KAEO Clyde Santee 2012

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
PTrainXL
Senior
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: The Q

Post by PTrainXL » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Not a good look, but let's put a few things in perspective.

He's young, I'm sure I would have made a joke when I was in his shoes 7 yrs ago, would I put it on a twitter? I don't think so

Also we have no clue how he was raised and all that, while that's not an excuse he certainly is still a kid

Last we can't really ban twitter, it is freedom of speech, he can punish a la sprints for being dumb maybe

I disagree with his statement, but is rather have a guy who may still think he's in highscjool being homophobic than a guy who is constantly making news for being arrested.

Times are changing Clyde time to get used to it

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2452
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Hat you seem more upset about people being upset with Santee than you do with Santee coming off like a complete homophobe.

UMass87
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8245
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:01 am

Post by UMass87 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm

iwearglovesndhat wrote:...
well calling someone a moron on a message board sure as hell does not make YOU look smarter. And the simple fact that you think he should be kicked out of UMass for his opinion on Jason Collins makes you just as intolerant as he is. I'm not sure who pissed all in your cheerios but you gotta calm down. I know what Santee said, and I understand what he meant. I don't agree, but I'm okay with him voicing his opinon because it is a fundamental right.
It bothers me that you are or were a UMass student. Again, of course everyone has a right to an opinion and to express an opinion. Not all opinions are equal, though. Some are, in fact, signs of stupidity. If a person can't defend their opinion with fact and logic then their opinion is the product of stupidity. Santee can't defend, with fact or logic, hating the Wizards because Jason Collins is gay. Therefor his opinion is grounded in stupidity. Universities routinely reject the applicants of stupid people. I am merely asserting that when a student proves to be profoundly stupid they have proven the admissions office made a mistake.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Jackson96 wrote:Hat you seem more upset about people being upset with Santee than you do with Santee coming off like a complete homophobe.
I think in a way you could say im upset by both sides. I think that what Santee said is obviously wrong, and like it was previously said, times are changing and hating gays isn't "cool" anymore. But I think the way people are handling what he said is not right either. It may be because I understand that twitter is just a place to say dumb things, and other people on here don't, and the reason people have twitters is to voice their opinions. I think that people can make their point better by being tolerant about Clyde's freedom to "tweet" freely, but Clyde should also not come off as such a homophobe. People like UMass87 especially make it worse by claiming he should be kicked out of school, and attacking people on here (specifically myself) because we disagree with him (UMass87).

iwearglovesndhat
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm

UMass87 wrote:
iwearglovesndhat wrote:...
well calling someone a moron on a message board sure as hell does not make YOU look smarter. And the simple fact that you think he should be kicked out of UMass for his opinion on Jason Collins makes you just as intolerant as he is. I'm not sure who pissed all in your cheerios but you gotta calm down. I know what Santee said, and I understand what he meant. I don't agree, but I'm okay with him voicing his opinon because it is a fundamental right.
It bothers me that you are or were a UMass student. Again, of course everyone has a right to an opinion and to express an opinion. Not all opinions are equal, though. Some are, in fact, signs of stupidity. If a person can't defend their opinion with fact and logic then their opinion is the product of stupidity. Santee can't defend, with fact or logic, hating the Wizards because Jason Collins is gay. Therefor his opinion is grounded in stupidity. Universities routinely reject the applicants of stupid people. I am merely asserting that when a student proves to be profoundly stupid they have proven the admissions office made a mistake.
Santee can hate the Wizards for whatever reason he damn well pleases. Does clyde come off studid/homophobic? yes. Do other people tweet dumbass things all the time? YES. I'm sure at this school, we have neo nazis, racists, and all sorts of other people that make stupid statements on twitter/facebook. The admissions office did not make a mistake, people just don't have a filter.

User avatar
Jackson96
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2452
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:29 pm

I just know I'd rather be discussing whether or not Santee would be able to help the team next year with his jump shot, athleticism, and having come from a hs that plays pretty good competition.

Instead it's this crap. And to think right before Santee made his dipshit comments, he posted that he was gonna quit twitter to work on his game.

Maybe he'll go back to that plan.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7937
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Post by NilesGold » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

My only hope is that some good comes out of this. It would be great if Clyde could learn a life lesson from this.

