Recruiting and other stuff from Matty V.

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
obg
Senior

Recruiting and other stuff from Matty V.

Post by obg » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:54 am

krkess
Senior

Tim Welsh will be replaced at Providence

Post by krkess » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:20 pm

A return shot to the little state!
Maybe this article will quell the rumblings here and the masslive type of banter.

Mark 80
Sophomore

Post by Mark 80 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:33 pm

I'm glad to see the immediate and straight forward response. It puts it all in place with no chance for any other interpretation.
"In our Country... one class of men makes war and leaves another to fight it out." ~ William T. Sherman

whiterhino42
Junior

I'm glad that's settled

Post by whiterhino42 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:46 pm

Well I'm very glad this has been cleared up. Now we can get down to business and concentrate on the 2003-04 season.
Lineup
PG Anthony Anderson, SG Artie Bowers, SF Jeff Viggiano, PF Ray Freeman, C Stephen Briggs, Bench: Gabe Lee, Maurice Maxwell, Marcus Cox, Brennan Martin, Alasane Kouyate, Paco Kotoridis.
That looks like a young line-up but it also looks like a very talented one.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:02 pm

Sounds young but potentially potent. I like the the size down low and the versatility on the wings. I can't waite till next year. Go Umass!

philosopher
Hall of Fame

individual instruction

Post by philosopher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:25 pm

I like Lappas' approach to the off-season. Weights and individual instruction. Here is a hope: No one is allowed to the showers until all of the players have made 100 free throws each day they are on the court. I'll leave the math for those who have the game-by-game stats at hand, but it would be an interesting piece of data to know what the UMass record would have been had the team shot 75% from the stripe instead of whatever feeble number they eventually did manage. There are two reasons for poor foulshooting: myopia which can be corrected, and laziness in practice, which needs to be corrected.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:14 pm

Fatigue could also play a part in missed free throws. Someone mentioned that Lap is not a big fan of weight lifting during the season, which I would disagree with. Don't have to work out to bulk up during the season, but lifting will increase stamina & should help with late game/season fatigue.

Joker96
Sophomore

Re: I'm glad that's settled

Post by Joker96 » Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:57 pm

whiterhino42 wrote:Well I'm very glad this has been cleared up. Now we can get down to business and concentrate on the 2003-04 season.
Lineup
PG Anthony Anderson, SG Artie Bowers, SF Jeff Viggiano, PF Ray Freeman, C Stephen Briggs, Bench: Gabe Lee, Maurice Maxwell, Marcus Cox, Brennan Martin, Alasane Kouyate, Paco Kotoridis.
That looks like a young line-up but it also looks like a very talented one.
My guess would be
PG-AA
SG-Artie
SF-Jeff
PF-Briggs/Freeman
C-Gabe

I don't see how Gabe wouldn't start after being an important role player on last year's team.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

?

Post by philosopher » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:40 pm

Floyd wrote:Fatigue could also play a part in missed free throws.
Not to minimize your point, which has validity, but that still equates to laziness in practice.

Thinking about the lineup, let's try something outside the lines, just for fun :shock: . Instead of the usual 2-2-1 lineup, why not a 3-2? Go with three perimeter players, letting Briggs, Lee and Freeman rotate inside, and your other guards and forwards play the outside? From the scouting reports, neither Briggs nor Freeman are allergic to the paint. Lee has shown some willingness to go inside. Kouyate might even earn extra minutes with this kind of lineup. With three perimeter players, the motion offense would stay a bit more open for a cutter to the hoop. This gives Lap the luxury of going with the hot hand(s).

harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: individual instruction

Post by harbo » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:39 pm

philosopher wrote:...it would be an interesting piece of data to know what the UMass record would have been had the team shot 75% from the stripe instead of whatever feeble number they eventually did manage...
An even bigger problem is the discrepancy in FT's attempted. UMass shot 516 ft (at 64%), but the opponents got to the line 96 more times with 612 attempts (at 69% - they scored 93 more points or 3.2 ppg).

This was a huge improvement over the previous season when we were outshot 715-459 (258 attempts) and outscored from the line 481-307 (174 points or 5.8 ppg).

Any ideas on why the discrepancies? Is is a product of the motion offense? And the wrong people in place to run it? By comparison, Bruisers last two seasons were -83 attempts (767-684, -80 points) and -15 attempts (716-701, -14 points).

BTW the national FT average is hovering around 68%.