KAEO: Derrick Gordon

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Derrick Gordon

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 am

Was going to be the #1 draft pick in the NHL, but keep tying up my fingers in the skates.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:07 am

Kid really needs to surround himself with people grounded in reality. He was a dime a dozen player in college. Loved him when he was here, I'll take 15 kids that dive into the scorers table to save a loose ball. Really sad that he had to play the gay card opening the door to his game being seriously exposed for how limited it was.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:18 am

mlaconte459 wrote:Left Umass undermanned so he could improve his "draft stock" it's always about him, I know opinions of him differ.. But I am certainly not a fan
Like I've said before and people disagreed with me.. He is a selfish person that only cares about himself.. I'm glad he left Umass.. Absolute embarrassment, guy was NO WHERE close to being an NBA player.. Just needed to say something to get him noticed again
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 am

^
If I'd have a conversation with Derrick, the first question would be: what are you hoping to accomplish by getting this particular story out there?

He wasn't going to get into the NBA to begin with, and that's due to his game, not his personal life. But assuming he might have a chance to break in with a 10 day contract somewhere, that chance is pretty much dust at this point. That bridge, as shaky as it might have been, is burnt to the ground now.

And ktabz raises a good point also. Does a statement like Gordon's help or hurt the chances of a gay player getting into the league in the future? Sports is a business, and the business only does well when you win. If a gay player happens to be a part of a winning team, then that's a good thing in the spirit of breaking down those barriers. But teams also don't want it a player's sexuality be an issue of itself, a distraction. Derrick is making it more of a distraction.

I wish him well in his life, but as others have said, he needs people close to him that ground him in realities. Reality #1 is that his basketball skills aren't going to get him into the NBA. It's not a sexuality issue. Stop making it into one. If he wants to keep playing, there are a ton of pro clubs internationally. He has the skills to play elsewhere and still make it his profession.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Gordon has no idea what he's talking about because Jason Collins played for the Nets after coming out as gay and there was no issue with him. I really feel that this is DG's way of rationalizing the fact NBA teams weren't lining up to sign him. Never was a fan of his after he trashed UMass on the way out the door

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:44 pm

The NBA is, by a wide margin, the most progressive professional league in the U.S. (i know - a low bar). I don't think Gordon's comments are going to hurt any other gay player's chances of making it to the NBA. I don't see Gordon as selfish as much as somewhat delusional. There was never a moment in any rational, knowledgeable, and objective observers life when they thought: "Derrick Gordon may be able to play in the NBA". And it certainly had nothing to do with his sexuality.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:44 pm

DG should probably talk to Chaz about how difficult it is to get to the NBA. DG just doesn't have the shooting percentage needed.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:00 pm

I've defended Gordon on this board before, but he is completely in the wrong here. His comments very much HURT future players/athletes from coming out since he is insinuating that his sexual orientation has been used against him.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:49 pm

mlaconte459 wrote:
mlaconte459 wrote:Left Umass undermanned so he could improve his "draft stock" it's always about him, I know opinions of him differ.. But I am certainly not a fan
Like I've said before and people disagreed with me.. He is a selfish person that only cares about himself.. I'm glad he left Umass.. Absolute embarrassment, guy was NO WHERE close to being an NBA player.. Just needed to say something to get him noticed again
I think he's more delusional and hearing the wrong information from the media around him that has changed his life, than him actually being selfish.

That being said, him thinking he was blackballed by the NBA is clearly ridiculous, just stop DG, just stop.

CarriageEstates22 wrote:I've defended Gordon on this board before, but he is completely in the wrong here. His comments very much HURT future players/athletes from coming out since he is insinuating that his sexual orientation has been used against him.
Agreed.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:56 pm

This is all very odd and a little bit sad. It seemed like DG was at peace with his decision to become a firefighter in San Francisco. Now, this interview pops up. Makes me wonder if it might not be as simple as delusions of grandeur, but rather a third party possibly using DG as a mouthpiece in its cause. I have no idea if that's the case, but I do wonder.

At any rate, I hope he really finds whatever it is he is looking for and goes on to a happy, fulfilling life.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Can't imagine what happens if he doesn't pass the firefighters entrance program.
He's been around high profile programs since he was young with all the percs and notoriety so I'm sure it's an adjustment when it ends
Time to Win

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:20 pm

^ I am sure he will find another way to get his name in "the papers", I believe that is all he is after at this point.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:12 pm

Almost a carbon copy of his statements about not being recruited by elite programs after leaving UMass.

What often gets lost is how old he is. People treat like he's a misguided 17 year old l. He's at least 25.

Irony of all this, is that the people who saw through all his bullsh*t were the ones who treated him equally just like any other delusional, selfish, problem player who quit on his team, straight or gay. It's the PC Gestapo that undeservingly defended this kid to the tilt.

Never seen a player who quit on a program that supported him so much receive so much praise.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:41 pm

njumass08 wrote:DG should probably talk to Chaz about how difficult it is to get to the NBA. DG just doesn't have the shooting percentage needed.
Add in guys like Putney (especially) and LaLanne who are busting their butts to get the experience and the skills to get just a shot at the NBA . If Gordon was good enough, the NBA would have called. If not, he could have put in the extra effort to get noticed. I can't imagine the NBA not loving to get a Derrick Gordon-esque success story.

I was happy to have Gordon's talents at UMass and proud about the support he apparently got from the UMass family and community.

I continue to support Gordon's valuable contribution to humanity with his new career choice. I don't support his self-perceived martyrdom.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:59 am

mlaconte459 wrote:

He probably has buyer's remorse now that he has entered the real world and punching a clock (so to speak) and having a pity party. Teams look for talent, simple as that, he can create a false reality about him being blackballed to make himself feel better because it's not his fault he is a solid NBA player :roll: .

If Jeffrey Dahmer could shoot 50% and pull down 8 rebounds a game teams would have just viewed him as having a slight eating disorder and lined up to sign him.
Last edited by fenway617 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.