KAEO Unique McLean (2016)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Unique McLean (2016)

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 am

Huge Bump for Unique for the game last night. 11 points on 3/5 shooting 2/4 from 3pt, 3/3 from the line, 2 sweet assists, 1 block, and some pretty good D.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am

Don't forget a nice and-1 dunk on the fast break when Holy Cross was starting to chip away at the lead late. Basically put the game away. Good showing for Unique last night.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:42 pm

If Unique can consistently shoot it from outside, he'll get consistent minutes going forward. He rebounds well, defends well, and of course there's always the highlight reel dunk.
The E sho, best show in town

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 pm

To add to Floyd’s post, if Unique continues to improve his outside shooting he will have a bright future in the game of basketball beyond UMass with the many tools he has.

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 pm

To add to Floyd’s post, if Unique continues to improve his outside shooting he will have a bright future in the game of basketball beyond UMass with the many tools he has.

Wiscstlatlmia
Junior

Post by Wiscstlatlmia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 pm

He is our Victor Oladipo!

*eye twitches*

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:00 am

Wiscstlatlmia wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:56 pm
He is our Victor Oladipo!

*eye twitches*
Just like Putney was our Kevin Durant.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:45 am

In this article, there's a picture of MM addressing the team during a time out. McClean is not sitting with the team on the court, but standing behind them. You can see that he's really paying attention to the coach. Earlier this year, before the season started (I think), there was a picture of practice and McLean was also noticeably tuned in to the coach.
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... iver_index
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am

I saw on the court yesterday that Unique was very verbal. One time on a foul shot he directed two guys to switch positions--I think it was Holloway and Hines. He did some other directing. So yeah, the guy who seems to be paying attention in those photos also looks like he's paying attention on the court. We all heard that he's a great athlete but it seems like he has something else going for him, too.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:24 pm

When you look at the box score you pretty much see a non-contributor. If you were at the game you saw a guy play lock down defense, hustle after loose balls and do a lot of little things that don't show up. Reminded me a bit of some of the games Mike Babul used to have.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:52 pm

uz2b-len wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am
I saw on the court yesterday that Unique was very verbal. One time on a foul shot he directed two guys to switch positions--I think it was Holloway and Hines. He did some other directing. So yeah, the guy who seems to be paying attention in those photos also looks like he's paying attention on the court. We all heard that he's a great athlete but it seems like he has something else going for him, too.
This summer, after working with the team for 2 summer school sessions, the staff was flabbergasted at how little the players naturally communicated with each other on the floor...even as they were prodding them. This was going to be a major point of emphasis with the staff heading into the start of practice...if you asked them they would say there is still a long way to go but they have improved.
If you see a team that looks good on paper but keeps underachieving you can bet they don’t communicate well on the court. It is a basketball skill that is as important as any when it comes to winning games. It is not taught very well at the younger levels. Kids go to one on one personal instruction now...it isn’t taught there.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:51 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:52 pm
uz2b-len wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am
This summer, after working with the team for 2 summer school sessions, the staff was flabbergasted at how little the players naturally communicated with each other on the floor...even as they were prodding them. This was going to be a major point of emphasis with the staff heading into the start of practice...if you asked them they would say there is still a long way to go but they have improved.
If you see a team that looks good on paper but keeps underachieving you can bet they don’t communicate well on the court. It is a basketball skill that is as important as any when it comes to winning games. It is not taught very well at the younger levels. Kids go to one on one personal instruction now...it isn’t taught there.
These are some big facts right here. I am on the coaching staff for an upper level public school in the MD/DC area and the lack off communication is astounding. It's almost like the players fail to realize there is a direct correlation between lack of communication and mental errors (I. e. giving up open buckets in transition, defensive break downs, etc...) Watch the NBA with the sound up. Those dudes don't ever stop talking.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

69MG wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:24 pm
When you look at the box score you pretty much see a non-contributor. If you were at the game you saw a guy play lock down defense, hustle after loose balls and do a lot of little things that don't show up. Reminded me a bit of some of the games Mike Babul used to have.
Especially the blank box score part.....
In Matt McCall I trust!

SoCal
Junior

Post by SoCal » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:53 am

This generation doesn't communicate without their smartphones. No phones on the court.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 am

Sports Center Top 10 Baybee!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."