Time to Look Forward

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
lms
Freshman

Time to Look Forward

Post by lms » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:01 am

Let's declare a moratorium on the backward looking cheapshots and focus on the here and now. I'm happily surprised by the quality of the recent additions to the team. The current additions give us bigger, stronger, faster, better depth, shooting, and D,...Heart? well, that's too early to determine...Can the coach...coach?...again, time will tell. But I, for one, like the team that I see coming together on the floor for next season. I also believe the reported signing of Laurence Carrier, if true, guarantees additional improvement 2 yrs out.

I think we've completed a very unpallatable run, who gives a rat's ass as to why...bad things happen to good people, blah, blah, blah...get over it and take a look at the squad we'll be putting on the floor, next season. Is everyone so jaded and snake-bitten, so beat up and burned out that you can't generate a little bit of optimism over our recent victories?

This new version of UMass B-Ball sure looks to me as if it has allot of new talent and potential. I for one, am excited by our prospects. I just wish the rest of you would embrace a more positive attitude and not be afraid to risk a little enthusiasm and expectation.

Get it up!!!

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:52 am

I agree. As a recent Umass grad I have a strong connection to the team. My four years at the Zoo were great. Unfortunately the hoops team was nothing to be excited about. With a new coach, system, and a team that looks very talented on paper I am very optimistic and excited. Next season cannot come fast enough. Lappas' best players are yet to step on the floor and I expect a big turn around from this previous year. He is also putting together an exceptional recruiting class this year. He landed a stud in Bowers a bona fide scorer who hits the big shots. Maxwell a 6'5'' scorer who plays point to sf. Yes I said point at 6'5''. And a steal in Carrier. I don't care what injury he has had a previous top 10 recruit is good in my book.
I have stood by Lap and see what he is assembling. A more athletic, point scoring team, and rebound which we will hopefully see this year. He has not had the personell to fit his system and now that he has had a chance to get players that fit his mold, I like what I see. Give him another year or two and let's support him and the troops. Go Umass!

nale
Hall of Fame

Re: Time to Look Forward

Post by nale » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:54 am

lms wrote:Let's declare a moratorium on the backward looking cheapshots and focus on the here and now. ...... Is everyone so jaded and snake-bitten, so beat up and burned out that you can't generate a little bit of optimism over our recent victories?

This new version of UMass B-Ball sure looks to me as if it has allot of new talent and potential. I for one, am excited by our prospects. I just wish the rest of you would embrace a more positive attitude and not be afraid to risk a little enthusiasm and expectation.
!
Great idea Ims. Sorry it's just hard to do that right now, at least
for me. I am ususally very optimisic and hopefull and excited about the team and the new players every year.
I expect as we get close to the season I will regain my at least some of my normal enthusiasm. However I am a a little snaked-bitten, Not jaded however. For me Lasme leaving broke my spirit a little. He was one of myfavorite players. An exciting player with heart and potential who played though injurys. I just feel the team took a big step back when he left. I was very excited about a team with AA, and Lasme, Gabe and Jeff. I have been burned many times expecting to much from new recruits. So while I hope Briggs, Freeman and Bowers can be major contributors soon
I can't count on them until I see them play.
I am happy that someone can be or excited about next years team. The program needs fans like you.
What we have now is a solid to great PG and two young players
Gabe and Jeff who showed they could become very good players. After that is just hope "the new guys are good". Not enough to get me really enthusiastic.
As you said 'time will tell'. Since my great enthusiasm and high expections have been so wrong the last few years It hard to
get it back. After Mid-nite maddess I should return to my old self and hope for a nice run in the NCAA's :)

I do totally agree that the ' the backward looking cheapshots' have run their course. Talking about Bru or what shape the program was or was not in when Lappas took over has been done to death.

GO UMASS!
"This is my dream job''

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: Time to Look Forward

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:06 pm

lms wrote:Let's declare a moratorium on the backward looking cheapshots and focus on the here and now.
Can I get an Amen?!?!

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:11 pm

Amen!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:15 pm

Guys coming in look to be pretty good players, and I agree that everyone should try to forget about what already happened and look with a little more optimism to the future. The team needs to feel their fans are behind them no matter what, and this can only help the team attitude. Sounds like Freeman may provide the leadership we've been lacking, someone to set the tone & keep guys together. Would like to see a little more emphasis on defensive talents, not just offensive skills. Defense is what wins. To use an old quote "If you score, you MAY win, If they NEVER score, you will NEVER lose, defense wins championships." The Refuse to Lose teams were very good defensively, and to his credit Bruiser's teams played tough defensively. Can't expect to win just because you score alot, other teams may have more weapons. Have to be able to stop the other teams big guns.

GOODY
Sophomore

Post by GOODY » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:30 pm

Only good things for all players, coaches and fans!

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:54 pm

Floyd wrote:The team needs to feel their fans are behind them no matter what, and this can only help the team attitude.
Let's just hope they read messages like this and don't take a look around in the stands. :lol:

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:28 pm

People will show up if the team plays hard, is consistent, and starts winning. Believe me, this team starts improving, winning some games, and is exciting, the stands will fill up fast. I unfortunately attended UMass at a time when they were the worst Div. 1 program in the country (79-83). You were lucky to have a few hundred people at the games. But the talent started getting better, they started winning some games, and by the time players like Edwin Greene, Horace Neysmith, & Donald Russell were there a few years later, the Cage was packed & it was one of the toughest arenas (if you could call it that) for opposing teams to play in. And we were not even close to the program that it is now. College hoop fans are good fans, and all they want is something worth watching. We've been spoiled with a little success, but we'll get better, and the place will be hoppin again. Go UMass!!

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:11 pm

:) I wish the best for the team, the coaches, supporting staff and us the fans! Look forward to next year. Great post lsm.

Go UMass!!!

GOODY
Sophomore

Post by GOODY » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:16 pm

Keep the love flowing!

whiterhino42
Junior

Terrific

Post by whiterhino42 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:54 am

:D A moratorium on preaching the old days would sound great to me too. We are in a different position right now but I think we just finished our fall this past season and are about to begin a giant climb this season. I see the future and it looks bright (I gotta get some shades 8)

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:46 pm

Trying to make a point, not preaching the old days