Opponent Watch 2014-15

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Chris20
Hall of Fame

Opponent Watch 2014-15

Post by Chris20 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:03 pm

We get started next Friday, and so do a lot of our opponents. I'll add some commentary and betting lines sometime next week, but here's the slate. First glance points to a bunch of easy wins, as most of our opponents enjoy cupcakes at home to get their season started.

Cornell @ George Mason – 7pm
Fairleigh Dickinson @ St. Joseph’s – 7pm
Radford @ Richmond – 7pm
Grambling St @ George Washington – 7pm
Alabama A&M @ Dayton – 7pm
Tennessee @ (15) VCU – 630pm CBS Sports Network

Two A-10 teams open with non-Division 1 teams, so these results won't affect RPI or any computer measures.....

Pace @ URI – 730pm
NYIT @ Fordham – 8pm

Cleveland St @ Iona – 7pm
MIT @ Harvard – 7pm
UNH @ Boston College – 7pm
Long Beach St @ BYU – 8pm
Binghamton @ Notre Dame – 9pm

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Re: Opponent Watch 2014-15

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Let me thank you in advance Chris for the yeoman's work I'm sure you will be putting in on this.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Always a welcome thread, thanks Chris20.

ScottieB
Junior

Post by ScottieB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Tennessee @ VCU is interesting. As we are all too aware Tenn made a heck of a run in the NCAA after being a low (in retrospect) seed, and was picked to be like 13th in the SEC this year. Did they lose a lot of people or just still not getting respect?

I also admit I don't know too much about VCU this year though a 15 seed preseason says something. Anyone care to give me the quick version?

Also it was probably noted elsewhere but it was nice to see a handful of votes for UMass in the preseason coaches' poll

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Opening night looks to be a romp for our opponents. Richmond, Iona, and BYU are the only teams that should be challenged. 11 games (that count), and I think 11-0 is the most likely outcome.

Cornell @ George Mason7pm -- GMU is expected to be in the bottom third of the A10 this year, with a seemingly toxic coaching situation. No one seems too happy to have Paul Hewitt around, and this season doesn't show much promise. They open with Cornell, though, which should be a win. Cornell is probably the worst team in the Ivy, despite the return of their best player, Shonn Miller, who sat out last year.

Fairleigh Dickinson @ St. Joseph’s7pm -- The Hawks open with Northeast Conference also-ran Fairleigh Dickinson, who were pretty bad last year and figure to be fairleigh awful once again. Hawks, as usual, will be an interesting team to watch. Martelli lost a lot to graduation, but return Bembry and have some new pieces they are excited about.

Radford @ Richmond7pm -- High hopes in Richmond this year, most prognosticators have them grouped with us as a bubble-ish team going in. They lost two studs in Evans and Lindsay - but they actually lost them both to injury late last year and played pretty well without them. Radford is decent - they could contend for the Big South title behind a group of seniors who went to the CBI last year and advanced.

Grambling St @ George Washington7pm -- GW is my favorite for A10 champion this year. Not terribly deep, but the best starting lineup in the league by a mile, in my opinion. They start with Grambling, arguably the worst team in D1 and a lock for a 325+ RPI. Not a team you want on your schedule. Easy win, but won't help their numbers in March.

Alabama A&M @ Dayton7pm -- Dayton is a preseason darling after their great run in the Dance. They also open up with an awful SWAC team that won't help their numbers. Should be a very easy win.

Tennessee @ (15) VCU630pm CBS Sports Network -- VCU is the consensus A10 favorite. I think they'll be in the mix, but I don't see that they'll be markedly better than they have been, which is very good, especially at home. We won't recognize much about this Vol's team. After nearly making the Elite Eight last year, Cuonzo Martin took the Cal job, the big guys left, and his entire recruiting class backed out. They'll be a middle of the road team in an SEC that figures to be top-heavy once again. I look for VCU to roll, Tennessee does not have the guard depth to handle to pressure.

Three A-10 teams open with non-Division 1 teams, so these results won't affect RPI or any computer measures.....

Catholic @ Davidson -- 7pm
Pace @ URI730pm
NYIT @ Fordham8pm

Cleveland St @ Iona 7pm -- This should be a good one, with two strong mid-majors going at it. Cleveland St should contend for the Horizon title, despite losing their top scorer to transfer (Michigan St.). Iona is the pick in the MAAC, a conference we'll be following closely all year, with three teams on our schedule. Iona has a nice inside/outside combo with All-MAAC guard AJ English, and big guy David Laury. If that name sounds familiar, it's because he committed to UMass at one time, as part of the Lasme/Maxwell/Bowers/Kouyate class. Ok. maybe it wasn't THAT long ago...but the dude is about 27 I think.

MIT @ Harvard7pm -- Harvard could be the best team on our schedule, according to the hype. They should roll MIT.

UNH @ Boston College7pm -- BC sucks. UNH probably sucks much more. Eagles should roll in front of tens of screaming superfans at Conte Indoor Stadium.

