KAEO LuWane Pipkins (PG-2015)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO LuWane Pipkins (PG-2015)

Post by MJatUM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Really? I don't doubt he still has friends on campus that he might have been visiting.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I have to admit that I was surprised that he was there. That said, showing up isn't proof of anything other than the was there.

I couldn't really see him all that well, but I think he was wearing a white/beige hoodie. If I have the right guy, he spent a lot of time with a group of people sitting on the northeast side of the court....the few rows on the floor up against the boards of the hockey rink.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Well, at least we know he has some Fucks left go give about UMass, one way or another!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:28 pm

He was here for three years. I would expect that he has at least a few fond memories of his time, like going berserk against LaSalle or hitting that half court buzzer beater against Dayton. He acted like an immature jerk on his way out, but time heals all wounds. Maybe he's grown a little fonder of the ol' state U now that he's gone and there's nothing left to be bitter about.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:48 am

He was actually at UMass for four years, he redshirted his first year and transferred as a grad student for his last year of eligibility. During the VCU game he sat in front of us behind the UMass bench and it didn't appear he was paying close attention to the game. He spent time talking to other people in the stands and was in and out of his seat often. When the game was in the final seconds and Umass had the game in hand McCall turned and said something to Pipkins and they had a quick interaction from 10 feet apart. McCall laughed at whatever Pipkins said back to him. When the game ended as we were leaving I saw West and Keon hug Pipkins but no idea if there was any other interactions with other players/staff beyond that because we had already left.
Last edited by fenway617 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 am

I predict Providence wins the Big East tourney and steals a NCAA bid.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Most bracketologists already have PC firmly in the field. They’ve beat a lot of good teams in conference play. Pip was public enemy number 1 for the PC fan base for most of the year, and now he’s their best friend. Based on his Twitter he isn’t forgetting the way they treated him before his play turned around.

Fandom can get ugly, and it’s gotta be tough for the players to not take it personal. Based on UMass Twitter, it seems like we have some of the same problems right now. Hopefully our New Jersey “fan” can STFU and forget this team exists.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:58 pm

fenway617 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:48 am He was actually at UMass for four years, he redshirted his first year and transferred as a grad student for his last year of eligibility ... When the game ended as we were leaving I saw West and Keon hug Pipkins but no idea if there was any other interactions with other players/staff beyond that because we had already left.
Good call, I forgot about the redshirt year. I also forgot he played with Keon, West, and Djery in addition to Carl. He definitely has some relationships and enough time here to warrant his coming back and spending some time with those dudes.

I'll be rooting for Providence to do well this March. I like Ed Cooley a lot and Providence is probably the best regional basketball school that isn't afraid to schedule us on a semi-regular basis, unlike UConn and BC.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:43 pm

[/quote]

Good call, I forgot about the redshirt year. I also forgot he played with Keon, West, and Djery in addition to Carl. He definitely has some relationships and enough time here to warrant his coming back and spending some time with those dudes.

I'll be rooting for Providence to do well this March. I like Ed Cooley a lot and Providence is probably the best regional basketball school that isn't afraid to schedule us on a semi-regular basis, unlike UConn and BC.
[/quote]

PC will not be scheduling UMass anytime soon, Big East going to 20 games, UMass is a RPI or NET loser for a game they might lose. PC would rather schedule Bryant and CCSU of the world where they are not losing that game.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 pm

^ Hopefully not for long. The reason they continue to schedule URI every year is that it is a) a natural rival that sells out both buildings each year and b) it is either a good win or not a bad loss. If UMass rises to where most of us hope they are going we can cover both A&B (although we will never match the level of rivalry between PC and URI).

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:35 pm

MJatUM wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 pm ^ Hopefully not for long. The reason they continue to schedule URI every year is that it is a) a natural rival that sells out both buildings each year and b) it is either a good win or not a bad loss. If UMass rises to where most of us hope they are going we can cover both A&B (although we will never match the level of rivalry between PC and URI).
We should be playing UConn and/or BC every year... not (necessarily) PC!

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:45 pm

^ Agreed. BC is to us what PC is to URI. UConn makes all the sense in the world too. Again, if you take out the excuse of these schools trying to avoid a "bad loss" on the resume then there is no leg left to stand on for teams to keep refusing us.

I do find that argument rich when BC has a worse RPI than we do. UCONN is about 60 points higher than we are so I guess they have a case, although they aren't anywhere near the bubble so it loses weight there as well.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Personally, I think we should be playing all 3 annually. That said UConn more so. Their campus is closer to Amherst and the history is there as well. It's very easy for fans of both schools to attend both home and away games. This past weekend's hockey games are a great example of that. Other than basketball and men's lacrosse I think the two play each other in everything else.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving