KAEO Clyde Santee 2012

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Blutrane93
Senior

KAEO Clyde Santee 2012

Post by Blutrane93 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 pm

http://gazettenet.com/2012/06/07/umass- ... ore-on-way

6'6" combo forward from Houston is on campus for a visit, per Matty V.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... yde-santee

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Sounds like a nice player to fill the void that will be left when Javorn, TV and later Sampson leave the program.

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:24 pm

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:54 pm

It's a small sample, but I like what I see in this guy. Lefty SF who's got a great outside jumper. He was one of, if not the, best player on a top HS team in Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWVSWOPdaUw

ShotPutNC
Junior

Post by ShotPutNC » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Looks so much like Javorn on tape that it kills me. He is a mid-sized SF who can drive the lane with some great dribbling penetration moves and has a head full swagger. Would be happy to get him.

From January: http://www.cohoops.com/2012/01/clyde-sa ... board.html
While on the visits, he looks for certain thing in a college basketball program. "Playing style, the head coach ad player development history," he said
EDIT: Clyde just retweeted Matty V's tweet about the story that mentions him. And he wasn't mentioned in the tweet. Not sure how to read into that.

DOUBLE EDIT: Clyde just tweeted at umass fan, @BTUmassHoops, that he will make his decision Friday night. And retweeted another fan earlier who said that they heard he would be going to UMass. Didn't try to qualify it or give the cryptic I am still deciding sort of answer.[/quote]

ShotPutNC
Junior

Post by ShotPutNC » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Breaking news from within the last 15 minutes:

Clyde Santee (@watchtheshooter) in a twitter conversation is talking to his HS teammate Shai Fields (@OG_Shai, 2012, Weber State).

Clyde:@OG_Shai aye I ain't kno you knew trey Davis..
Shai:@Watchtheshooter yea dats my dude y u say dat
Clyde:@OG_Shai I'm down here at umass chillin with him rite now..
Shai:@Watchtheshooter u on a visit or dats were u at
Clyde:@OG_Shai I'm on a visit this were ima be at doe..
Shai:@Watchtheshooter dats big time dude. good shit

I would say the visit is going well. Says this is where he will be to a teammate.

m626t
Senior

Post by m626t » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:39 am

/\

I used google translator to read this. sounds promising.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 am

ShotPutNC wrote:Looks so much like Javorn on tape that it kills me. He is a mid-sized SF who can drive the lane with some great dribbling penetration moves and has a head full swagger.
I really like JF, especially his attitude, but Santee seems like a much different player and in my opinion has the potential to be a better player. Santee is taller, thinner and has more elevation than JF. Santee is a scorer with a great outside shot, whereas JF is more of a jack of all trades. JF is a threat to drive to the basket, he has a passable 3pt shooting % when he's left open, he's a good passer and he really hustles.

If Santee does come to UMass, it will be interesting to see if he is a non-qualifier, or if he is a partial qualifier or he fully qualifies, then someone is out a scholarship. Or if maybe he goes the post-grad route.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:15 am

While reading Dewey's story today about more guys coming, I was thinking that we should field two teams.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

ShotPutNC
Junior

Post by ShotPutNC » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 am

He hasn't qualified academically yet. Thats not saying he definitively is a non-qualifier or partial qualifier, but Isaac Freeman had been qualified for a while now.

And let me clarify that I don't hate JF. The "it kills me" part was more just disbelief that DK found another person with such similar skill sets. Santee is a scorer, yes, but he scores in the same way JF does. Over half of the highlights I have seem on him are drives to the basket, either on fast break or penetrating a defense. Sometimes he even used the threat of dribbling through the defense to set up his outside shot. But that said, its impossible to tell exactly how good of a passer he is from film. The hustle seems like it is there though. They aren't going to be carbon copies of one another but they both bring similar play styles. And hey, they would both probably benefit from playing against each other in practice.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 am

If we can get a JF type player who has a little better outside shot and slightly better hops we have a winner. If Friday is decision day, let do it!!!

Edit: All indications are that he will not qualify, which is perfect for us. He will come in as a wing player when we lose JF and Freddie (also TV - but not the same position) and he if he is a partial qualifier (like JL) he can practice with the team.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 am

Going off memory, don't partial qualifiers count towards the scholarship cap? Whereas non-qualifiers do not.

I've never seen video of JF playing in HS, but watching him the last 3 years at UMass I would never consider him a scorer or great outside shooter.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

I thought it was already established that he hadn't qualified and would thus be coming as a non-qualifier, sitting out a year to get his grades in order before hopefully suiting up in 2013-2014.

As for his game, I have heard great, great things about his talent and have been very impressed with his highlights. Apparently, he plays for one of the best AAU teams in the country and would have received way more offers but for his non-qualifying status (similar to Laguerre in that sense). The kid would fit perfectly in our uptempo system. He's long and would be great on the press, he can put the ball on the floor and cause real match-up problems for smaller guards and/or slower forwards. He can jump and contribute rebounds. Really, everything I've heard/seen suggests that he would provide a bit of what Ferrell, Samp and TV currently give us.

The concern, of course, is whether he would end up qualifying. Never a given. But he'd have four years plus the year sitting out (are non qualifiers able to practice with the team? I'm pretty sure the answer is no). He's clearly a guy you'd want on your roster, but say he doesn't gain eligibility and you don't learn about that until May. It becomes very tough to recruit a kid at that late stage in the game because most of the talent has been signed (Freeman and Davis being exceptions to this rule). It's a real risk and you have to do your research in order to formulate some sort of realistic guess as to whether or not he'll qualify.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:30 pm

I think the staff will have a good sense of whether a non-qualifier will get it done well before the end of the school year. They'll have the results of the first semester and I'm sure they closely track grades through the spring semester.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if he went the same route Trey Davis went. Which is to say he's going to be a non-qualifier and instead of enrolling at UMass he'll go to prep school for a year before enrolling at UMass in 2013.