2014-15 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Big guard who could play great D too
The E sho, best show in town

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 pm

I'm starting to think that jabarie hinds is going to be the answer and we are underestimating what his role will be next year. He was mr basketball New York and a top 100 recruit. He started as a freshman in the big east and then started a majority of his soph year in the big 12. I'm not sure how playing in two different major conferences will effect him but he was able to play against a lot of different competition. He lost his starting job at the end of his soph year but the starting guard combo on that wvu team was juwan staten and eron Harris. We should know about how good staten is and Harris was their leading scorer and is also transferring out, was hoping jabarie could recruit him but he's planning to be closer to his Indy home. Being the 3rd best guard in that group doesn't prove he doesn't belong.

His freshman numbers are pretty similar to Chaz's freshman numbers. It would have been nice to see an increase in production sophomore year but a change of scenery might be what he needed. With the number of Huggins transfers the last few years, no one knows what led to the chemistry issues of his wvu team. Hinds could put up similar numbers to Chaz and should be a starter from day 1 with Umass.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:34 pm

yeah I think Hinds will surprise alot of people next year. Plus remember he's been practicing against a quick guard in Chaz. I really think we might be better than people think next season, and more balanced. Do need someone to step up and be that consistent outside threat and a banger inside. We won't suck that's for sure
The E sho, best show in town

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:41 am

A friend in a program told me that we may start slower next year but by the end we should be a different team. A better team. The way the offense will be run will also be different. . DK basically had no say by the end of the year when a particular player was on the floor.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 am

I believe it.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:51 am

TheInsider wrote:DK basically had no say by the end of the year when a particular player was on the floor.
Please expand on this if you can.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 am

Don't want to expand too much on what he said but I think u can figure it out.

circumpolar
Sophomore

Post by circumpolar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:03 am

My guess is that he's talking about Chaz basically running the show for better or worse.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 am

TheInsider wrote: . DK basically had no say by the end of the year when a particular player was on the floor.
Insider If you are going to talk about a player have the guts/courtesy to state the name.
This 'particular player' crap is not fair to all the other players.
If you don't want to name the player don't spread your rumors.

Even if most people think they know who you are referring to it is still a coward's way of slamming a player. IMO
"This is my dream job''

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 am

Sorry your too stupid to figure it out. Any time someone says a bad word about Chaz people jump all over you. He was fantastic and very important to bringing umass back. He just wasn't good for the team that last half of the season.

UMassFan99
Senior

Post by UMassFan99 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 am

^Thanks for clarifying. . .for a second there I thought you meant Berger. LOL.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 am

TheInsider wrote:Sorry your too stupid to figure it out. Any time someone says a bad word about Chaz people jump all over you. He was fantastic and very important to bringing umass back. He just wasn't good for the team that last half of the season.
Who said I couldn't figure it out?
Of course I know you were talking about Chaz.
Why couldn't you just say Chaz instead of behind the 'a particular player' crap comment?
As I said and your reply makes my point it was cowardly. You were afraid people would 'jump all over you'.
"This is my dream job''

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:16 am

I think he was being intentionally vague because everyone knew the answer.. It would be like if he said a certain coach couldn't really dictate the offense anymore..

And for the record, I agree with this premise wholeheartedly and had been expressing it towards the end of the season and through both tournaments. This team lost all semblance of offense and it became a high pick-and-roll was the only offensive set.

Chaz was a generational player that will (rightfully so) have his number retired. We don't take the steps we've taken that have led to the progress we will see over the next couple of years without him. He put UMass back on the map but I think he got too big (IRONY) for this team to suceed.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:35 am

MJatUM wrote:I think he was being intentionally vague because everyone knew the answer.. It would be like if he said a certain coach couldn't really dictate the offense anymore..

And for the record, I agree with this premise wholeheartedly and had been expressing it towards the end of the season and through both tournaments. This team lost all semblance of offense and it became a high pick-and-roll was the only offensive set.
Insider stated exactly why he didn't name the player.
"Any time someone says a bad word about Chaz people jump all over you" He was intentionally vague because he didn't want get jumped on.

Even though most people would know who he meant not everyone would especially visitors to the site. When you post a comment about 'particular player' you are putting all the players under suspicion.

As far the comment. It is quite possible DK couldn't dictate the offense but it also possible that DK thought by giving Chaz free rein he was giving UMASS the best chance to win. Hopefully the offense will have more structure next season.
"This is my dream job''

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 am

Honestly who gives a shit how I said it.. These types of arguments are stupid. What's important that losing what Chaz became the 2nd half of the year is addition by subtraction.