KAEO Curtis Cobb (2015)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Curtis Cobb (2015)

Post by NilesGold » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm generally not a big fan of sit-out transfers with only 2 years left (mostly because of the grad transfer rule). Cobb's numbers are good, but not great. Having Cobb be part of the same class (eligibility-wise) as our already huge 2016 class doesn't seem ideal.

All that being said, I have no idea what's going on with the rest of the existing roster. I've never seen Cobb play in college and I have no idea what the situation was like for him at Fairfield.

I do know that one thing about McCall being hired here that gave me a lot of hope was that he preached player development. If he can follow-through on that, Cobb could make big strides in his game during his sit-out year and be a really good player for us.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:35 pm

This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

Jacks statman
Freshman

Post by Jacks statman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Just looked at his game by game stats and could not be more underwhelmed. Except for the one game he was unstoppable his shooting was terrible. He did seem to rebound fairly well, but lost his starting roll by the end of the season. Don't see why we would waste one of our openings on a guy who was bad at a lower level than the A10. Bad first impression of MM's recruiting skills. Sure hope he proves me wrong.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 pm

We shall see how it goes. Hopefully it works out. Could be another version of Lewis but let's hope for the best.

Two more scholarships open, possibly three.
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Jacks statman wrote:Just looked at his game by game stats and could not be more underwhelmed. Except for the one game he was unstoppable his shooting was terrible. He did seem to rebound fairly well, but lost his starting roll by the end of the season. Don't see why we would waste one of our openings on a guy who was bad at a lower level than the A10. Bad first impression of MM's recruiting skills. Sure hope he proves me wrong.
If you looked at the game by game stats of most of the UMass players then you'd probably be underwhelmed by most as well. Players fit some systems and coaches better than others. It's almost a certainty that McCall is a better judge of players he can work with than you or I are.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:32 pm

UConn just picked up Fordham transfer Antwoine Anderson. If you're not thrilled with Cobb, how do these stats look to you?
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... e-anderson

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 pm

uz2b-len wrote:He's gonna come in as a junior and join a class which currently already has 5 guys. WTF?
I know ppl don't want to hear it but I'd expect some turnover from the 2016 class. Just kinda the way it goes. Interesting to see it play out.

MassDynasty321
Senior

Post by MassDynasty321 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:30 am

I actually am really into this pickup. Sure we have 5 guys in that class, but none of them fit the mold of a classic scoring G/F. I also think it's notable that MM's first get is a guy who played his high school ball a few minutes down the road. As long as he wears sleeves and I never need to see those creepy shoulder tats, I'm a fan of this.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:01 am

Looks like Gash was also the one that recruited him and sealed the deal.. very interesting that he has not even been formally introduced but is landing deals for us

http://www.gazettenet.com/Fairfield-tra ... ss-9314430
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 am

Quick thought on Cobb. My initial impression of Cobb is that he probably won't be successful if McCall is going to use him as the primary option or run the offense through him. But, Cobb could be a really good role player at UMass. Best as a spot-up shooter. A piece of the puzzle.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Wait wait wait, there are some people here complaining??? Why??? (I know why, but we won't get into that here)...

This kid looks like he can play. It looks like a solid piece of the puzzle for McCall, assuming the current core is intact when he is ready to play.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Interesting first pickup. Not really sure what happened to him down the stretch last year but he showed some pretty good scoring potential up until then.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 am

OMFG!!!!!

Please take the 5 or so minutes it would take to read this entire topic from post #1. This is the poster-child for the dysfunctionality of UmassHoops.com!

Swampy reprimanding a poster for guessing that the 14'-15' Umass team would be 2 games over .500 and taking on any bet from said poster (and I was supposed to hold and hand over funds to him once he - Swampy - won) - BTW the other poster was correct - Umass was 17-15 - 2 games over .500. Swampy also reprimanded him for the "hot take" that Umass wasn't making the tourney without Chaz. Arguable but probably a correct hot take because of the fact the DK has proven that without Chaz he is a mediocre coach at the very best.

Niles is lukewarm about Cobb now - but two winters ago Niles was comparing this same kid to Monty Mack - I believe some of the hyperbole used was "smooth" and "scoring machine". This past weekend this same kid is now "meh I don't think he will work in McCall's system very well"..... THIS is why I think your scouting analysis is fucking hot air! And it is why I continue to tell you to tone down your "absolutely positive" sounding scouting reports. You don't know shit - just like the rest of us.............. And YOU DON'T KNOW McCall's SYSTEM YET! YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHO/HOW THE PIECES WILL BE USED YET!

The guy has to figure out how to use what he has - he inherited these guys - he didn't bring them here based on what he needs to run his system.

I am really excited about the prospects of something different next year but I have no clue what this will look like AND NEITHER DO ANY OF YOU! This guy WILL do this or this team WILL play like that is fucking horse-shit. YOU DON'T KNOW - IT IS A FUCKING GUESS! :oops:
Last edited by eldonabe on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:51 am

Can't really argue with any of that.....

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:11 am

eldonabe wrote:OMFG!!!!!

Please take the 5 or so minutes it would take to read this entire topic from post #1. This is the poster-child for the dysfunctionality of UmassHoops.com!

Swampy reprimanding a poster for guessing that the 14'-15' Umass team would be 2 games over .500 and taking on any bet from said poster (and I was supposed to hold and hand over funds to him once he - Swampy - won) - BTW the other poster was correct - Umass was 17-15 - 2 games over .500. Swampy also reprimanded him for the "hot take" that Umass wasn't making the tourney without Chaz. Arguable but probably a correct hot take because of the fact the DK has proven that without Chaz he is a mediocre coach at the very best.

Niles is lukewarm about Cobb now - but two winters ago Niles was comparing this same kid to Monty Mack - I believe some of the hyperbole used was "smooth" and "scoring machine". This past weekend this same kid is now "meh I don't think he will work in McCall's system very well"..... THIS is why I think your scouting analysis is fucking hot air! And it is why I continue to tell you to tone down your "absolutely positive" sounding scouting reports. You don't know shit - just like the rest of us.............. And YOU DON'T KNOW McCall's SYSTEM YET! YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHO/HOW THE PIECES WILL BE USED YET!

They guy has to figure out how to use what he has - he inherited these guys - he didn't bring them here based on what he needs to run his system.

I am really excited about the prospects of something different next year but I have no clue what this will look like AND NEITHER DO ANY OF YOU! This guy WILL do this or this team WILL play like that is fucking horse-shit. YOU DON'T KNOW - IT IS A FUCKING GUESS! :oops:

This is why you are in the HOF Eldon. This is why you couldn't stay retired for too long. UMasshoops runs through your blood baby!!!!!!