year. It's obviously extremely unlikely that he' would make a choice that requires him to sit out all year again next year? Plus lose a year of eligibility. How would that make any sense at all? Maybe as a 5th year senior he'll choose to go elsewhere, as any 5th year senior might.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:33 pm

In reality, Anderson is the only underclassman on the team who hasn't sat out a year already. I can't imagine anyone else leaving.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:49 pm

mlaconte459 wrote:LOL funny??? someone needs some help.. And yes I do have a problem with it. I dont like to hear people implying that for this example Holloway may transfer. There are NO signs that he is going to doing anything of the sort. Is working his ass off to get into playing shape and is going to be a huge asset for us in the future. He is a true big bodied center that we have not had in a long time. Expect him to jump out of the gym or be the fastest guy down the court, but if hes not than maybe he will transfer. Talk about transfers all your want, dont imply a kid that played ONE game with us in it
I never said he would transfer I simple said if history is any indication one of the current underclassman players would transfer after this season and if this was the case my money would be on him. I can post and speculate the future and don't need your permission, acceptance, or blessing to do do.

You take yourself way too serious. Your comments and weird posts about players is odd and kind of creepy.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:56 pm

^ I'm kicking myself for getting dragged into this, but if anyone were going to transfer, it would seem to be CJ. Assuming everyone qualifies, and we all know that's a big if, CJ might not get many minutes. We'll have Jarreau, Clark, Pipkins, Lewis and McLean who all might be better than CJ. Or, he could have a breakout year this year and play a lot. Next year is a long way off.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Certainly a possibility as well. It's a safe bet that someone isn't coming back.

I am quite sure last season if anyone even suggested Gordon 'may' transfer there would have been a messy explosion from mlaconte459 eyes, nose, mouth and ears at even the mention of it with a comment similar to this:
mlaconte459 wrote: WHY would Gordon transfer? He is a starter as a junior and is in an area where is is comfortable. Don't talk about him transferring I hate it, don't do it. He is working his ass off in the gym trying to get better. No way he leaves NONE!

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Lol jeez... I make a statement about not like hearing about young guys transferring and I get straight out attacked?? I'm sorry that your not having a good day but no need to get like that. I am sorry if any comments I have made seem "creepy" or offensive.. I'd love to hear what bothers people so that I can try to avoid it in the future

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Apology accepted.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm ending it here because I have never had an issue with anyone before and always have had good experiences on the board.. But you're acting like a jerk and there's no need for it. I hope you can find happiness when you are not bullying on an online message board.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:36 pm

69MG wrote:^ I'm kicking myself for getting dragged into this, but if anyone were going to transfer, it would seem to be CJ. Assuming everyone qualifies, and we all know that's a big if, CJ might not get many minutes. We'll have Jarreau, Clark, Pipkins, Lewis and McLean who all might be better than CJ. Or, he could have a breakout year this year and play a lot. Next year is a long way off.
Also it's possible that with the two new big guys (if both eligible) Berger would switch back to the SF position.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams