KAEO LuWane Pipkins (PG-2015)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
umass2001
Sophomore

Re: KAEO LuWane Pipkins (PG-2015)

Post by umass2001 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 pm Perhaps UMass2001 and UMass87 are the same Russion trollbot.
Nope as I have said before I think Pipkins will start at PG next year and am excited about that. Very much in the boat of him being a good PG.

It doesn't make you cool to just run around online forums calling people trolls for disagreeing with you. That approach didn't work for Hilary, what makes you think your mileage would vary.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 pm Perhaps UMass2001 and UMass87 are the same Russion trollbot.
Perhaps you're just a tool.

"not acceptable" probably is a hyperbolic but this is the weakest A10 in recent memory (with essentially two teams, URI and SBU, in the top third of D1 college basketball) so Pip my well look good compared to them but they are not great (with the exception of Jaylen Adams, who has had quite a few pretty bad games, and Dowtin). So, why are the A10 teams so weak this year? Is it because they all have good D1 point guards? For the most part, success in D1 ball requires good point guard play. You may think leading a team to the middle third of D1 basketball is "acceptable" for UMass basketball. I don't (although I have zero problem with it this year - I think they've overachieved). The fact is that Pip is playing pg because MM needs him to play not because it's where he would be playing if UMass had a point guard.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm

NilesGold wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm ^ Let's stick to the facts. You didn't say Pipkins isn't a great point guard, or even that he isn't a good point guard, you said Pipkins "simply is not an acceptable D1 point guard today", which is such a preposterous statement to make.

As I said before, Pipkins' astronomically high usage rate (higher than Chaz's usage rate ever was) is going to inflate his TO PG numbers. But, Pipkins' TO% is better than all of these A10 starting PGs:
Jaylen Adams
Johnny Williams
Chartouny
Livingston
Stukes
Crutcher
CJ Anderson

And it's just barely above Gudmundsson, Powell & Gilyard.

The only starting A10 PG's with a meaningfully lower TO% than Pipkins are Dowtin, Newkirk and Castro... but yeah, keep telling people Pipkins isn't a capable D1 point guard.

Stats and usage rates etc won’t make him a pg no matter what the numbers say...he just is not a pg, in private he will say it and the staff will say it. He has been forced to be the primary ball handler and has done an ok job but being a pg is a mindset. He could average 10 assists a game and that wouldn’t make him a pg...if you have the ball as the primary ball handler you are going to get assists. Chaz comes to mind with that but Chaz looked for his opportunities first and then the team. He didn’t make others better.
Here is just one example of Pip not being a pg: every time he has the ball and he’s coming down on a semi-break (3 on 2, 4 on 3) and Pierre runs to the corner Pip never drives it right at the guy who is between him and CP to make him come to him so he can get CP that open 3 that he’s great at.
A second example is he doesn’t recognize mismatches or hot hands and make sure they get the ball.
I am a big Pip fan and he has done really well being coachable this year which has allowed us to be over .500 at this point in the year.
Last thing is his defense, he plays 2 guards,even if they are bigger, way better than he plays pgs and that has a lot to do with the fact he doesn’t think like they do.

He will not be playing pg next year...both Clergot and Wood are ready to play.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

^ And that's fine, I have no problem with that assessment, Pipkins doesn't do all of the things you ideally want your PG to do. And yet, he's still better at being a PG than a lot of dudes in D1 who are PGs because he makes up for it by being really good in other areas.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm He will not be playing pg next year...both Clergot and Wood are ready to play.
Thanks, that answers the question I was asking. So Clergeot is more a pure point guard?

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 am

TheOFFSeason wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:34 pm ... in private he will say it and the staff will say it. He has been forced to be the primary ball handler ...
And this says a lot about who he is and who MM is and all of it good. I think the same is true of CJ. Both have them are doing yeomen's work.

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am

This team is 9-8 because of Pipkins. His improvement and play has been nothing short of outstanding. This team is exceeding expectations. If you replace Pipkins with any other A10 Pg I am not sure we are 9-8. Sure he turns it over too much and isnt prototypical pg but what A10 PGs replace him and get us to 9-8? Maybe Adams, Livingston, idk. But I’m not trading Pipkins. I agree he will move off the ball next year with Keon and wood but not a D1 pg lol, who cares the kid is ballin.

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 am

Who gives a shit if Pip Is or is not a "point guard". He is by far the best player on this team, he just broke the school's scoring record and the team is over-achieving. MM, like many coaches is moving towards inter-changeable parts and away from traditional positions anyway. Pip's a helluva good basketball player and at this rate is well on his way to becoming one of the all-time UMass greats.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 am

I hope we are moving more towards interchangeable parts. That was my original point in this. I want to see how Pip dies when he is playing off the ball and has a teammate that can get him the ball.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 am

JBUMass2011 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am I agree he will move off the ball next year with Keon and wood but not a D1 pg lol, who cares the kid is ballin.
I bet he's still going to have the ball in his hands quite a bit. He's become very good at creating and finishing his own shot.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:37 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 am I hope we are moving more towards interchangeable parts. That was my original point in this. I want to see how Pip dies when he is playing off the ball and has a teammate that can get him the ball.
oops does not dies......

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:55 am

Not Trigger wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 am Who gives a shit if Pip Is or is not a "point guard". He is by far the best player on this team, he just broke the school's scoring record and the team is over-achieving. MM, like many coaches is moving towards inter-changeable parts and away from traditional positions anyway. Pip's a helluva good basketball player and at this rate is well on his way to becoming one of the all-time UMass greats.
EXACTLY!!!!!! Leave the guy alone and just be glad he is playing so well this year.

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

I haven't been able to go to many games at the Mullins Center this season, but I did attend the Providence and LaSalle games. Pipkins!! Holy Shit, how did he get so good???!! The kid is worth the price of price of admission. I can't believe how well he's shooting it. Last season when he pulled up for a jumper, I'd mumble, "No, no. No!" This season, I'm yelling, "yes, Yes, YES!" :D Hey, hey hey, can Pipkins make the all A10 team!?! First one since Chaz?!?! :D

I'm no eldonabe, but it seems to me that our coach is making changes at halftime. Seems to me we are, more often then not, "winning" the second half. And, how come the teams is hitting its free throw this season? Coaching?

Sigh, can't go to today's St. Joseph's game either. Go UMass!!!
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:07 pm

It is on NBCSN so just record it and watch it later.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am

LS71 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 pm I say it because I was at the game and I know what I saw.

Ok, Cady.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades