Conference realignment

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 17, 2013 8:25 am

^

You and I don't disagree, nale.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am

nale wrote:This is now a football thread on a basketball forum with little talk of how MAC football would effect or realates to UMASS hoops.

Off-season on UMASSHOOPS :)
OK How's this.... MAC basketball is inferior to the A-10 and this "sweet" 4 game noose around the neck of Umass basketball is killing their RPI and the AD continues to do a poor job backfilling better games to offset this.

In the grand scheme of things I am OK with the MAC games. You need these games on your schedule, this just pigeon-holes them into which teams fill those slots..... It's better teh Savahanna State or Towson St -- Right?

I don't care what the Commissioner says, Umass needs to sell 2 for 1 deals so they can get a quality opponent or two on their home floor once in a while - right now they are relying too much on tournament fields for their "Quality Opponents" register. I am not suggesting they load up 4 or 5 "sacraficial lamb" games every year, but try to get a 2 for 1 with a Michigan State calibur team, then try to get a couple more lower tier BCS schools that look good to the eye test. You pull off a win at somwhere like Seton Hall or Mississippi State in exchange for a home win versus Elon and you have done wonders for your image with little to no RPI difference. In the mean time you may get slaughtered in your one marquis game, but do it early in the year so it can be a teaching moment - or better still they hang with or upset that big opponent and your whole season changes in one night.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Fri May 17, 2013 9:33 am

eldonabe wrote:
OK How's this.... MAC basketball is inferior to the A-10 and this "sweet" 4 game noose around the neck of Umass basketball is killing their RPI and the AD continues to do a poor job backfilling better games to offset this.
I don't care what the Commissioner says, Umass needs to sell 2 for 1 deals so they can get a quality opponent or two on their home floor once in a while - .
I agree UMASS should have at least one high quality OOC game at the Mullins every season. Nice for season ticket holders and good for getting other basketball fans into the building.
Last edited by nale on Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"This is my dream job''

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am

James Flint's last OOC schedule consisted of Marquette, Oregon, Providence, Ohio State, uCon, BC and UNC. It got him a 2-9 record and 4K fannies at the Mullins for their blowout of GW to begin the conference schedule. That team went 11-5 in conference, made the finals of the tourney and got him a one way ticket to Drexel.

"Just Win Baby!"

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

^
At that time only Providence was a middle to lower tier power conference school - I did not say to schedule a gauntlet of 6 or 7 of those games, just get one or two of them, then focus on a couple more BCS middlers.

I though I was pretty clear originally....

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 am

eldonabe wrote: OK How's this.... MAC basketball is inferior to the A-10 and this "sweet" 4 game noose around the neck of Umass basketball is killing their RPI and the AD continues to do a poor job backfilling better games to offset this.
Yep. Those four games really screwed the basketball team and have prevented the team for making the tournament these past 15 years. Wait... what?

EDIT: Those four games also really screwed Temple over these last six season when the Owls made the NCAAs each time. It's all football's fault the basketball team can't make a tournament. :roll:
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 am

^
No, lets read the whole post again dingdong..., most good schools play plenty of lower tier schools (RPI drainers) in their Non-con schedule. In the case of Umass, they now have 3 or 4 handed to them without any choice in the matter - in theory, the cupcakes have been pre-cooked so to speak.

If Umass joins as an all sport member, the basktball program will downgrade from a mid major middler who appears to be risoing now, to a perennial 125 - 200 ranked team - that will make for some "fun times" at the Bill with 1,250 of my closest friends every night....

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am

I don't think the four MAC teams need to be that big of a deal. As pointed out above, we will play four crappy teams in the OOC every year. We just have less choice over who they are this way, and I'm not sure how much that matters. And once in a while we'll play a MAC team that is decent. The main point, as also pointed out above, is getting plenty of games against rpi top 100 teams include a few big names that will attract attention.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:14 pm

jjmc85 wrote:
eldonabe wrote: OK How's this.... MAC basketball is inferior to the A-10 and this "sweet" 4 game noose around the neck of Umass basketball is killing their RPI and the AD continues to do a poor job backfilling better games to offset this.
Yep. Those four games really screwed the basketball team and have prevented the team for making the tournament these past 15 years. Wait... what?

EDIT: Those four games also really screwed Temple over these last six season when the Owls made the NCAAs each time. It's all football's fault the basketball team can't make a tournament. :roll:
Going by Kenpom, Temple's NCSOS has been in the top 30 in 3 of the last 4 years. Umass hasn't been in the top 100. Those games didn't screw Temple because they filled the rest of their schedule with quality opponents.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Fri May 17, 2013 12:42 pm

jjmc85 wrote:

Very weak response jjmac. :roll:
First. Eldonbabe didn't say anything about the MAC preventing UMASS from going to the tournament.
Second. What he said is true. Those four games hurt our RPI.
Third. He lays the blame not on football or the MAC games but on AD doing a poor job scheduling better games to offset the four MAC game like Temple did.

So totally off the mark. Very lame jjmac.
"This is my dream job''

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Swampy wrote:James Flint's last OOC schedule consisted of Marquette, Oregon, Providence, Ohio State, uCon, BC and UNC. It got him a 2-9 record and 4K fannies at the Mullins for their blowout of GW to begin the conference schedule. That team went 11-5 in conference, made the finals of the tourney and got him a one way ticket to Drexel.

"Just Win Baby!"
The Final Four season non-conference gauntlet consisted of Kentucky, Maryland, Florida, Wake Forest, BC, Georgia Tech, NC State, Syracuse and Memphis. How many of those teams was UMass able to get to come to the Mullins Center when it was a top 5-10 program?

Any team, any time, any place (except Amherst, Mass., for the most part).
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm

BCS-level, non-New England non-conference opponents that have played at the Mullins Center since it opened

2012-13: Miami
2010-11: Seton Hall
2008-09: Vanderbilt
2006-07: Miami
2003-04: Tennessee
2002-03: NC State
2001-02: Ohio State
1999-2000: Villanova, Texas
1995-96: Wake Forest
1994-95: Pittsburgh
1993-94: Florida State

Sprinkle in games against BC, UConn and Providence, and UMass probably has averaged one a year since Mullins opened. In many cases, those were simply home-and-home agreements, so it is possible. But I think the pool of teams willing to do it is much smaller than you would like.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm

eldonabe wrote: I though I was pretty clear originally....

You were clear, but Swamy McSwamp Swamp will beat the Bruiser drum any change he gets!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm

nale wrote:
jjmc85 wrote:

Very weak response jjmac. :roll:
First. Eldonbabe didn't say anything about the MAC preventing UMASS from going to the tournament.
Second. What he said is true. Those four games hurt our RPI.
Third. He lays the blame not on football or the MAC games but on AD doing a poor job scheduling better games to offset the four MAC game like Temple did.

So totally off the mark. Very lame jjmac.
1) I had a high school English teacher who taught me to look beyond the obvious. What difference does it make if the RPI is hurt if UMass is making tournaments? The implication, in my opinion, is pretty clear.
2) What I said was true as well.
3) "MAC basketball is inferior to the A-10 and this 'sweet' 4 game noose around the neck of Umass basketball is killing their RPI" Yes, he goes on to say the AD needs to do a better job to "offset" this, but again, the implication is pretty clear.

BONUS: If you're going to insult my post, at least get my name right.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Were stuck with 4 (generally) very weak MAC teams. The key is to use the rest of the schedule to make up with the weak start by scheduling more challenging games. In my opinion we have been very week doing this in the past. With the A10 not to be as strong this year (lose Butler, Xavier, Temple) and the OOC games we lose (Miami, NC State, Tennessee, Providence) it is imperativre that we act aggressively with the balance of the OOC schedule if we want to have the opportunity and/or resume to qualify for an at large.