Brennan Martin and Delonte West

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MrMiagi

Brennan Martin and Delonte West

Post by MrMiagi » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:58 pm

Prepstars 2001

Brennan Martin
6-6
WF
Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military

Delonte West
6-3
WG
Greenbelt (MD) Roosevelt

I guess they aren't always right.

Martin can shoot, hopefully he hits the weights and works on his handle. There's definitely a place for him on the team.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:51 am

So Martin was rated ahead of West coming out of high school? Maybe it's the coaching they have received since then :lol:

Or a combination of a myriad of factors.....

Does anyone else think that West's shooting is reminiscent of McCoy's style?

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:13 am

Actually, I just think Delonte is much better player. He can put the ball on the floor, is explosive, has a great shooting touch, is much more athletic, can get to the basket, etc. Delonte looked like he was a player the first few times he stepped on the floor his freshman year. He was just over looked and Gary Williams at Maryland said he regretted not recruiting him.

How many times did Martelli beat Lap and his "down" teams at Nova?

Zero?

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:41 am

Ok, you open Lappas up to 2nd guessing by posting this, since Lappas was one of the "they" that isn't always right. Then when someone goes for the obvious jab you've set for Lappas you have to go on the defense for him.

Miagi, you are seriously a sad person.

And it doesn't matter how many times Lappas beat Martelli while he was at Nova, he is the UMass head coach now and this is a UMass board. Stop living in the past!

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:54 am

Rocks22 wrote:Stop living in the past!
And when he's not living in the past, he's dredging it up. How about explaining this post, Lappas fan?

--------------------------------------------

704.1.1. Honor?
by TurbanCowboy (aka Mr. Miagi), 4/15/03 22:10 ET

Is that cheating with a greeceball coach and having your final four stripped?

--------------------------------------------

Go back to where you came from. You're making it very hard to like Lappas.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:04 am

Brulaughs,

I guess the truth hurts. I now know of at least 4 screen names that you carry on this board.

To the other guy,

I just posting that to show how the recruiting rankings don't mean anything. You could be rated a lot lower than you should be or a lot higher than you should be. I just found it hard to believe that someone could think that Martin was a better high school prospect given that Delonte can obviously score and is a much stronger and better athlete.

If this is a knock against Laps eye for talent, so be it.

I think the fact that Lap beat Martellie all the time at Nova just shows what little talent he was left at UMASS.

I could make the most valid point in the world on this board and it wouldn't matter.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:09 am

I could make the most valid point in the world on this board and it wouldn't matter.
So take the hint.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:19 am

MrMiagi wrote:
I think the fact that Lap beat Martellie all the time at Nova just shows what little talent he was left at UMASS.
Well I guess this upcoming year will be the make or break year for both you and him. He's got all his players now (those who have decided to stay), except for that little talent holdover AA, arguably the MVP of the last two seasons. If the teams shows no improvement next year, what will be your excuse?

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:35 am

MrMiagi is one of the few posters trying to stay positive, and so-called fans are bashing him for it? That's appalling. Keep up the good work MrM.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:52 am

Bashing the players, the program and former coaches to defend Lappas' terrible performance so far is not staying postitive.

When evaluating the work in progress you have to give Lappas an 'F' so far. This season, he has a chance to raise his grade. If he does, people will stop sniping at him. If he doesn't, the bullseye becomes bigger. It's as simple as that.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:56 am

Another big difference between West and Martin is that there are no rumors of West wanting to transfer.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:24 am

Hey, if Miagi is a big Lappas supporter that's fine, I don't care. That's why I chose not to get involved in the other threads where he is defending Lappas. I just thought it was sad that he started a topic in which he knew was opening up Lappas to scrutiny, and when that scrutiny came he kicked in with his knee jerk reaction of Lappas' Nova days.

Yes, Lappas had a lot of success at Nova, which is one of the reasons he is the coach here, and one of the reasons I was optimistic when he arrived. However, that doesn't mean anything now. All that matters is his record of success while at UMass and the upcoming year to be played with his own recruits (as Miagi likes to remind us). What Lappas did or did not do at Nova no longer means anything after two losing seasons at UMass.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:40 am

What are you talking about?

The post had nothing to do with Lappas.

I was just looking at the rankings from a few years ago to see how different players were ranked then and how they are doing now.

I noticed that Martin was rated higher than West, end of story. There were other players. Warrick from Syracuse was around 130. One of Michigan State's starting guards was like 150. There are guys in the top 100 that can't play at all.

That's all there was to it.

Opening up Lap to scrutiny? I was just pointing out that the rankings aren't an exact science. You just hope the guys are right when they are ranked highly, and if they aren't ranked in the top 50, you hope they are better than the experts think which can be the case often.

Give me a break.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:19 am

Maybe Miagi is BruLaughs.....consider this from the end of a post BruLaughs made this morning......

Hopefully Brennan Martin will show that he's worth having on scholarship at some point. How was this kid ever going to get minutes in the Big East?

Hmmmm, Miagi brings up a comparison of West and Martin and then goes on to also say that he thinks West is a better player and this pops up on the Masslies board.......interesting.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:49 pm

I'd take Delonte West in a heartbeat. The kid plays under control, is aggressive, and plays with good confidence. Just goes to show that player rankings don't always give a true indication of a guy's talent. Heart and passion is often overlooked. Jury still out on Brennan, don't know if I like his game or not. Appears to be able to shoot, but seems slow footed. Just my observation.