UMass87
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8245
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:01 am

Post by UMass87 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

iwearglovesndhat wrote:...
Santee can hate the Wizards for whatever reason he damn well pleases. ....
This is what bother me. You are not capable of simple logic. Santee doesn't hate the Wizards "for whatever reason he damn well pleases". Santee hates the Wizards because Jason Collins is gay. Like you, Santee is apparently incapable of the trivial logic which would show him (and you) how inappropriate this opinion is REGARDLESS of his opinion on homosexuality.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm

UMass87 wrote:
iwearglovesndhat wrote:...
Santee can hate the Wizards for whatever reason he damn well pleases. ....
This is what bother me. You are not capable of simple logic. Santee doesn't hate the Wizards "for whatever reason he damn well pleases". Santee hates the Wizards because Jason Collins is gay. Like you, Santee is apparently incapable of the trivial logic which would show him (and you) how inappropriate this opinion is REGARDLESS of his opinion on homosexuality.
BUT WHY DO YOU CARE WHY CLYDE SANTEE HATES THE WIZARDS? Again for some reason, you think you make your point by attacking people's intelligence through a message board. I am done responding to anything you say that doesn't have to do with basketball. You don't respect anyones opinion unless they agree with you. You are an intolerant piece of garbage. Please go back to your hole wherever you are from and come back when you have something to say about basketball...If you actually know anything about that.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Jackson96 wrote:I just know I'd rather be discussing whether or not Santee would be able to help the team next year with his jump shot, athleticism, and having come from a hs that plays pretty good competition.

Instead it's this crap. And to think right before Santee made his dipshit comments, he posted that he was gonna quit twitter to work on his game.

Maybe he'll go back to that plan.
I think he will see sometime at shooting guard, because of our lack of guard depth.

UMass87
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8245
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:01 am

Post by UMass87 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Unlike you, Alex Kline is not the font of all of my basketball knowledge. It's true, though, that I have no tolerance for illogical crap like you spout.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm

UMass87 wrote:Unlike you, Alex Kline is not the font of all of my basketball knowledge. It's true, though, that I have no tolerance for illogical crap like you spout.
interesting basketball thought!

User avatar
Blutrane93
Senior
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Post by Blutrane93 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm

87, I'm not sure this line of attack is very logical. Every person at the University does and says illogical things. They've been admitted, and doing or thinking illogical things are not grounds for not being admitted, or being kicked out. It's the spirit of Santee's post that's offensive, not the logic. The spirit of his post is not about unity, it's divisive. Even if the post doesn't offend for some reason, it's still problematic from a strategic point of view. If you're a college basketball player or coach trying to bang out the Mullins Center, as Chris said, you'd think you'd shy away from porn pics, terrorist defenses, and homophobic statements. Doesn't exactly build community, and make people want to come out and spend time and money to yell encouragement for you as a human being as you throw a rubber ball in a cylinder.

iwearglovesndhat
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Blutrane93 wrote:87, I'm not sure this line of attack is very logical. Every person at the University does and says illogical things. They've been admitted, and doing or thinking illogical things are not grounds for not being admitted, or being kicked out. It's the spirit of Santee's post that's offensive, not the logic. The spirit of his post is not about unity, it's divisive. Even if the post doesn't offend for some reason, it's still problematic from a strategic point of view. If you're a college basketball player or coach trying to bang out the Mullins Center, as Chris said, you'd think you'd shy away from porn pics, terrorist defenses, and homophobic statements. Doesn't exactly build community, and make people want to come out and spend time and money to yell encouragement for you as a human being as you throw a rubber ball in a cylinder.
just a question for everyone..did anyone see what Mike Wallace (former steelers, now miami dolphis WR) said about Collins coming out on twitter? if not go take a look and I'd like to read what people think about he said.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2848
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 pm

And what if someone on the team was thinking about coming out after what Collins did.. Then he sees his teammates hateful and homophobic comments posted online.. Or maybe your a current umass student who had attended some games and are gay.. I think you second guess supporting this team again.. When it comes to the point the person can hurt the program they need to shut up or get out

Post Reply