UMass Hoops Tweets?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:Wow Marty, that was longer than most the papers I wrote in college...but well wrote.
That made me laugh.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:36 pm

UMass87 wrote:
Refuse2Lose83 wrote:Wow Marty, that was longer than most the papers I wrote in college...but well wrote.
That made me laugh.
Had finished my work kinda early yesterday and started it in the office. Felt like going home so I sent myself the first few paragraphs. Fiancee out of town today and it's raining, so I figured I'd keep writing. A bit pathetic, I know.

Bueno97
Sophomore

Post by Bueno97 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:50 pm

It's funny, I find that people tend to embellish the negativity of their interactions with famous people when they feel disrespected. There is no doubt that Dyson's tweet was offensive and needs to be dealt with, but it's tough to say how accurate the representation of the private messages has been. The tweet is what should be discussed and is what is concerning and is what is provable. A private conversation where one of the parties is not around to defend himself should have no bearing on this discussion. It's important to remember that everyone has an agenda, even bloggers who as we all know epitomize integrity.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Marty - I was laughing at Refuse2Lose83 writing "but well wrote" which is funny whether intentional (which I assumed) or not - particularly after I had just posted about the irony in the thread.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:50 pm

Marty, I don't see how you can just dismiss the garbage that Blindspots has put out there. He can say what he wants about abortion and the Holocaust, but it's okay because they announce prior to posting it that they are offensive? Or because someone who is offended by Holocaust humor just doesn't get the point of their feed? He's just another wannabe barstool shockblogger, the lowest form of attempted entertainment. Can't think of anything good or funny, so lets just be an asshole on purpose and hope people want to read.

I agree with the obvious about Dysons comments. But nobody needs to chill out on the blatant hypocrisy at work here with the reaction.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:36 pm

UMass87 wrote:Marty - I was laughing at Refuse2Lose83 writing "but well wrote" which is funny whether intentional (which I assumed) or not - particularly after I had just posted about the irony in the thread.
You mean "written" is the correct word there!?!? No wonder my college papers always came back with a lot of red on them! :wink:

PS Wasn't taking a shot at you Marty at all, I thought what you said was extremely well said. I don't agree every point but I respect the way you written it.
Hire Matt McCall!

bittym87
Sophomore

Post by bittym87 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31 pm

I think Matt literally almost died of laughter when he read that someone had compared him to Barstool (which he and I both unequivocally detest, maybe the one thing we're ever fully in agreement on). Like, legitimately almost killed him. Please don't kill my friend, you guys. I need him to pay the rent.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaaaay the news goes.
@FightMass: the lowest form of attempted entertainment

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:51 pm

I heard a football player at UNC turned in Marty's post as his own paper and got an A. :lol:

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:07 pm

haha not quite as good as the Rosa Park paper though!
Hire Matt McCall!

The Patriot
Freshman

Post by The Patriot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:31 am

Way to go Marty. Educate the kid. Good job. You've stood for the rights of society. Awesome. Take him down Marty. Take that 19-year old down. Ruin his future. Go Marty go. How dare he.
Get a brain! Morans.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 am

UMass02 wrote:
I heard a football player at UNC turned in Marty's post as his own paper and got an A. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I heard a BC football player did the same. Except he had to make a bunch of spelling mistakes so that his professor would believe he wrote it.
Last edited by harbo on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 am

@ this whole thread
KAEO = Keeping An Eye On ... est. 1998

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:06 am

The Patriot wrote:Way to go Marty. Educate the kid. Good job. You've stood for the rights of society. Awesome. Take him down Marty. Take that 19-year old down. Ruin his future. Go Marty go. How dare he.
Good response, bro.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm happy we didn't have Facebook and Twitter when I was in school. Way back then, the only personal interaction between fans and players were with the students who actually lived and went to classes with the players. There were off the court issues that not everyone knew about because there was no way to broadcast it other than this message board and aol instant message. I'm laughing thinking about some of the conversations we could be having on this board about some of the off the court/field actions of basketball/football and even hockey and lacrosse players. The players and coaches need to know that everything they post online will be seen by fans.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:21 pm

I usually agree with a lot of what Marty says but here I do not.

People are directly linking the insensitive choice of words with the kid's actual beliefs. I challenge you to start from the beginning with this premise:

Assume DD only uses the words "faggot" and "gay" to describe something as "stupid", which as many of us agree, is insensitive but unfortunately not uncommon. And assume he is not in any way prejudiced against homosexuals. Now look through the entire exchange from his viewpoint knowing those two things.

DD retweets something he thinks is funny but doesn't think denigrates homosexuals. Maybe he doesn't even give it a second thought.

Blindspots tweets, "really bro? You play 8 miles east of Northampton and yr going to come out with this homophobic shit? It's disappointing."

Perhaps DD doesn't appreciate someone saying he is posting "homophobic shit" since he is NOT homophobic and thought he posted some funny shit. Rather than taking it public, he purposely takes it to private message, "With all respect. I would appreciate if you didn't tweet things that are(n't) factual. You're just making yourself sound stupid. Thank you”. So here he thinks it's stupid for someone to label his retweet is homophobic. I'd say he shows a fair amount of judgement by taking it to DM and is even somewhat polite about it. At this point, I would say that DD was trying to dispel a notion. He's trying to defend himself against someone he doesn't know publicly labeling him as homophobic.

Blindspots responds by wanting to know what message DD is sending to gay fans and tells him it is "unacceptable" to him

Now DD certainly could have handled it better at this point, but I could see how he might be annoyed by this exchange and the fact that some stranger tells him his retweet was "unacceptable". Perhaps he feels like he's being attacked and being made fun of in public for no reason. At this point, he's done with this fool and tells him to piss off, all the while emphasizing that the retweet was NOT homophobic and telling him to go make fun of someone else. For good measure, he uses the word "gay" to tell blindspots that he's stupid to interpret the retweet that way.

Now my point here is this: There is NO reason to believe DD is homophobic or stupid but blindpsots feels compelled to keep pushing that notion and to me that is wrong and hurtful and damaging to DD for no good reason. DD pointedly stated he was not being hompohobic but blindspots wants to ignore that part and only focus on the use of the word "gay" in the DM. Now Marty and others are perpetuating this crap and calling him a moron, a fool, and again homophobic. You're dragging him through the mud over nothing.

If you want to say that DD has a poor sense of humor or had a poor and unfortunate choice of words in a PRIVATE message, I don't disagree. But why can't he privately ask a stranger to stop misrepresenting him in a public forum? Why can't he tell that same stranger to piss off if he thinks that stranger is being a stupid, condescending prick? And can't we all have our own unique sense of humor?

While I want everyone to be aware that hurtful words should be avoided, I also think DD deserves some credit for standing up for himself when he felt he was being unfairly attacked or labeled. I also would like to see blindspots continue to pursue his pet cause while realizing there are a lot of better ways to do it than the way he did.

The fact is that it is more hurtful to label and attack DD in public than it was for DD to retweet a distasteful joke or tell a stranger to piss off in private. Can we just let this go away now?