Long Beach St @ BYU8pm -- Decent test for the Cougars out of the gate. LBSU is an experienced team that should contend in the Big West. BYU lost G Matt Carlino to transfer (Marquette), and big man Erik Mika is on his religious mission. They do have Tyler Haws back, and he is a stud. BYU will be favored but this is a tough opening game. Similar to what we're up against, I'd say.

Binghamton @ Notre Dame9pm -- Notre Dame looks to be a solid/middle of the pack ACC team this year, which isn't a bad thing. The ACC seems to be awfully deep. Dickie V is an ACC rump-swab, but he just may be right with his prediction of 10 ACC bids to the dance. Irish open with Bingamton, an unremarkable America East team. Shouldn't be close.
Last edited by Chris20 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:14 pm

Like I said earlier, many thanks Chris.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Chris20 wrote: Fairleigh Dickinson @ St. Joseph’s7pm -- The Hawks open with Northeast Conference also-ran Fairleigh Dickinson, who were pretty bad last year and figure to be fairleigh awful once again. Hawks, as usual, will be an interesting team to watch. Martelli lost a lot to graduation, but return Bembry and have some new pieces they are excited about.

Long Beach St @ BYU8pm -- Decent test for the Cougars out of the gate. LBSU is an experienced team that should contend in the Big West. BYU lost G Matt Carlino to transfer (Marquette), and big man Erik Mika is on his religious mission. They do have Tyler Haws back, and he is a stud. BYU will be favored but this is a tough opening game. Similar to what we're up against, I'd say.
First, thank you Chris, I really look forward to reading your previews.

Fairleigh awful made me laugh!

And Haws is so fun to watch, wish the game was in Massachusetts again just to see the kid play in person again!
Hire Matt McCall!

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:09 pm

You're the man Chris. Your write ups became part of my daily internet reading last year. Plus your BC trolling is always top notch.

Add: The David Laury mention made my jaw drop. I swear we were recruiting him before I got on campus in 2007. He's 24 so its legitimately possible. Kid is probably head and shoulders better than almost every player in that conference.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Calmass9 wrote:You're the man Chris. Your write ups became part of my daily internet reading last year. Plus your BC trolling is always top notch.

Add: The David Laury mention made my jaw drop. I swear we were recruiting him before I got on campus in 2007. He's 24 so its legitimately possible. Kid is probably head and shoulders better than almost every player in that conference.
First, props to Chris for adding a lot to the basketball season. I really enjoy the info and appreciate how much work you must have to do to produce your posts.

Now, on David Laury. He verballed in April, 2010. How far might we have gotten in 2011-2014 if we had another player with his size and skill?
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... ecruit.php

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Chris20 wrote:UNH @ Boston College7pm -- BC sucks. UNH probably sucks much more. Eagles should roll in front of tens of screaming superfans at Conte Indoor Stadium.
That's just awesomeness right there........

ScottieB
Junior

Post by ScottieB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 pm

Chris20 wrote: Tennessee @ (15) VCU630pm CBS Sports Network -- VCU is the consensus A10 favorite. I think they'll be in the mix, but I don't see that they'll be markedly better than they have been, which is very good, especially at home. We won't recognize much about this Vol's team. After nearly making the Elite Eight last year, Cuonzo Martin took the Cal job, the big guys left, and his entire recruiting class backed out. They'll be a middle of the road team in an SEC that figures to be top-heavy once again. I look for VCU to roll, Tennessee does not have the guard depth to handle to pressure.
I probably didn't even have to ask, did I? Thank you sir. Always look forward to reading these.

ScottieB
Junior

Post by ScottieB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:24 pm

ScottieB wrote:Tennessee @ VCU is interesting. As we are all too aware Tenn made a heck of a run in the NCAA after being a low (in retrospect) seed, and was picked to be like 13th in the SEC this year. Did they lose a lot of people or just still not getting respect?

I also admit I don't know too much about VCU this year though a 15 seed preseason says something. Anyone care to give me the quick version?

Also it was probably noted elsewhere but it was nice to see a handful of votes for UMass in the preseason coaches' poll

Chris20 wrote: Tennessee @ (15) VCU630pm CBS Sports Network -- VCU is the consensus A10 favorite. I think they'll be in the mix, but I don't see that they'll be markedly better than they have been, which is very good, especially at home. We won't recognize much about this Vol's team. After nearly making the Elite Eight last year, Cuonzo Martin took the Cal job, the big guys left, and his entire recruiting class backed out. They'll be a middle of the road team in an SEC that figures to be top-heavy once again. I look for VCU to roll, Tennessee does not have the guard depth to handle to pressure.
I probably didn't even have to ask, did I? Thank you sir. Always look forward to reading these.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks Chris!

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:06 pm

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi's latest. Obviously, next to useless especially this time of year.

Funny, though....right now it looks like last year, with our schedule full of the same bubbly teams. His "last four byes" include two of our opponents, and his "last four in" are ALL on our schedule. We are the last team he has listed in "next four out". We're doomed.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I don't understand why anyone reads or pays attention to Lunardi's projections before the season even starts. It is his fantasy world and his attempt to achieve some relevance and preserve his income stream.