2014-15 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 am

I didn't want to start a new thread for this since we have not had any known interest in this kid, but Sean Obi, a 6'9, 240 center is transferring from Rice. He was a freshman this year and is from Nigeria, but went to high school in CT. He lead Rice in scoring, rebounds and blocks as a freshman. He looks like a late bloomer and might be worth taking a look at.
http://www.examiner.com/article/two-ric ... ching-hire

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:43 am

I saw that about the Rice kid. Sounds like he would certainly be a good get, but probably a pipe dream as I think the high majors are going to come calling for a kid who almost averaged a double-double as a freshman.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:33 pm

This will be the most revealing year of DK's tenure. First three years get a pass. Next three years were really solid but we had Chaz. Now we have a lot of talent but no Chaz. This is where we learn a ton about DK.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Hire Matt McCall!

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Wants to be closer to home. Auburn is my bet.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Marty Peretz wrote:This will be the most revealing year of DK's tenure. First three years get a pass. Next three years were really solid but we had Chaz. Now we have a lot of talent but no Chaz. This is where we learn a ton about DK.
Totally agree. This will be the most telling season for DK. I'm very excited to see what happens. The season should be really fun. Hopefully, the ooc is filled with some good games to replace the MAC games.

At LSU and at BYU will be very tough games, especially early in the season as we learn to play without Chaz and working the new guys/guys new to decent minutes. Providence will be a fun game, I hope we can keep this series going. Why isn't Ed Cooley being talked about for some of these bigger openings?!?! Siena will, also, be tougher than most probably think. Jimmy Patsos has done a great job in his first season there and brought in some pretty good talent. (They're in the finals of the CBI against Fresno, 3 games series beginning next week). At Harvard isn't going be a walk in the park either, especially now that Amaker is staying. They'll be very very good, they return their top 3 scorers in Saunders, Chambers Missi.

I'm really looking forward to the Hall of Fame Tip-Off. I believe someone said we'll play Navy and I think Manhattan before the actual bracket play. Providence is already on our schedule so it looks like ND or FSU to start. Should be fun.

The A10 looks to be pretty wide open. Dayton returns some key players from their great Elite 8 run. URI should be interesting to see if they can finally make the leap they've been waiting for under Hurley. Mathews and Martin should help lead the way. VCU will be VCU again with Weber, Graham and Johnson. St. Joe's has Bemry but loses almost everyone else. St. Louis is obviously in rebuild mode, and it'll be interesting to see what they can do without Majerus's recruits.

My top 5 for the A10 going into next year:

1. George Washington
2. VCU
3. UMass
4. Dayton
5. URI

Oh, and let's get this guy! 8)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 26703.html
Hire Matt McCall!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:
Marty Peretz wrote:This will be the most revealing year of DK's tenure. First three years get a pass. Next three years were really solid but we had Chaz. Now we have a lot of talent but no Chaz. This is where we learn a ton about DK.
Totally agree. This will be the most telling season for DK. I'm very excited to see what happens. The season should be really fun. Hopefully, the ooc is filled with some good games to replace the MAC games.

At LSU and at BYU will be very tough games, especially early in the season as we learn to play without Chaz and working the new guys/guys new to decent minutes. Providence will be a fun game, I hope we can keep this series going. Why isn't Ed Cooley being talked about for some of these bigger openings?!?! Siena will, also, be tougher than most probably think. Jimmy Patsos has done a great job in his first season there and brought in some pretty good talent. (They're in the finals of the CBI against Fresno, 3 games series beginning next week). At Harvard isn't going be a walk in the park either, especially now that Amaker is staying. They'll be very very good, they return their top 3 scorers in Saunders, Chambers Missi.

I'm really looking forward to the Hall of Fame Tip-Off. I believe someone said we'll play Navy and I think Manhattan before the actual bracket play. Providence is already on our schedule so it looks like ND or FSU to start. Should be fun.

The A10 looks to be pretty wide open. Dayton returns some key players from their great Elite 8 run. URI should be interesting to see if they can finally make the leap they've been waiting for under Hurley. Mathews and Martin should help lead the way. VCU will be VCU again with Weber, Graham and Johnson. St. Joe's has Bemry but loses almost everyone else. St. Louis is obviously in rebuild mode, and it'll be interesting to see what they can do without Majerus's recruits.

My top 5 for the A10 going into next year:

1. George Washington
2. VCU
3. UMass
4. Dayton
5. URI

Oh, and let's get this guy! 8)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 26703.html
Given the reports that he wants to be closer to his family in Georgia, it might be tough to convince Mr. Ware to come to Amherst. :lol:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Should join the Sun Belt conference for all sports then! 8)
Hire Matt McCall!

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 pm

I loved and will miss Chaz and I think Samp was one of the classiest kids we've had here in many years, but overall, I'm not devastated about losing the three of them. If we're being honest, they were perhaps our worst three defenders and none of them were particularly effective shooting the ball. Offensively, Put and Samp were often incredibly frustrating in terms of decision making. Lastly, both Samp and Put were nontraditional offensive players. They didn't exactly fit the prototype at any position and while this occasionally benefitted us, it also hurt us at times too. Put was basically a 6'9" two guard who couldn't shoot for the last 10-15 games of the season and Samp was small forward who either played a shooting guard's role or that of an undersized power forward. I also think DK was reluctant to give Maxie more minutes because he didn't want to sit his seniors. Truth be told, my favorite line-up featured neither Samp nor Putney, so in my opinion we only lose one of our top five best players (Chaz).

