Coach Jackson

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
km109
Senior

Coach Jackson

Post by km109 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 am

Reports that he is one of three finalists to fill out Brad Brownell's staff at Clemson. Would be a loss to the program.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri May 18, 2012 12:09 pm

^
Where are these reports??

For others, if you need to get educated...
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m- ... won00.html

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Fri May 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I do not have a Scout Clemson subscription, but:

http://clemson.scout.com/2/1187577.html

If you Google: "Antwon Jackson Clemson" the following comes up in the search results:

Scout.com: Three candidates identified by Brownell
mbd.scout.com › Forums › The Valley
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
1 post - 1 author - 2 hours ago
Complete Clemson coverage on the Scout.com Network. ... Antwon Jackson, UMass. Profile Steve Smith, Georgia Southern Profile We do know ..

So, cannot confirm the "reports", but I would not be shocked if he's one of the three Clemson has identified based on my spy work here.

Fingers crossed we can keep him; great guy and we sure have done well in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area recruiting wise.

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:15 pm

My information from friend who works there. She said reported locally that Coach Jackson one of three finalists along with guy from GA Southern and someone from Marquette. Word is all three have been or will be interviewed and that Brownell expects to hire from that trio.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri May 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Twitter:

Clemson Buzzz ‏@ClemsonBuzzz

RT @TheCaptain560 Brad Brownell's final 3 choices: S Smith(Georgia Southern);A Collins(Marquette);Antwan Jackson(UMASS).All good recruiters!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Good assistants should move on to better things. Best of luck Mr. Jackson.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Fri May 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Not sure uprooting your family to move to Clemson is better for him right now, but to each his own...

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Fri May 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Gotta go with Roadtrip on this one..., If Jackson has a hankering to move into a headcoach role..., he's got the bona fides for a good school to give him a shot.

Yeah, I'd love to see him stay. I'd love even more to see him pursue his dream.

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 pm

To some degree this plays into what I wrote in the DK thread; it's not just about extending DK and his contact; it is about resources for the program.

UMass doesn't appear to have a #1, #2 and #3 assistant structure like many other staffs so I am curious what spot is available at Clemson (if they have a #1, #2, #3 Asst.).

Nevertheless, Clemson is in the ACC and probably pays more money and has more resources. A move to a BCS conference always at least appears to be an upgrade, though the "new" A10 may be the 7th best basketball conference (right behind the 6 BCS conferences).

In an ideal world, I would love for our Assistants to only leave to become Head Coaches and our Basketball Opps and/or GA's only leave to become Assistants. Otherwise, ideal world again, I would love to be able to keep our staff together. The only way we can do that is to competatively pay and support the program's staff in comparison to realistic peers. That said, sometimes job decisions are not just based on basketball and coaching careers, but based on families and life which is 100% understandable. In my opionion a great Head Coach helps develop his staff. You want the Assistants and support staff to leave for better opportunities in the profession.

Again, what is UMass? What is Clemson? I think Clemson is a better job, but I always hate to say it and it make me place my expectations in check.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Fri May 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Lou Roe
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

ShotPutNC
Junior

Post by ShotPutNC » Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm

While the team doesnt have a typical #1, #2, #3 assistants, if you forced them into roles I am sure that you would find Jackson in the #1 slot. Its impossible to keep a good assistant a secret however and if Jackson sees his opportunity in Clemson, more power to him. But, We will need to pick up the slack in the VA, MD region that Jackson has done so well in.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 am

If we have a couple of good seasons like we're all expecting, there may be better opportunities ( like a head coaching opportunity) somewhere better down the line. While I'd love to see the staff stay together, also would like to see UMass assistants get their chances if that's what they want. Can't blame anybody for trying to make their life/career/family security better.
Time to Win

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat May 19, 2012 8:10 am

If Lou Roe doesn't have a degree, he won't be hired for a full-time coaching position. If he isn't a full-time coach, he can't recruit off campus. End of Lou Roe talk.

BTHoops
Senior

Post by BTHoops » Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 am

I agree re: the points made on Coach Jackson. It just goes to my point that everyone seems under the agreement that Clemson (not necessarily a basketball power, though in a great league) is a better program and hense a step up even if the career move is parallel in terms of #1 Assistant at UMass to #1 Assistant at Clemson (which we do not know if it is, perhaps it is a promotion and probably is a pay bump).

So what is UMass in terms of a program (how are we thought of in the college hoops hierarchy, resources, pay for coaches/support staff, conference affiliation/situation, fan/alumni support, living area/campus, cost of living, etc)? Top 150? Top 125? Top 100? Top 75? Top 50? Top 25?

If we're a top 100 or maybe top 75 progam why do we (fans) feel we should have better than top 100 or top 75 results during the seasons? It goes to my point that maybe our long term expectations should be in line with what we really are.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 am

^
I thought UMass wouldn't retire the number of a player who didn't graduate. If that is the case then Lou Roe has a degree from UMass. In any case, I always assumed he did since he stayed for four years. Why does TruBluMaroon think he didn't get his degree?