KAEO Chris Baldwin

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO Chris Baldwin

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:^ if true, hopefully it was with teammates that are now gone.

Then I guess one can only hope that Jarreau goes to Uconn, they get a H-H with Umass; and Baldwin throws him and one of DJ's terrible long stride drives to the hoop into the 3rd row :D
In Matt McCall I trust!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed May 17, 2017 9:06 am

minutefanjsf wrote:He was inconsistent both shooting and dishing like a Freshman usually is. He was the only one who showed any signs of high post play. I don't know what you were watching. Like his inconsistent shot, which includes a mid range jumper, he made some and missed some passes out of the high post. He was the only big that ever got there to make plays. He made some great plays when out there with RH on occasion and also made some dumb plays. You might also remember he didn't play a ton of minutes, so using game averages is at best a flawed metric.
I think Baldwin will be good, I have high hopes for him. But until he comes in and starts playing better and being more productive than he was in 2016-17, he hasn't really done shit yet.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 am

^
I think he represented himself pretty well for a Freshman playing in an unstructured team environment - especially with a bunch of other new guys under the same "play by the seat of your pants" system.
In Matt McCall I trust!

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am

Yeah, we get it, Niles, you think Baldwin is constipated. :D

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 17, 2017 9:47 am

Sounds to me like someone thinks Baldwin was "seriously damaged" by the prior coaching staff.... :roll:
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Wed May 17, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed May 17, 2017 10:25 am

FIRE CHRIS BALDWIN!

Dude was being recruited by Pittsburgh, VCU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, DePaul, WVU, Creighton and Temple when Kellogg got him to stay in MA and come to UMass. His freshman year the team and coaching staff had an exceptionally shitty season. Now, hard core UMass fans don't believe he's done shit so, fuck it, who needs a player like him around the Mullins. See ya! :roll:

I don't know if Baldwin or anyone close to him reads the in depth analysis posted daily on these pages but if they do they're more than likely counseling him to maybe look around and take advantage of NOT playing in front of these same rabid fans who have proven that they will turn on you without hesitation.

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 am

^
If they read this board regularly they know to discount an opinion from Niles. Chris played well last year. In an actual system, with an actual basketball coach, he will play even better!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed May 17, 2017 11:10 am

^ some of you seem to have trouble understanding the difference between production and potential.

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Wed May 17, 2017 11:21 am

Swampy wrote:Now, hard core UMass fans don't believe he's done shit
I count one who believes this.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Swampy wrote:FIRE CHRIS BALDWIN!

Dude was being recruited by Pittsburgh, VCU, Cincinnati, Colorado State, DePaul, WVU, Creighton and Temple when Kellogg got him to stay in MA and come to UMass. His freshman year the team and coaching staff had an exceptionally shitty season. Now, hard core UMass fans don't believe he's done shit so, fuck it, who needs a player like him around the Mullins. See ya! :roll:

I don't know if Baldwin or anyone close to him reads the in depth analysis posted daily on these pages but if they do they're more than likely counseling him to maybe look around and take advantage of NOT playing in front of these same rabid fans who have proven that they will turn on you without hesitation.
If anyone is counseling him to reassess college decisions based on one fans take on an anonymous message board then what he needs are new counselors. Hopefully he gets better advice than that.

My take: what I saw from Chris last year I really liked that he always seemed to play hard and showed the potential to step out and knock down 12-15 footers if he works hard on it. I think he could thrive with MM. No idea about his leadership, but you don't need 13 leaders to make a basketball team.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 17, 2017 1:23 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: I count one who believes this.

Two... Niles and iwearglovesndhat both said it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Stats never tell the whole story. No stats for what's in your sack. I love his edge, he's shown an ability to rebound the ball, has a nice mid range shot. It's the coach's job to harness all those skills and blend them into what the team's needs are, and DK didn't do it so we'll see what MM can do. These guys are young kids and need a coach to develop their skills to make their abilities better. I'm betting that we'll notice a big change in "UMASS Basketball" next season
The E sho, best show in town

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 pm

What impressed me most about Baldwin was his toughness. Only a freshman but he didn't back down to anyone, a real junkyard dog on the court. He knows where to go on the court to free himself for an open shot, I hope he has been working on his mid range jumper during the offseason. The more consistent it gets, that would be a game changer for him.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
Swampy wrote:Now, hard core UMass fans don't believe he's done shit
I count one who believes this.
Slow day picking nits in the office today?

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Wed May 17, 2017 4:52 pm

it seems Coach McCall has made it clear that he will be taking the team out of their comfort zone next year, and Chris Baldwin has chosen to step up and stay a UMass Minuteman. That's what I like about him.