KAEO Seth Berger

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
ibleedmaroon413
Sophomore

KAEO Seth Berger

Post by ibleedmaroon413 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 pm

umass has interest in small forward per espn.seth is ranked as the 44th best small foward in the country.from seattle washington

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... eth-berger

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... oast-recap

per espn:Seth Berger (Seattle/Ballard)
2013, WF/PF, 6-7, 210 pounds
Berger is a rangy 4/3 with very good length and solid athleticism. He has a very nice first step off the dribble and he has a knack of getting in the lane for the score. His pull-up game is solid and he is an astute passer. He needs to get stronger and continue to smoothen out his jump shot, but he’s a basketball player. Berger has no offers at this stage, but he states that he is receiving interest from Washington State, Gonzaga, Pepperdine, Drake, Rice and UMass.
“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”

outsidethebox008
Junior

Post by outsidethebox008 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:38 pm

"Five whose stocks are going to rise soon" http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=2104

"Berger has Massachusetts coming to see him the first day of the open period and he’s visiting there in September."

“I’m going to verbal as soon as I can,” Berger said. “I want to sign those papers in November.”

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:57 am

From the limited information that we have on the recruiting front, I'm a little disappointed that our standing with recruits doesn't seem to have improved a whole lot with our recent success, in particular with the class of 2013. We have at least 1 more scholarship to offer, but the likelihood of getting a top 100 recruit seems to be fading.

A recent article by Vatour indicated that DK has home visits scheduled with 3 forwards ( Seth Berger, Demetrius Dyson, Zach Coleman), none of which are particularly impressive to me.
http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/09/07/um ... l-schedule

Of course, DK is a whole lot better at determining talent than I am and I have faith in DK, but I'm still a little disappointed.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 am

Hard to know how good Seth is based on this little bit of info, but I trust in the coaches. But, he also sounds a lot like Clyde, who would be in his same year.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:28 am

^
Agreed. We need 2 or 3 successful years to get recruits to notice us, that's why this year is so important. Get well, Cady, Jesse and Sampson.
I'm putting my maroon colored glasses on and saying we have another 2 months until the season starts. That's a lot of rehab time.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32 am

^ I didn't expect us to get top 25 recruits, or multiple top 75 recruits, but I figured a top 100 wouldn't be asking for too much. That being said, at the end of the day their rating doesn't matter, it's how they play when they get here.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:00 pm

^ Yes, which actually reinforces my point. We seemed to be attracting more interest from top players out of HS several years ago than we do in the class of 2013. But again, it doesn't look all that promising for us with the class of 2013, but that could change.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Right, because there was a big buzz about DK having his own team. And then that wore off, as he floundered. Now he's got to get the buzz going again, which he will do with an NCAA appearance.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 pm

If he's great, he's Dana Dingle. If he's not so great, he's Matt Glass. That's what he sounds like based on the description. Personally, I kind of like it. I think we need some straight up basketball players. Guys who just know what to do and where to be. This team is a tremendous amount of athleticism so if we add a kid who's a crafty, can-do kid to be an X factor, that could be really great. Plus, kids with that pedigree are often able to play right away because they find ways to make themselves useful even if their physicality or strength isn't up to par when they first arrive on campus.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:58 pm

To be honest, the whole idea of UMass going after a forward in the class of 2013 is kind of a head-scratcher to me. We already have Santee who will for all intents and purposes be part of that class. In the 2013-2014 season we'll have Putney, Sampson, Esho, Santee (maybe even Gordon) and presumably Javorn who can play the SF position. I think we have a much more pressing need to get a combo guard. If we end up signing another forward in the class of 2013, I have to guess it will mean one of those 5 (or 6) guys I mentioned earlier isn't coming back in 2013-2014.

MassDynasty321
Senior

Post by MassDynasty321 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:39 pm

NilesGold wrote:From the limited information that we have on the recruiting front, I'm a little disappointed that our standing with recruits doesn't seem to have improved a whole lot with our recent success, in particular with the class of 2013. We have at least 1 more scholarship to offer, but the likelihood of getting a top 100 recruit seems to be fading.

A recent article by Vatour indicated that DK has home visits scheduled with 3 forwards ( Seth Berger, Demetrius Dyson, Zach Coleman), none of which are particularly impressive to me.
http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/09/07/um ... l-schedule

Of course, DK is a whole lot better at determining talent than I am and I have faith in DK, but I'm still a little disappointed.
While I definitely have been pessimistic about some of the recruits that pop up on here, I don't really agree with being disappointed about these 3. Berger definitely is very under the radar, so I see your point there. However, Coleman decommited from Mizzou, and also has offers from LSU and Baylor. Dyson's listed at 3 stars on Rivals. Not saying that these kids are definite program changers, but those aren't bad resumes.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:16 am

As OC ALWAYS says, the roster changes every year and kids leave for whatever reason. Get the talent and let the rest work itself out
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:12 am

^ I agree, to an extent. There's a lot of flexibility with the PF, SF, SG and in this offense even the C positions. But at the same time you can't realistically have a successful team that's woefully imbalanced (i.e. no one can shoot outside jumpers, no one has the size or strength to defend the post or rebound effectively). And the one position you can't ignore in this offense is a point guard. You have what I consider an absolute need at the guard position, either a full PG or a combo guard, by 2014-2015. As things stand right now, Trey Davis and Derrick Gordon will be our only guards by that time. DG is more of a SG/SF and while I have high hopes for Trey, he still hasn't played a minute of college ball. If we don't get a PG or combo guard in the class of 2013, that means if you get one in the class of 2014, they'll be a freshmen being relied on immediately to play significant minutes. That concerns me.

outsidethebox008
Junior

Post by outsidethebox008 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Alex Klinehas tweeted that we have a chance at landing a very underrated talent this weekend. I'm assuming he is referring to Seth.

Big_John_Studd
Junior

Post by Big_John_Studd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm

This kid is ranked as the 10th best H.S. player in the state of Washington for 2012 in this article, FWIW:
http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/8/27/3 ... -2012-2013