KAEO: Chaz Williams

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Online
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14230
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 pm

^

Playing in the game? Yes, I do (think it's a stretch). Smoking otherwise? Of course not.. tons of people do, basketball players or otherwise.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by Floyd » Tue May 30, 2017 4:17 pm

When was the last time we had a player go for 40 twice in a season and close another couple times? Trey Davis could fill it up. He had some bombs that even James Jimmy himself would have envied
The E sho, best show in town

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by LS71 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:16 am

MJatUM wrote:
LS71 wrote:^ With the exception of "Was just happy to be there [and it showed] for.....the same could be said for the Stony Brook game at the Bill in the NIT the season before" when they clearly weren't happy to be there [which also showed]... . :evil:
I don't really put that on DK... You can do all you possibly can to try and get a team up for the game. If the guys checked out then they checked out. That's on the players 99%.
It wasn't just a game. It was a post season tournament in front of the home crowd. Definitely more than 1% on the coach to have his team ready to compete that night.

They made it all the way to MSG the previous season. Sure they were hoping to Dance that year, but they lost in the semis of the A-10 and got a 2 seed in the NIT. Had they played that tournament like they gave a sh*t, they could have gone back to MSG...who know...maybe win it all. Instead they embarrassed themselves and the name on the front of their uniforms that night and ultimately foreshadowed their dismal showing in the Dance the next year. Ironically, Tennessee, also a #2 seed in the NIT that year, was upset that night.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 31, 2017 8:26 am

LS71 wrote:
I don't really put that on DK... You can do all you possibly can to try and get a team up for the game. If the guys checked out then they checked out. That's on the players 99%.
It wasn't just a game. It was a post season tournament in front of the home crowd. Definitely more than 1% on the coach to have his team ready to compete that night.

They made it all the way to MSG the previous season. Sure they were hoping to Dance that year, but they lost in the semis of the A-10 and got a 2 seed in the NIT. Had they played that tournament like they gave a sh*t, they could have gone back to MSG...who know...maybe win it all. Instead they embarrassed themselves and the name on the front of their uniforms that night and ultimately foreshadowed their dismal showing in the Dance the next year. Ironically, Tennessee, also a #2 seed in the NIT that year, was upset that night.

Preach!!!!!

I do wonder what the message was from the front office. Disappointment aside - if DK was doing whatever he could to try to motivate them, I put more blame on the players, but if DK was hanging his head too, then they are all to blame equally... I can't imagine - Even DK - not trying to get up for that game.

I do remember - vividly - thinking that the game was over by the first TV timeout. That was one of the more unmotivated looking efforts I have ever seen. The Tennessee game was different - they were just overwhelmed and beyond outcoached in that game. Umass did not look unmotivated, they looked unprepared......
In Matt McCall I trust!

Online
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14230
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 31, 2017 8:49 am

LS71 wrote:... but they lost in the semis of the A-10 ...

Phew, thank God you said that right... some people lose their minds otherwise!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

tdmass
Senior
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:40 am
Location: Ormond Beach,Florida

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by tdmass » Wed May 31, 2017 9:49 am

^^ Speaking of coaching mismatches . . has there ever been a bigger one in NCAA history than the only year Butler was in the A-10 and it was Derek Kellogg vs Brad Stevens . . phew squared!

Online
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14230
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 31, 2017 9:52 am

tdmass wrote:^^ Speaking of coaching mismatches . . has there ever been a bigger one in NCAA history than the only year Butler was in the A-10 and it was Derek Kellogg vs Brad Stevens . . phew squared!

Take other people's quotes from Twitter much?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
LS71 wrote:... but they lost in the semis of the A-10 ...
Phew, thank God you said that right... some people lose their minds otherwise!

If you think that the Tennessee game was anything short of complete humiliation and a lopsided coaching job - you are on crack. That was THE most disgusted I have ever felt about a Umass Basketball game EVER in 40 years of following them - that includes the many many dark days of the 80's, the Duquesne game a few months ago, and snapping Fordham's 0-43 in conference losing streak.

So - NO - "dropped" is not the appropriate word for that loss in the tournament.
In Matt McCall I trust!

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 10684
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by uz2b-len » Wed May 31, 2017 10:21 am

The difference between the Tennessee loss and all the other humiliations was that it was on national tv.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Online
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14230
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 am

eldonabe wrote:
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
LS71 wrote:... but they lost in the semis of the A-10 ...
Phew, thank God you said that right... some people lose their minds otherwise!

If you think that the Tennessee game was anything short of complete humiliation and a lopsided coaching job - you are on crack. That was THE most disgusted I have ever felt about a Umass Basketball game EVER in 40 years of following them - that includes the many many dark days of the 80's, the Duquesne game a few months ago, and snapping Fordham's 0-43 in conference losing streak.

So - NO - "dropped" is not the appropriate word for that loss in the tournament.
I'm not sure why you quoted my post (and the specific part of LS' that I quoted), as it had absolutely nothing to do with the verbal diarrhea you just spewed.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by eldonabe » Wed May 31, 2017 10:48 am

IV your post seemed like a backhanded retort to my post about Joleone's use of the word "Dropped".

Misunderstanding I guess...
In Matt McCall I trust!

Online
User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14230
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 31, 2017 11:07 am

Nope, it wasn't.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3375
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Back in FL
Contact:

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by Roadtrip » Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 am

Think it might be time to step back from the NCAA season. Some think it was quite an achievement, others an unmitigated disaster. To each his own.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by MJatUM » Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm

Roadtrip wrote:Think it might be time to step back from the NCAA season. Some think it was quite an achievement, others an unmitigated disaster. To each his own.
It was an unmitigated disaster of an ending to an otherwise hell of an achievement of a season.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5633
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: KAEO: Chaz Williams

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:31 am

^ The only positive from that day was having seats directly behind the Mercer bench for the second game and watching a "real coach" outwit the Dookies and Coach K at every turn. I remember an article in the press state that Mercer had "a brilliant game plan." That might have been something we were lacking. :shock:
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Post Reply