I also think Jabari is going to be a really great replacement. He won't be Chaz but in truth, we don't need him to be and might not even want him to be even if he were capable of that. Chaz was fantastic but Chaz dominated the ball and was often looking to score. If Hinds can distribute the ball and score even 8 a game (like he did at WVU) we could be really good. DG got WAY better as the season progressed and will only be better as the offense runs more and more through him. Maxie will finally see the floor for 30 minutes a night and the sky's the limit for him. Cady I don't expect to be a freak, but I do expect him to get better and as much as we dog him here sometimes, the kid still puts up good numbers. I also think he'll see more touches with Chaz no longer here.

The key is finding one or two guys who can consistently hit the three ball. Trey did that to a degree in the conference slate but he's still not a lights out shooter. Dyson or Santee or Clarke or Anderson all have a chance to get major minutes if they can hit the three ball. And remember, sophomores ALWAYS make strides. No one expected Ricky Harris to go from 4 to 17 points a game in a year. No one expected Trey to go from 2 to almost 10. Putney, Maxie, so many others have gotten tons better, so you have to think that we're going to get serious numbers from at least Dyson/Berger/Santee.

The first part of the year will be tough, particularly as we look to fill the leadership void left behind by Chaz's departure, but I think DG can step in and I think this team has a lot of guys with great motors. DG, Maxie and Trey all play the game harder than Put and while Samp played hard, injuries clearly limited him at times. If we play hard and put in some wrinkles in the half court, we could be really dangerous come February and March.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm thinking we've got 5 guys (Cady, Maxie, DG, Trey, Jabari) slated for probably 25-30 minutes each next year which will leave about 50-75 minutes a game for everyone else. Probably 10-15 for a big (4/5), 20-30 (3/4) for a bigger wing/forward and another 20-30 for a smaller wing (2/3).

Figure Holloway and TB will compete for backup big minutes.
Figure Coleman and Berger will compete for backup bigger wing minutes, although Santee has the length where he might be able to give some time here too.
Figure DD, Santee, Clark & CJ will compete for backup smaller wing minutes.

I recognize there isn't much difference between some of the smaller wings and bigger wings, I kind of took into consideration skill sets as well.

There is some time to be had for these other kids and DK will have to use some of them -- he has no other choice. Will be interesting to see how they compete and how it all it all shakes out. They are different enough that DK should be able to mix and match a little bit. Agree with the previous post about this being a telling year in DK's ability as a coach.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:31 pm

There's always someone who has a big offseason and definitively works their way into the regular rotation as a high quality contributor. This year it was Trey. Last year it was Maxie. The year before it was Put. All three of those guys did it in their sophomore year.

Dyson, Santee and maybe Berger all could become that guy. I also think Coleman will see more minutes than any frosh we've had here since TV.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Next year's team is going to have good talent, the key to any success next year is going to be coaching.

Personnel
Losing Chaz is going to hurt, but for as good as he was he wasn't without flaws. He was fantastic in transition, but in the half-court (offense & defense) he became very average. The team is going to have two experienced point guards to replace him with, Hinds and Davis. We already know a lot about Davis, he's a solid, but not flashy player. He doesn't force things too much, when can get his shot off he's very accurate and he can create his own shot off the dribble. He can't compare to Chaz in transition, but in the half court he's equal to, if not better than Chaz. Hinds is more of a question mark. He was highly regarded coming out of high school, had a decent freshmen year, but but things never totally clicked for him at WVU and his sophomore year was disappointing. He's got the potential to be fantastic at UMass and could be a dynamic playmaker, especially in transition.

I'm a big fan of Putney and Carter in that they seemed like good guys and gave 100% to the program, but they were extremely limited on both offense and defense. It was debatable how much Coleman, Dyson, Santee and Berger could've helped the team this year. By next year they'll all have had a year of practicing with the team under their belts and I'm confident that at least two of them will be ready to provide major contributions next year and at least one more of the three will be able to provide significant (but lesser) contributions. With Esho able to slide right into one of the starting forward postions plus the four sophomores to be, losing Carter and Putney shouldn't hurt the team at all for next year.

Coaching
Next year is when DK will take a major step towards proving his doubters right or wrong. He's going to have to transition the team away from relying on Chaz. Hopefully DK rises to the occasion, installs some half-court set plays, improves the woefully pathetic full-court press (or abandons it), and makes numerous other adjustments to fix some of the major problems this year's team had. Unless there are some unexpected personnel issues that take away one or more players, this is the team that DK has chosen to put together over the course of the last several years, they are well regarded recruits that have talent, any shortcomings are 100% on DK.

Edit: I considered Coleman a sophomore because despite not playing in games he got almost the same amount of practice time as everyone else, so although he's still got 4 years of eligibility left I expect him to play like a sophomore next year.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:16 pm

I really think we are a better team this upcoming year.. Keyword is team .. Only way teams from the A-10 can make some buzz is by playing great defense (ours will improve) as well as play as a complete team (which I think we will do more without Chaz)
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 am

The Michigan team was a great current example of a team losing 3 starters, including their pg best player, trey Burke. They also lost hardaway to the nba and McGary got hurt at the start of this year. They made the finals last year but just lost in the elite 8 but also won the big 10 reg season and made the conference final this year. Their remaining 2 starters improved, added a freshman starting pg and another guard off bench, had a soph who only averaged 2 ppg and 10 min became a starter and legit scorer, and their back up big man improved when he became a starter. This looks like part of the blueprint Umass will have to follow next year to stay in the tourney discussion.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 am

NilesGold wrote:With Esho able to slide right into one of the starting forward postions plus the four sophomores to be, losing Carter and Putney shouldn't hurt the team at all for next year.
Agreed, Esho will give as much or probably more as the starting PF than we got last year. What we're gonna miss is his explosive energy off the bench. I don't know who that's gonna be, kinda hoping it's Santee with a lot of scoring in bunches.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams