Lowe & Harris --- best backcourt combo ever at UMASS?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Pierce9999
Senior

Guard Combo's

Post by Pierce9999 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:25 am

I started at UM in 1986. I saw the end of the Smith/Sutton regime. For me, they are the best combo, but I saw none in person, before that. For me it is, Smith/Sutton 1, Lowe/Harris 2, McCoy and Anton Brown 3. I can't comment on any on the 70's or before, because I never saw them or researched them.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 pm

xlgman wrote:2008 ABA MVP and All Star game MVP Anthony Anderson says hello
Let's not forget that Anderson quit on us at the end of his UM career.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Kosty wrote:
goumass27 wrote:I believe Rafer Giles played the 2 with Cary Herer
For one year, I believe you are correct. Cary played because Anton went down with a knee injury I believe. I think that was my freshman year, 1989-1990.
No, by the end of that year Rafer was the 6th man. Once Herndon became eligible it was Harper-Will-Tony in the frontcourt, with McCoy and Herer starting in the backcourt. That was the lineup that went to the A-10 final and played Maryland in the NIT.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:01 pm

I suppose the next evolution of this thread would be which two of the all time best would have teamed up to be the dream backcourt at UMass? :idea:

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Oooohhhh.....nice.....I'll chew on that for awhile.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 pm

I've already nominated Eldridge and Uzi. 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 am

philosopher wrote:I suppose the next evolution of this thread would be which two of the all time best would have teamed up to be the dream backcourt at UMass? :idea:
Paddilla-Travieso ?

Just kidding. Maybe? This question requires a lot of thought.

Just how well would a Carl Smith/Monty Mack, a Eldridge/McCoy or a Lowe/Clarence Hill combo work?

For those who don't know Hill (1962-66) is the only guard ,maybe the only UMASS player other then Erving, to average more then 22 points a game in consecutive seasons.
Anyone know who Clarence's PG was? Or was Clarence a PG? I notice he once had 13 assists in one game.
"This is my dream job''

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:17 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:Lappas had a direct pipeline to all the slices of ham in Canada.

Oh wait, is that Canadian Bacon?
LMAO!! :lol: :) :lol:
Best laugh here in a year!
Thank you, thank you!!

On the subject of combining guards...

1.) Lorenzo Sutton and Alex Eldridge were absolutely the best at what they were asked to do while at UMass.

IMHO, 'Zo Sutton was the best pure shooter to ever play at UMass and Boo Eldridge was a wizard with the ball in his hands. He drove coach Jack nuts but he was very, very good at playing point guard. Their games would fit with the players today and both would be stars.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

my combo

Post by Marty Peretz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Burns/McClay.

PTrainXL
Senior

Post by PTrainXL » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 pm

I have a feeling our best backcourt duo will be ahead of us.... hopefully. There is no way it is Lowe with anyone, he was great in Ford's system, but that is such a guard friendly offense, just see what he does at OK State when he gets his players. This year when hes in a different offense I just keep getting more frustrated with him whenever I listen. I think hes a good player, but should not be considered at all in best backcourt ever at UMass.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Unfortuntately although Lowe is a good PG. Last night's game show why he cannot be in the best backup combo in UMASS history.

For whatever reason he has been unable to lead his team to a victory in a close game. Last night was the latest example. In the last minutes of a very close game he simply passed the ball to Jimmy Baron, and on a one-on-one break-a-way
against a smaller player he not only didn't score the hoop he got called for an offensive foul.

I enjoy watch Lowe play. He is a very good player who can do some amazing things.
He played a very good game most of the night but when it came to cruch time nothing. A great PG has to finish the game.

NOTE: I am not saying Lowe lost the game for UMASS only that his play this year in cruch time doesn't qualify him and Harris is one of top three best backcourts in UMASS history.
"This is my dream job''

Umass89
Junior

Post by Umass89 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 am

nale wrote: He played a very good game most of the night but when it came to cruch time nothing. A great PG has to finish the game.

NOTE: I am not saying Lowe lost the game for UMASS only that his play this year in cruch time doesn't qualify him and Harris is one of top three best backcourts in UMASS history.
....any thoughts after yesterday's game?
Llewelyn Moss: Is uh, Carson Wells there?
Anton Chigurh: Not in the sense that you mean.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:48 am

He has shown flashes of being very clutch late in games this year (like last year), but he also has shown to not be all that clutch this year (unlike last year, or his career for that matter). Calling nale out on a reaction to one game is a bit unfair, since Lowe has been so up and down this season.

farkdogg
Sophomore

Post by farkdogg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Now is this debate based on pure talent or is it based on success in the post season ...??
You Can't Stop The Tower of Babul!!!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: Lowe & Harris --- best backcourt combo ever at UMASS?

Post by harbo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Seeing the enthusiasm for our near-term guard combo, I figured I could resurrect this thread from a decade ago to show what they are up against. Seems to me we had a pretty good guard combo about six years ago that would have gotten some discussion in this thread.