I need a new team......

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
obg
Senior

Post by obg » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:14 pm

IU, UmA They get your $ whether you go to the game or not! They are losing the paying customers in droves. Yesterday I was told that the crowd was booing the team when they went in off at the break. It's a sign that they are fed up with things the way they are now.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:18 pm

I am sure that if there is not significant improvement in the next 2 months Lappas will be gone. How much money do you think this team is loosing because of the anemic crowds? This team is worse than last years.
I will also say that not only will the school lose as far as attendance is concerned, there will be a drop in donations.
Those who think Lappas is here no matter what simply do not know what they are talking about.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:18 pm

i think you meant me...

yes, i am aware of that... tuition and fees baby! but i am still going to go to the games... i dont give a rats ass who the coach is... i dont care who the players on the court are.... if they win, then i will be the happiest man on the earth.... if they lose, like they are, then i will continue to be depressed and pissed off about it... but i am still going to go to the games, and support UMASS... that, to me, is what it is all about

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:38 pm

Innervisions, I appreciate your undying support of this team. However as an equally die hard fan, I am only interested in seeing the school do what is best for the team. Once is becomes apparent that someone is hurting the program and under their leadership, mediocrity, is the best we can expect, then I look for someone different. If Flint was mediocrity, the Lappas has been a total failure to date because we have gone downhill every year since he has been here.
I have not given up totally yet, however if we cannot show significant improvement over the next 2 months a move should and will be made. Lombardi is clearly a person who demands results and the money it may cost in buying out a contract would more than be made up with the hiring of a coach that can improve the program. And, given where this program is headed, that would not be too hard. And, as I have said before, if a new coach is hired, he will not get the same package as Lappas got - thus costing us less.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:42 pm

Gotta love the enthusiasm IV. One positive is you get to see some future NBA players from other teams play.

Jeff93
Junior

Post by Jeff93 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:30 am

Don't overlook UVM. Pretty good team, though a weak conference. Tough drive, but worth it to see the effort. NCAA last year, and i think this is their season to make it to the final 32 :)

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: I need a new team......

Post by eldonabe » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:26 am

UmAstudent wrote: Also if you watched Coach Cals team today they had the same problems that UMass showed against GW.
Maybe so but NEVER against Lasalle....