Kaeo: Rashaan holloway

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Kaeo: Rashaan holloway

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:39 pm

NilesGold wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:25 pm I have no inside info on this, I don't know what will happen with Holloway in terms of graduating/eligibility, but I get the feeling that regardless of how it shakes out he'll never play for UMass again.

That's entirely possible. Considering his presence during the suspension, and the fact that he is still working with the coaching staff, I'd say that both sides are working to ensure he does play for UMass again. Whether that happens or not, we'll have to wait and see.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm

On the other hand, there's the recruiting of a third scholarship player for 2018 when we only know of two available scholarships.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

^ Really zero when you consider the other 2 have signed NLI's

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:26 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:39 pm
NilesGold wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:25 pm I have no inside info on this, I don't know what will happen with Holloway in terms of graduating/eligibility, but I get the feeling that regardless of how it shakes out he'll never play for UMass again.

That's entirely possible. Considering his presence during the suspension, and the fact that he is still working with the coaching staff, I'd say that both sides are working to ensure he does play for UMass again. Whether that happens or not, we'll have to wait and see.
Again, just speculating here, but consider the possibility that the staff cares about Holloway and wants the best for him. As a member of the team they're still going to work with him and help him as best they can. They also would want him to graduate on time to prevent a negative mark on the program's APR. That does not necessarily mean they want him back next year.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 pm

All possible.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Would be a nice story and be a great look for all involved if he got his academics in order, got into great shape, and came back for a killer senior year. Win/win for everyone
Time to Win

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:15 pm

^ +1 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm

MJatUM wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm ^ Really zero when you consider the other 2 have signed NLI's
True
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm

NilesGold wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:45 pm ^ I don't think that's what 78 meant.
Exactly. Was referring to him pushing them too hard on the court and in practices moving forward and driving them over the edge. We are down to 8 guys, 7 on scholarship.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Berkman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:11 pm Are there not academic advisors that are supposed to keep track of the players grades? Did someone drop the ball?
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

For me, this is really disappointing and somewhat surprising. RH seems like a really good person, who cares about the team. He seemed to buy into Coach McCall right away. He's always been supportive of his teams on the floor and bench (during the suspension and prior). He definitely seems to care, but maybe has yet to learn the work ethic to be successful...on and off the court. Hopefully this is rock bottom and wakes him up. Ideally, I'd love for him to graduate and either transfer to another school where he'd be a better fit or go pro with a degree to fall back on. RH does not look to be the type of player to fit what MM wants to do next season once he has a full roster.
Hire Matt McCall!

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Victor Cruz had to overcome significant academic issues. I hope RH works hard and succeeds. I’d love to see him play next year and graduate.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Floyd wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm Would be a nice story and be a great look for all involved if he got his academics in order, got into great shape, and came back for a killer senior year. Win/win for everyone
I vote for this.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:59 pm
R&G wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 pm I am not an expert by any means, but I think RH needs to graduate this year to be able to play any more college basketball - either here or elsewhere.
Not at all the case. All Div 1 basketball players get five years to use their four years of eligibility. Holloway has been here four years and used three years of eligibility.
He was a partial qualifier. I was under the impression that he needed to stay on graduation track and graduate by the end of his fourth year to earn back the fifth year to play. Partial qualifiers have more hoops to jump through.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:47 pm

CarriageEstates22 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm
Berkman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:11 pm Are there not academic advisors that are supposed to keep track of the players grades? Did someone drop the ball?
Yes Holloway dropped the ball.
+1. CarriageEstates and Refuse2Lose said it best. C'mon Berkman, I don't mean to call you out, but you know the drill if you were ever a college student. You have to be accountable for your own coursework. These guys have a great academic support staff -- I went to school with Matt Komer and he is obviously devoted to UMass since I don't think he's left in over 20 years -- but it's on the players to progress in their studies. And have we not discussed that these are generally MINIMUM requirements that, let's face it, are a total joke to the average student? You're talking in the range of a 1.9 or 2.0 average with courses you can hand-pick and academic support around the clock. A C-minus average in general should not be very hard to maintain after a couple years at the university, even if you went to a crummy high school and were a non-qualifier.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 am

I, and we all, my guess, have NO IDEA about Holloway's academic interests, nor drive. It would seem that he is achieving around the minimum, perhaps below, to graduate. Too bad. I am not especially sympathetic, as he has extraordinary support that 99.9+% of UM students do not have access to.

UMASS has a 'good to great' reputation to stick with kids to finish their degree, and let them use their athletic scholarship to boot, when they could just be let go, and fend for themselves to finance the 'rest of the way'. Will that be the case here?

I hope that Holloway finds the path toward graduation, and becomes realistic that his future needs a detailed plan beyond playing on the court.

I wish him well, and hope that he finds the internal motivation to finish strong academically.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...