Conference realignment

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! wrote:I'd don't understand why UConn wouldn't try to join the Big East and then go football only in the MAC.
I've said this before and I'll repeat it.......look at the new Big East......what do you have there? You have 7 PRIVATE CATHOLIC universities.......is UConn private? Are they Catholic? Nope and nope......there will NEVER be a school that isn't private and Catholic that will be allowed to join the new Big East.....EVER......it's just not going to happen.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Not to be a contrarian but Butler was founded as a Christian but decidedly not Catholic University.

Big10Land
Sophomore

Post by Big10Land » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 pm

The new Big East is built to be stable for a long time: like institutions, urban, and no football. That is why VCU doesn't fit and UConn wasn't invited. They are done with the conference changing non-sense.
Oh my god, they love state schools out here.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 pm

UMass87 wrote:I am sort of astounded that anyone would not support UMass because UMass went to the MAC. As much as I think moving all sports to the MAC would be a financial mistake (and thus a threat to football's very existence), if the MAC forces a choice there really is no choice.
(not to make this football vs basketball)

But as a diehard basketball fan I would rather see football drop back down to the lower conference again than to see basketball have to play in a conference like the MAC

Big10Land
Sophomore

Post by Big10Land » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 pm

But then you had to elevate your football team to potentially play in a better league (AAC). The Big East isn't taking us. The A10 is still a better conference than the MAC but we had a card to play and not be a bystander.
Oh my god, they love state schools out here.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 am

Big10Land wrote:The new Big East is built to be stable for a long time: like institutions, urban, and no football. That is why VCU doesn't fit and UConn wasn't invited. They are done with the conference changing non-sense.

The only criteria that VCU doesn't fit is the "like institutions"... they are urban and they don't have football. They'd fit well in the basketball Big East.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 am

^
What is the significance of them all being urban? Does that really matter, or is it just a coincidence? I would think the only reason that might be relevant is that it usually indicates a better media market and potentially larger fan base. But if a school wasn't urban, but still operated in a strong media market and had a large fan base, would the Big East really care if it was or wasn't urban?

Hasn't there been grumblings that VCU might start a FCS or FBS football team? I believe football is currently a club sport there.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 am

^

No idea on the football part Niles.

I think the urban part is more coincidence than anything else
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DKera
Junior

Post by DKera » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:19 am

NilesGold wrote: Hasn't there been grumblings that VCU might start a FCS or FBS football team? I believe football is currently a club sport there.
VCU AD says they are exploring football for the "far future" (10 + years)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/col ... f6878.html

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 am

uz2b-len wrote:Because it wouldn't look good. That's what counts at UCon.
Uconn like to wear clothing from Abercombie not Old Navy....

Big_John_Studd
Junior

Post by Big_John_Studd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:56 am

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! wrote:We'd surely take Temple back too, but I honestly don't think the MAC would be too interested in Cincinnati. We don't need another Ohio school.
Cincinnati has a better football pedigree than any team in the current MAC though.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:09 am

Big10Land wrote:But then you had to elevate your football team to potentially play in a better league (AAC). The Big East isn't taking us. The A10 is still a better conference than the MAC but we had a card to play and not be a bystander.
EXACTLY THE POINT! How long will something like that honestly and realistically take? Short of finding the Calapari of Football, this could take decades? Umass had their chance and the admin fucked it up because they thought the basketball gravy train would last forever.....

The Northeast in general is not a hotbed of football for the schools in this location or the players comming from it...

Uconn and BC are the only BCS-Worthy schools in New England right now and nobody wants Uconn (If I remember correctly they even played on New Year's day last year?). I would be willing to bet that behind closed doors the ACC would not mind sending BC packing either as that has not materialized as they hoped it would - although I amend that thought with the addition of Syracuse as additional nothern presence....

As I tried to state many pages ago in this same thread... Umass has to catch these two before they can even think about being attractive enough to play in the Big 10 or ACC and if Uconn gets into the Big 10 - all bets are off, because BC and UConn will object to Umass being included in either scenario... so now what? That leaves us with the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10?

Sometimes when you miss a cab, catching the next one isn't going to matter because you are already too late.....

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:22 am

DKERA wrote:
NilesGold wrote: Hasn't there been grumblings that VCU might start a FCS or FBS football team? I believe football is currently a club sport there.
VCU AD says they are exploring football for the "far future" (10 + years)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/col ... f6878.html
My guess is the Big East won't touch any school with a football program or football aspirations of any kind, either now, or in the far future, so VCU is out unless they change their tune.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am

^About 15 years too late. I wish football well, I just do not see how they can, or will be successful.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 am

^

I think winning would make them successful. That's usually the idea. Takes more than 1 year to produce a winning team after a move from the FCS. This is at least a 6 year project to get a team above .500.

It takes time people. This stuff doesn't happen over night. Give the recruiters a few years to do their job. Already off to a good start with this years class.