KAEO: James Sosinski

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: James Sosinski

Post by UMass87 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:40 pm

^ half the off-the-line defense on that IM team. Doesn't seem fair.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:22 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:When exactly, is the Arizona HS basketball season?
In the winter so February 10th to the 25th... :wink:

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:09 am

NilesGold wrote:Wouldn't he have football obligations through at least the end of November, possibly longer if they go to a bowl game?
That's funny.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:12 am

Chris20 wrote:I think the guys that have done it don't start hoop until their football obligations are over.
That's correct. I'm connected with Andy Maclay on Twitter, and that's what he did. Since he was a football player first, he completed that season, then joined the hoop team. His senior year was when we won the FCS title, and that went thru mid-December, long after the start of the hoop schedule.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:28 am

This Sosinski-Big men injured situation sums up why DK is a moron as a head coach. Here is a kid that is a scholarship worthy player that you can have for "free" and all DK says is "we'll look at him" and never follows up on it. Now the team is in a bind and could use someone like Sosinski and this is the very first we're hearing about him playing hoops. Perhaps DK should have done his due diligence with this kid and looked into the possibility of him playing this season, before yesterday. But that would have been too logical for DK, much like running an offense that actually has set plays

Tman1319
Junior

Post by Tman1319 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:59 am

^ #troll

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:17 am

Kelz626 wrote:This Sosinski-Big men injured situation sums up why DK is a moron as a head coach.

What Kellogg says publically about a players is different than what he does/says privately. At this time what benefit is it to Sosinski if Kellogg comes out and says he wants him on the team. That would be undermining the football team and putting unneeded attention on Sosinski to answer questions.

Also three players that Kellogg thought would be part of the mix this year; Gordon, Dyson, and Space are not part of the picture. He could have tossed a scholarship to a low level player to fill out the roster that would have tied up a scholarship but instead he looked to the future and used the scholarships on players that has Umass ranked as the 23rd best class in 2016 (per 24/7 sports) and 25th best per Scouts. This doesn't factor in Zach Lewis and LeWayne Pipkins being part of the 2016 class and potentially one more impact player. This season is going to be tough but the experience the underclassman get will be invaluable in 2016 and beyond.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 am

^ Thanks for that.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:58 am

^^ Good post 617. Another thing to consider is how hard it is to integrate a player into the system at this time if he hasn't practiced with the team. I think that even if we get a football player or two very soon, they will mostly be used to help out in practice, where we are short of bodies. DK had the team managers out there yesterday just to have enough bodies for some drills. If Sosinski or whomever is good enough, it will still take a few weeks before DK would put him in a game except for injury or foul trouble help. Could they help eventually, yes, but not right away.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:03 pm

^ Learn the system........that's a good one! The most difficult thing would be to remember where practice was.....Mullins or practice facility!

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:22 pm

What Kellogg says publically about a players is different than what he does/says privately. At this time what benefit is it to Sosinski if Kellogg comes out and says he wants him on the team. That would be undermining the football team and putting unneeded attention on Sosinski to answer questions.

Also three players that Kellogg thought would be part of the mix this year; Gordon, Dyson, and Space are not part of the picture. He could have tossed a scholarship to a low level player to fill out the roster that would have tied up a scholarship but instead he looked to the future and used the scholarships on players that has Umass ranked as the 23rd best class in 2016 (per 24/7 sports) and 25th best per Scouts. This doesn't factor in Zach Lewis and LeWayne Pipkins being part of the 2016 class and potentially one more impact player. This season is going to be tough but the experience the underclassman get will be invaluable in 2016 and beyond.

I highly doubt it would "undermine" the football program if a reporter asked a question or 2 about a 4th string backup QB was going to play basketball or not. At most there's a "feel-good" story about a kid playing two sports at the D-1 level

Secondly that proves my point exactly. Instead of tossing a scholarship to a low level player you could have a walk-on who got recruited by those low level schools. But instead DK sort of brushed the situation off and didn't think twice about it. When asked the other day by Dan Malone if Sosinski would be an option he said "I haven't thought about that yet" which leads me to believe at no point was Sosinski on his radar

Ultimately it doesn't matter much because even if he joins the team he probably won't play much. Its just frustrating that the head coach of our team brushes an option off like he's got a better idea and it comes back to bite him

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:13 pm

Kelz626 wrote: When asked the other day by Dan Malone if Sosinski would be an option he said "I haven't thought about that yet" which leads me to believe at no point was Sosinski on his radar
Because coaches always tell the media the truth.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Is LeWayne the twin brother of LuWane? 8)
Time to Win

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:00 pm

This gripe is to me a very minor detail compared to what happens on the court.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Ajmal
Junior

Post by Ajmal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Seems likely this will happen ...

Daniel Malone ‏@Daniel_Malone
Derek Kellogg said there's a walk-on tryout in the works. Team has also reached out to James Sosinski for after football ends.

Matt Vautour ‏@MattVautourDHG
Kellogg said he's reached out to football about James Sosinski to join basketball team after football ends