Spring signings

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kustodial
Sophomore

Spring signings

Post by Kustodial » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:53 pm

I have two questions?

When does the spring signing period end? And do we have 3 or 4 scholarships for this year. I know we have 3 guys committed, but I'm just unsure if we still have one left and who are possiblities?

Go Umass!

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:45 am

...from National-Letter.org.

-Basketball (Late Period)-

:arrow: April 16th, 2003 to May 15th, 2003

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:01 am

Was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. When a player comes in as a partial qualifier and has to sit out a year, but can earn back his 4th year of playing eligibility if they graduate in 4 yrs., do they get 5 years of scholarship?

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:00 pm

I believe its five to play four for everyone, even if you are studying for a masters, as in Ty Weeks.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:46 pm

So you actually get everything paid for, for 5 years per the scholarship?

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:10 pm

It's not automatic. The scholarships are given one year at a time. They do not have to give a fifth year kid a scholarship if they are not so inclined.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:07 pm

Interesting, I didn't actually know that scholarships are year to year. I thought once a school offered you a scholarship, you had it until you decided to leave or was kicked off the team. How common a practice is it for a school to not renew a kids scholarship? Makes me wonder if someone like Kyle Wilson would be told that his wouldn't be renewed if the coaching staff thought they had better players coming in, and he wouldn't get much time. In those instances, I don't think a kid should have to sit out a year if they transfered to a school in the same division. Anyone know if there are any instances where this happened at UMass, or if there are any rules that allow a kid to play if transfering because his wasn't renewed?

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:43 pm

I was under the same opinion as you were re. the legth of the grants. They used to be for four years, but about 30 years ago the coaches pushed for and got the change. I'm pretty sure it was 1973. I only found it out this year. Gives you an idea how well I keep up.

class of 62-64
Freshman

Post by class of 62-64 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:59 am

I don't know how common it is, but its done. Steve Fisher, after his first year at San Diego State, took a look at his roster and found about half were Division II players at best. Net result - he basically ran 5 guys off by telling them their scholarships wouldn't be renewed.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:29 pm

OK...if I'm counting right the list below contains the names of scholarship players of the 2003-2004 UMass team. Paco is a walk-on.

1. Anthony Anderson
2. Brennan Martin
3. Jeff Viggiano
4. Ray Freeman
5. Stephen Briggs
6. Gabe Lee
7. Alasane Kouyate
8. Marcus Cox
9. Artie Bowers
10. Lawrence Carrier
11. Maurice Maxwell - Has his LOI been received?

If my understanding is correct, a team may have up to 13 scholarship players. If that's true, does that mean that there are still 2 scholarships available? :?:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

whiterhino42
Junior

I think so but we'll leave em

Post by whiterhino42 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:29 am

I think we do still have 2 left but I think we are going to leave them for next season. Remember, no one graduates this season so we want to keep it open for recruits for next season. You want to keep it balanced. Besides we have some really great recruits for this season and what is left now is probably bottom of the barrell. As it is I think Lap did an excellent job landing Maxwell & Carrier last minute like he did, Artie of course he locked up this past Fall. Plus Freeman & Briggs will be Sophomores but havn't played yet and will probably earn back a year of eligibility. So we need those other 2 slots for next years class so we still have someone on the team when that class graduates!

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Re: I think so but we'll leave em

Post by Kosty » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:28 am

whiterhino42 wrote:Remember, no one graduates this season so we want to keep it open for recruits for next season.
You know what, I honestly didn't realize that. For some reason I thought we were losing at least Marcus at the end of next season. When was the last time we didn't lose anyone to graduation after a season?

NJFan
Freshman

Marcus?

Post by NJFan » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:57 am

I'm pretty sure we are losing Marcus, didn't he play 2 seasons at UConn? And next year at UMass will be his second.

MrMiagi

Re: Marcus?

Post by MrMiagi » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:25 am

He's done next year.

DEM
Senior

Re: I think so but we'll leave em

Post by DEM » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:07 pm

whiterhino42 wrote:I think we do still have 2 left but I think we are going to leave them for next season.
I think if we can sign Mike Rudoy then we will, he sounds like he'd be a worthwhile signing (actually sounds kind of similar to Viggiano in many ways). Also, the SBU commitments are now in question...if Dan Cage becomes available, we should go after him, he's very good and would be a good player the motion offense(Big 6-6 and can play the pt). The last ship will probably be left open so we can sign at least two players next yr.